SL500 Performance Upgrade ? - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R230 SL Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2009, 07:05 AM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2008
Vehicle: 2003 sl500 Black AMG Sport Pkg
SL500 Performance Upgrade ?

Is there any such thing as a performance upgrade pkg/chip/module, etc. for the lowly sl500 ? (2003 sl500, non-sport, normal engine, etc.)

Anybody out there have any experience with such? (power boost worth the effort, mpg, etc?)

Thx.
Cor
CorAegean is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2009, 08:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2008
Vehicle: 2005 SL50K
Hi CorAegean,
sure there is but it costs, find a kleemann authorized shop. and you can make your lowly sl500 into a beast.. here's a link to two places

Kleemann - Performance

a relative price list at GMP performace
Engine: -Superchargers - from GMP Performance

yeah, I know? its a bit of change.. but its is the only one that will not be detrimental to your engines' longevity..
hope it helped.. i'm getting a K2 upgrade on my 05 sl500 3/2/09.. maybe an exhaust depending on how much space is left on my CCard.
sunand
Kleemann Headers
BHI Bluetooth module
Carlsson rear deck spoiler
ADV.1 wheels
Eisenmann (Race) 4x120x77 oval exhausts
Renntech Lowering Module
Kleemann Supersport Camshafts
AMG Brake upgrade
AMG Rear Bumper (needed it for the Eisenmann exhaust)

2007 ML63 AMG

MISSION/Mcallen, TEXAS
Sunandmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle: 2005 SL500 Iridium Silver/Ash with wood trim upgrade...
There's also Veloce Performance (Veloce Performance) that sell an ECU upgrade. It can take the 302hp 5.0L up to about 335hp or so.

I was going to get one until my wife shot me down pretty hard. I'll have to wait until I can sneak it past her -- which is hard because the SL is my daily driver.

Rook
Rook3001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 03:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

just as an add on. As in my earlier post i discussed the performance upgrades. well, I got to e-mail cory(a tech Manager at Kleemann) and I got a bit more information associated w/ my upcoming mods. cory can provide you with information pertaining to service and maintenance of KLEEMANN supercharger systems.

with the kompressor,headers and ecu upgrade. on the naturally aspirated V8 a car should yeild about 480-490 crank HP/TQ pretty easily. You can expect performance similar to an SL55, although the 55 makes a bit more torque. So, you're looking at 0-60 times in the high 4-second range- 4.8-4.9, 1/4 mile times in the mid 12's, etc. he also stated that the difference is immediate, there is no breakin period. he suggested driving of a full tank of gas for the ECU remapping to take effect.. apparantly its a adaptive process and takes the amout of time you would burn of a tank of gas.... so anyway.. I will post pictures of the take down and the build up and I will try to video the changes on my sony Handy cam. and place a link in youtube. for anybody that is interested and i guess it would be good advertising for Motorwerks of Houston.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:16 AM   #5 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2009
Best performance upgrade on this car is to trade it in on a 2005 SL55. Great prices can be had.

Make sure your will is up to date before you do. And please, go to a driving course and learn how to control 493 HP!
Sg5845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 09:00 AM   #6 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle: 2005 SL500 Iridium Silver/Ash with wood trim upgrade...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sg5845 View Post
Make sure your will is up to date before you do. And please, go to a driving course and learn how to control 493 HP!
Just the other day I was reminded of how I really don't need the SL55. I'd get into too much trouble. As it was, I was behind a car doing 40 in a 45 so I auto-sticked it down three gears and punched it to get around. It was a perfectly dry day and the traction control light blinked a few times as I roared around for the pass! With 493hp, I'd just liquefy the tires!

Rook
Rook3001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 11:02 AM   #7 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

No Doubt. I posted to another thread that I test drove the SL55, was on the interstate doing 65, floored it to go around someone and it fished tailed. Before I could take my foot off the gas, I was at 110 MPH.

I politely thanked the salesman, handed him the keys and bought an '07 SL550. 382 HP is plenty for me!
Old 03-05-2009, 08:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Thanks guys, that is good input. I'm still here in Houston, and I have been actively taking part in the Install, its quite a bit of work.. stripping down the engine, and helping Ty who is the main MB certified Mechanic and Sunil who has done several of these upgrades. Its a big job. Nonetheless, all the guys there suggested the same thing.. to take it easy for a while and get used to it. I think I will have to take some type of driving course soon.. but I will be thankful.. Tommorow we flush the intercooler and connect the electricals for the fuel pressure regulator, then it will be the headers, the ECU flash(remapp). I'm getting a Carlson lip/spoiler put on, and a Iphone adapter for the command module. then I take a 5hr drive back home.. I've camcordered the work that was done at the end of each day starting from the strip down. I will post links to vids once I upload to youtube.
Old 03-06-2009, 05:38 AM   #9 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2008
Vehicle: 03 SL 55, Renntech pkg Plus, ceramic headers, phenolic intake spacers 8mm wires 80mm TB 2nd cat del
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rook3001 View Post
Just the other day I was reminded of how I really don't need the SL55. I'd get into too much trouble. As it was, I was behind a car doing 40 in a 45 so I auto-sticked it down three gears and punched it to get around. It was a perfectly dry day and the traction control light blinked a few times as I roared around for the pass! With 493hp, I'd just liquefy the tires!

Rook
No doubt the SL55 can get you in trouble, but in can sure be a lot of fun at times. Last week on an unusually warm end on Feb weekend in central Indiana, I came along side of a rice burner with a license plate that said “TRYMEV8.” I could not resist the offer so I pulled along side and pointed down to the V8 badge on my SL55. He immediately shifted down and punched it. I just mashed it down and let the tranny do its thing. It seemed like only a few seconds later, I was doing 130 (we started at 60) and he was too many car lengths back to read SL55 on the back of my car. He was driving what appeared to be a moded Subaru WRX which is quick. I wonder if he ever figured out what kompressor meant.
cal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 06:14 AM   #10 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Classic!

Given the Subaru badge, I would hope my 550 could have enjoyed similar success! Hopefully I could still read your AMG badge but I am sure it would be disappearing on the horizon! Well done!

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R230 SL Class