Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

03 SL500 GLOVE BOX/COMPARTMENT WON'T OPEN

65K views 37 replies 34 participants last post by  ABonanno 
#1 ·
The Glove compartment on my sl500 won't open, the 2 back compartments do open when i unlock, can anyone help me?

Also the lower comparment of my arm rest is stuck to the one on the top and it won't lock in the central console, i have to manually separate the 2 compartments by releasing the latch and i have to manually release the latch so the lower compartment would fix into the console, can someone please help me with this too,

Thanks

#2 ·
The Glove compartment on my sl500 won't open...
A typical bicycle uses cables to connect the brake levers to the calipers. Similarly, the R230 uses a cable to connect the the glove box door release button to the latch on the box. This cable can stretch, lose tension, and no longer open the latch -- this is probably your problem.

The cable can be tightened by rotating the knurled nut in the direction of the arrow (picture) using a flat-blade screwdriver. You access the nut from the side of the dash after prying-off the cover on the side of the dash (#5 in picture).

For your other problem you may find it helpful to have a look at the R230 Tech DVD which you can order here: Star Service CDs and DVDs. It includes procedures for disassembling many of the components on the car.

Attachments

#4 ·
I really didn't understand from the picture that I was looking down at the top of the glove box from above. I didn't see the nut from looking in at the side but I did see the cable. I hooked the cable with a special MB tool made from a white coat hanger and pulled slightly while pushing the button and it poped open. I triggered the latch with the same special tool and adjusted the nut from inside the glove box till pushing the button popped it. Don't you just love German engineering? I wonder if they have ever seen the glove box lock on any '55 model american car? How many of those do you think don't work 60 years later. My wife said she has been having trouble with it for a couple of years. She mentioned it today. The warranty expired in May.

#5 ·
GREAT TIP THANKS

my glovebox been shut since got car 3 years ago -couldnt work it out thanks to this post got in -no cash or jewels though !

took end panel off shone torchin and saw cable and adjuster -borrowed a long straght trim hook (like a screwdriver with little bend on tip)and turned wheel towards me -pushed button and box works fine now :D:D:D

if you can get tool saves any undoing of screws - watch out for end panel sliders though not very strong.

once again many thanks to previous posters who took the time to share the knowledge :thumbsup:

al

#8 · (Edited)
great post bobterry99!.......great pix and directions!
I agree ... very glad I found this thread with a little searching. It saved me a lot of time. There's no way I would have ever found that little adjustment wheel without completely disassembling the glove box otherwise.

Even with the instructions, it took a little while before spotting it. It turns out that my view was obscured by some sort of cable running through the area blocking my view and I didn't see any sign of the wheel even though it looks like it should be fairly obvious based on the size in the picture. To add a little more direction as far as exactly where to look for anybody else who may not see it right away, look directly into the side opening after you pry off the cover (perpendicular to the actual plane of the opening) and the wheel is located about 8-10 inches deep just about in the middle of the opening you're working with. You will not see a large part of the wheel, but merely the top 20% of it or so sticking up above the horizontal flat plastic "roof" of the glove box from that angle (which will be at the very bottom of your view, since you will be looking just above it).

Also, pushing the wheel (with a long, flat screwdriver) about a dozen clicks is what worked for me (as shown in the picture). I didn't need to hook it as Mayfair mentioned. (I was working on a 2003 SL500.)

One more thing ... if anybody knows how to actually remove the glovebox, some instructions for that or a link would be a great addition to the thread. I realized that the glove box light was not turning off with the little switch that was supposed to control it when you'd close it. I just pulled the light bulb out for now, but someday, I may try to delve into it further and actually pull it out to fix it (probably not that likely though). :)

Anyway, thanks again to bobterry and everyone else who contributed to the thread ... excellent post!

#9 ·
Yea, this works like a charm

2003 SL 5

My mom complained about glovebox not opening.

Reached in as instructed, used a very thin screwdriver initially to lift on the cable, popped glovebox open.

Wouldn't ya know it - registration was stuck in the latch! (mom for you...)

But, upon further testing, tension was in fact shot (possibly due to my slight lifting, but I seriously doubt it).

Tightened the small wheel as instructed, total time <10 minutes.

Thank you!

#11 ·
Instructions works like a charm. Difficult to see the little wheel. I found if you closed the door and push the button you can see the cable move then if you look closely you can see the white wheel. Great instructions. I'm so glad i fixed it myself. This would have cost a few hundred bucks at the dealer no doubt.

#13 ·
SL Glove box not opening

We had a 2005 SL500 - same problem; press release button on glove box but door will not release. Note on RHD UK cars when you are looking at the plastic wheel fron the passenger door through the inspection panel you need to rotate this downwards with a screwdriver (ie counter clock wise when sitting in driving seat) to tighten the cable. It is a bit fiddly but all you need is a torch and a long flat blade screwdriver.

#15 ·
Tried this fix last weekend with 100% success. It might help to note that the large picture in POST #2 is a plan view (looking DOWN) with the front of the car at the top. The adjustment wheel is farther back towards the fire wall (Post #12) than I was expecting and it took a few attempts before I realized what I was looking at from the side view. The door is in the way, so you have to stuff your head right up to the opening to see inside. The small blade screw-driver has to be at least 6 inches long to access the wheel and you push the top of the wheel away from you (towards the driver side) to tighten. CLICK-CLICK and the button now works!

#21 ·
2003 SL500 glove compartment won't open

I just bought this car recently and now the glove box won't open I made sure it was unlocked. All other compartments open but this one won't, anybody had this happen? I'm pretty handy with a full set of tools at my disposal. Excuse me for not searching previous post but i'm new to the process.

#24 ·
Remove the panel, item 5 in the pic, it is a press fit and pulls off and then you can access the mechanism to open the box.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.