Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Any ideas on a "Beep-on-lock/unlock" mod?

4K views 22 replies 18 participants last post by  Ikarus 
#1 ·
A major oversight by MB is not including an audible alert to let you know when you've locked or unlocked the SLK. Invariably I end up pressing the remote at least twice to check that the lights flash while I'm walking away from the car - and even then, I'm not always sure that I've not pressed the unlock button by mistake.

I was wondering if anyone else finds this an annoyance, and whether anyone has come up with an after-market mod which will beep the horn when you''re locking and unlocking the car.

#3 ·
Essellkay350 said:
A major oversight by MB is not including an audible alert to let you know when you've locked or unlocked the SLK. Invariably I end up pressing the remote at least twice to check that the lights flash while I'm walking away from the car - and even then, I'm not always sure that I've not pressed the unlock button by mistake.
I don't think it's necessarily an oversight. I read somewhere it is due to EU legislation to cut down on noise. Does any other recent new car still make any noise when you lock it?

#4 ·
Found it - it's directive 95/56/EC:

http://europa.eu.int/smartapi/cgi/sga_doc?smartapi!celexapi!prod!CELEXnumdoc&lg=en&numdoc=31995L0056&model=guichett

4.6.1. To provide information on the status of the immobilizer (set/unset, change of set to unset and vice versa), optical displays inside and outside the passenger compartment are allowed. The light intensity of optical signals installed outside the passenger compartment shall not exceed 0.5 cd.

4.6.2. If an indication of short-term 'dynamic' processes such as changes from 'set' to 'unset' and vice versa is provided, it shall be optical, according to paragraph 4.6.1. Such optical indication may also be produced by the simultaneous operation of the direction indicators and/or passenger compartment lamp(s), provided that the duration of the optical indication by the direction indicators does not exceed 3 seconds.
There might be a software setting for non-EU countries somewhere, but I doubt many people are bothered enough to go looking.

#7 ·
RonJeffries said:
The mirrors fold??? On all cars, or is that an option by country or choice?
It is indeed only Euro cars that have this option - as long as you ordered it ;) I must admit I have them set to fold in when I lock the car, a really great visual aid!!! :)

#8 ·
Essellkay350 said:

I was wondering if anyone else finds this an annoyance, and whether anyone has come up with an after-market mod which will beep the horn when you''re locking and unlocking the car.
I remember reading in some previous posts some months ago that there actually is a setting for audible lock/unlock that is disabled in the star diagnostics. If I recall, it is enabled in certain countries (I believe the Netherlands was one).

This was definitely not an oversight by MB, just subject to regional tastes and/or laws and is, in fact, built in to your car. It just happens to be disabled for your region.

#9 ·
steve-p said:
I don't think it's necessarily an oversight. I read somewhere it is due to EU legislation to cut down on noise. Does any other recent new car still make any noise when you lock it?
I suspect you're right steve. Here in France, nobody, but nobody ever uses the horn - even in an obvious warning situation. I do believe it's actually illegal to use your horn.

Unfortunately for me, my SLK was made for the American market, and so doesn't have the folding mirror option. I can see why it's almost a necessity in Europe though . . . . I've seen so many broken wing mirrors which were obviously caused by cars trying to pass parked cars in the small confines of narrow Euro streets.

#14 ·
mazeeka said:
I think the car lockes it self afier a minute automatically.
Sometime when i wak away from it after takeing the key out with me the car locks it self.
I wouldn't count a "sometime" lock :)

I know that if you unlock the car and don't get in, it will automatically relock after a short time. Perhaps it is if you don't start it, it will relock. In any case, I don't think it will normally automatically lock itself.

#15 ·
A few years ago my brother purchased an aftermarket alarm for his car, clifford i think it was, and it always made a great, distinctive beep when it was locked and unlocked. That was uk spec and not too long ago either.

Folding mirrors is an option in the uk, not standard on the 200, 280 or 350, although maybe on the 55, not sure on that.

#17 ·
If I'm reading this correctly then you're talking about getting the UK SLK to beep when the alarm arms / disarms?? My 350 didn't when I got it but it was no problem for the dealer to switch it on. I now get 1 beep on unlock and 3 when I lock it. I find it kinda handy.

#18 ·
Can anyone post any hints about where in Stardiag the function is located to enable audible (horn) lock indications.? Please.

I'll be bringing mine in for service soon, and want to get this enabled, while there. But given my previous discussions with Service, if it take some effort to find, they will deny it exists.

#20 ·
mtiede said:
I wouldn't count a "sometime" lock :)

I know that if you unlock the car and don't get in, it will automatically relock after a short time. Perhaps it is if you don't start it, it will relock. In any case, I don't think it will normally automatically lock itself.
When you unlock the car and do not open the doors or do something else, like put the key in the ignition, then it will lock again ( I believe in 60 seconds).

#22 ·
roof module

Mine never made a peep until I added the remote roof module. It now has a slight chirp (not a horn) when I go to lock it. I know it's a bit of and expensive add-on just to get the alarm to sound, but the added functions of the roof module will make you glad you got it (I love being able to put my roof down from my office window 5 minutes before I go out on a sunny afternoon to let the car cool:).

#23 · (Edited)
You don't need a roof module for that, nor any other "mod". Just have the dealer enable the beep. They might try to turn you away telling you it can't be done (mine tried to pull that on me), but that's definitely not true. One thing they absolutely refused to change because of liability concerns was turning off that stupid seat belt warning. Even this can be done though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.