Loud ticking noise when starting engine after cold night? - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R171 SLK Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2008, 08:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Nov 2004
Vehicle: Mercedes SL350 2009
Loud ticking noise when starting engine after cold night?

I get a loud ticking noise for about 30 seconds when I start the car after it has sat overnight on a cold night (sub zero).

Lasts about 30 seconds, doesn't get louder when you rev the engine but does get louder when you drive the car.

Just suddenly stops after about 30 seconds to 1 minute of driving.

Anyone have any ideas?
aquascape is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2008, 01:21 AM   #2 (permalink)
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 2005 C230K Sport Coupe 6-speed!
The most likely cause is lash adjuster noise. As the engine sits overnight, the oil drains back to the oilpan. Of course, first thing in the morning with the oil being thicker, it takes a little while for the lash adjusters to pump up with oil. It is normal on many cars, including my C240. The only time you should be concerned about it is if it doesn't go away. If it doesn't go away, the most likely cause is low oil level or bad adjusters.
Whosdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 01:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle: 05 slk350, 02 maxima, 02 accord, 99 expedition, 95 eclipse
maybe it's a bomb
tnsr35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 10:02 AM   #4 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2010
I had this same thing happen to me, wound up being a bad piston
Bryant9850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 08:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2010
Vehicle: 07' slk 55
what car/engine is this in? sounds like lifter ticking/tapping. once engine warms up the clearances fine and the lifter gets enough oil pressure. Or the secondary air injection turning on which makes a "dieseling" type noise which is normal for the newer vehicles
roadtalontsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:16 AM   #6 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2007
Vehicle: C320 4matic
My car also makes a tapping, clicking noise upon start up for a while. I havent had any problems and i've owned the car about 3-4 years.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Feb 2011
my car had a ticking nose when i drive but goes away when in N. any ideas?
jlz00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 12:09 AM   #8 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2010
Vehicle: 1993 300E 2.8 (sold), 2012 C250 (wife's), 2004 C230 (sold), 2005 E320 (sister-in-law's)
Question

My wife's car had a similar problem but it only happened once for some reason. Don't know if that was related to cold weather (we always kept the car in the garage though)...anyway, I did notice that we need to add 1.5 qt of oil as the oil level seems to be running low. We just did service B which includes changing oil, but I don't know what type of oil the mechanic changed (I think it's Mobil 1, but not sure if it's 5W40 or something else). If I go buy some Mobil 1 oil can I just top it off? Does it matter to mix two different ratings of engine oil (as long as they are both Mobil 1 synthetic)?? For colder weather what ratings of oil should I use? Thanks!
ohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:46 AM   #9 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2005
Vehicle: 2005 SLK 350/ amg kit
Send a message via Skype™ to ponzese
My SLK 2005 had the problem few years back, was one of the pulley, replaced and the clicking stopped for few years till few mont go. Bring the car in the shop 2 more times kept overnite, replace other parts but not the clicking noise, they told me they don't hear any noise at start at all. Bring my car home, start my car the next morning the noise still there. I have notice the noice only on a moist or rainy day. total bill 1700 $, problem not solved.
ponzese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2009
I had a similar problem, the engine would tick after it sat for a while, being the engine did not have a whole lot of miles I really didn't even consider the lash adjusters ("lifters" to some of you), I am a maintenance freak and change the oil every 3000 miles regardless of MB's recommendation.
While changing the oil I noticed it was taking a very long time for the oil to drain (Yea, I do it the good ole fashioned way and actually drain it!), so being the oil pan is very easy to remove I decided to remove it and have a look, I was SHOCKED to see SLUDGE come out, and not just a little, I'd say about 2.5 gallons of it. You can imagine, I was sick to my stomach and just decided to clean it out best I could, so I scooped, wiped, and brake cleaned for 2 days and let it drip for another day, afterwards I refilled it and installed a new oil filter (which was also previously clogged with sludge also) and ran the car for about 30 minutes and drained it and refilled it and replaced the filter once more.
That was probably 20 thousand miles ago and the engine is as quiet as a new one and I have never heard a tic again.
MB dealers use suction via the dipstick tube to remove your engine oil, logically I don't think this is the best method and believe this may have contributed to the sludge.
extech is offline   Reply With Quote

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R171 SLK Class