HID still flashing after Xenon = Present - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R171 SLK Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2006, 09:36 AM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle: 2006 SLK280
HID still flashing after Xenon = Present

Hi all ever since I had undertaken this project it has been a nightmare. So I have taken the car to the dealership and had them set the Xenon=present on the StarDiag and they printed out the sheet with all of the setting to show that they did the change, but my HID are still flashing and showing a headlight malfunction. Did they not save the setting after they did the change? Im not sure but on the print out they gave it said it was changed.

I'm not sure if there is a difference between US programed cars vs. non US programed cars on the StarDiag sheet but did your dealer had to change anything else on the StarDiag to make ur headlights work cause on the sheet there was also a light malfunction indicator category that could be enabled or disabled.

My kit is a philips plug and play H7 kit from Xenon-Depot the dealer said that it could be the install thats causing the problem, which I am not sure of since I just followed the instructions from the sheet and the kit does come on when I turn the lights on but it just flashes (like many of the members who had done the install before turning xenon = present) a few times and then the light goes completey off. So its either that there something wrong with the install or something wrong with the kit, or lastly the dealer lied to me or either did not save the setting for xenon=present.

If there is any MB technichian that has done the setting before and dont mind talking to my local MB tech on how to do this please let me know.

Thanks Everyone
oj411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2006, 04:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
-1-
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by oj411
Hi all ever since I had undertaken this project it has been a nightmare. So I have taken the car to the dealership and had them set the Xenon=present on the StarDiag and they printed out the sheet with all of the setting to show that they did the change, but my HID are still flashing and showing a headlight malfunction. Did they not save the setting after they did the change? Im not sure but on the print out they gave it said it was changed.

I'm not sure if there is a difference between US programed cars vs. non US programed cars on the StarDiag sheet but did your dealer had to change anything else on the StarDiag to make ur headlights work cause on the sheet there was also a light malfunction indicator category that could be enabled or disabled.

My kit is a philips plug and play H7 kit from Xenon-Depot the dealer said that it could be the install thats causing the problem, which I am not sure of since I just followed the instructions from the sheet and the kit does come on when I turn the lights on but it just flashes (like many of the members who had done the install before turning xenon = present) a few times and then the light goes completey off. So its either that there something wrong with the install or something wrong with the kit, or lastly the dealer lied to me or either did not save the setting for xenon=present.

If there is any MB technichian that has done the setting before and dont mind talking to my local MB tech on how to do this please let me know.

Thanks Everyone
Sorry you're having problems. Hopefully someone here who's upgraded to Xenon lights via an aftermarket kit can help out. I would suggest you go back and verify your work. Make sure everythings connected correctly, good ground, etc. Could be some defective components with the kit you have. I'd try disconnecting the power wire to each ballast, and run a temporary hot wire directly from the battery to verify the lights power up and stay lit. Verify the kit is working properly, and then concentrate on the car. REMEMBER, BE CAREFUL working with an HID kit, the ballast puts out HIGH VOLTAGE. Good luck and let us know how things work out.
-1- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 05:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Feb 2006
Vehicle: Mercedes Slk 350
I have the same problem with my Xenon Headlights. I installed OEM headlights and the setting did not help (Xenon=present on the StarDiag).
This is from other guy-
"He has to connect the Star Diagnostic computer to the car and then set xenon=present but he also needs to check the "ZGW" that is how it's called in the German version of the computer. I will try to find out what the Englisch variant of "ZGW" is. Fot what I have seen it's not difficult but you have to know where to look in the computer. If you need more informatio please let me know I will ask my mechanic."

Looks like there is something with ZGW, but no one knows what is it.
Jarekjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 04:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
-1-
BenzWorld Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarekjp
I have the same problem with my Xenon Headlights. I installed OEM headlights and the setting did not help (Xenon=present on the StarDiag).
This is from other guy-
"He has to connect the Star Diagnostic computer to the car and then set xenon=present but he also needs to check the "ZGW" that is how it's called in the German version of the computer. I will try to find out what the Englisch variant of "ZGW" is. Fot what I have seen it's not difficult but you have to know where to look in the computer. If you need more informatio please let me know I will ask my mechanic."

Looks like there is something with ZGW, but no one knows what is it.
Did you remove the Xenon light assemblies? What a pain in the a zz. I can't believe dealer service can't get it right. Let us know what you find out. I'm looking for a OEM set of Xenons. Others will also want to know.
Old 05-12-2006, 01:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle: 2006 SLK280
Any MB tech out there now the exact reason why the aftermarket xenon light flashes? I was wondering is it because of the error reported to the computer or is a wattage error thats creating the strobe or is it that there is no bulb in the original socket that creates the flashing of the headlights. Cause I was reading that regular halogen is 55w and the HID's are 35w but if you intall the lighting system like in a Honda or Ford etc where they dont give a light malfunction error on the dash the light works fine.

So I was just wondering since I am still on the trail to fixing the problem waiting for the resistors to come in for the headlights that simulates a draw to trick the computer into thinking that there are factory headlights in the housing.

Lastly my final question is that when you turn xenon = present what exactly does it do. Does it A. make the computer accept that if there is only 35w coming from the circuit not to create a error code or does it actually make the wiring only supply 35W to the lights. I know neither of that really matters since the aftermarket draws its power directly from the battery but my problem is with if the lights draw the power directly from the battery then it really doesnt matter what the original light socket wattage is different or not so I am just confused why the headlight is flashing since the power is connected directly to the battery and the other part that is connected to the factory headlight harness acts as a turn on and off mechanism that should only trigger the lights to come on and not power them.

Sorry for such a long and confusing e-mail and thanks everyone again.

Well anyways I will be putting in the regular halogens back this weekend until the resistors come in. Can't be driving at night with no headlights now, man ever since i got this car its been sitting in the garage more then me driving it.
oj411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 07:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Feb 2006
Vehicle: Mercedes Slk 350
I finally got my Bi-xenon lights fixed. They work perfectly. I went to MB dealer and I talk to very knowledgeable guy who knew his stuff. He told me that there is 3 different areas for setting Bi-xenon = PRESENT.
1. Main diagnostic in controller
2. Gateway
3. IP-instrument cluster.

He only changed the first 2 settings, the 3-rd one he said it would be too complicated and did not know what would be the impact. It cost me $29.00+tax. My advice to you is don’t talk to service guys, don’t tell them what you are doing. Just tell them that you want Bi-xenon = PRESENT settings and that tech knows what to do and than talk to the tech.
Jarekjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 08:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
-1-
BenzWorld Extremist

GREAT! Thanks for the info for future reference. Glad you got your xenons working - ENJOY!
Old 06-06-2006, 11:34 AM   #8 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2005
Vehicle: R171 200 AMG Kit
Nice Happy to see you got your xenons working, I too bought the H7 kit from xenon depot and am having identical problems.

Jarek, when you had the preset set to Xenon the first time and they still flashed, did the 2 malfunctions show up on-screen ?

I'll just be printing out this thread and taking it along with me to the garage tomorrow

Many Thanks
SteveJ
StephenJnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 11:28 AM   #9 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2005
Vehicle: R171 200 AMG Kit
Turns out I had the exact same problems as you oj411 (Exact same kit from XenonDepot), the car had been set to XENON = PRESENT but they where still flashing & turning off... However, as I was just about to give up I decided to take apart and have a look at the OEM xenon on my fathers CLK, I got an idea.

Then looked about ont he web for other pics of HID kits with a similar hook up, I ended up cutting the relay cable off completely and done an install similar to the OEM version, without the relay and connection to the battery & it works great

I had to snip the cable that goes from the ballast to the battery, say about 14" and then crimped the bare cables (Red & Black) with spades so they would fit into the factory H7 connector. I then slotted the Red spade intot he yellow and the black into the brown & they work great no blinking or errors on the screen. And no need to look for resistors to trick the computer either

Heres a pic of the wiring layout I based the mod on.
Attached Thumbnails
HID still flashing after Xenon = Present-howtoconnecthid.jpg  
StephenJnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 02:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Vehicle: 2000 C230k
hey man can you give a little more detail how you cut the wires and stuff. Im trying to do the same thing but a little confused. i would REALLY appreciate it. thanks.
whitec230k is offline   Reply With Quote

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R171 SLK Class