Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

J.D. Power rankings

2K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  duketango 
#1 ·
"Mercedes-Benz, formerly
synonymous with quality, now is buried in
the depths of the J.D. Power rankings."

This statement published in Winding Road Magazine, is it true? MB ranks low on the J.D. POwer?

How is the ranking calculated? By model or by marque?

Does anyone care about this ranking? I tought the SLK looked better than Z4 and Boxster, it never ocurred to me to look it up in this ranking. I am now curious to see these JD power rankings and how everyone else ranks, probably Lexus and Infinity rank high.

#3 ·
IIRC, Nearly all Japanese and Korean brands ranked high. BMW was somewhere in the middle and MB was somewhere on the bottom but I don't base my purchase on any of these reports. I drive, I like, I buy. That simple, that's what the warranty is for [:D]

#4 ·
It's amazing how far the Korean cars have come in terms of reliability and overall driveability. However, I still wouldn't be caught dead in one of their insipid designs... They still have far to go before they build cars that would stir my blood. [xx(]

There are bunch of Japanese cars that make my blood boil, but they still lack that refined touch.

#7 ·
My SLK has been nearly perfect in all respects, except for a minor buzz from the enclosure of the instrument cluster. Not bad for an early delivery of a new model with a brand new engine and a new transmission.

That being said, in answer to the OP, in last year's Power ratings and Consumer Reports reliability ranking, the old S500 was the overall least reliable model of all cars rated, and the E class was the 5th from the bottom.

#8 ·
reallife - 4/14/2006 2:17 PM

I would guess that the AMG cars rank at the top of satisfaction and initial quality. Mine was impecable in finish and initial quality. By far the best car I've ever owned. [:D]
I second that. The build quality of my SLK55 is much higher than that of my previous car,E46 M3, and the SLK55 is by far the best car that I have ever owned. No problems at all so far.

By the way, I got a Scion xA today. What a nice wee car. Am luving it:)
0 to 60mph = 9 sec.... FAST!!! Oh, I got three pedals :)

Cheers

#9 ·
I really think that these ratings, based as they are on customer feedback, are slated towards marques owned by less discriminating consumers. It would seem that a soccer mom, driving around with 3 rambunctious kids in the back, trying to get to school, would be less concerned with the buzz under the dashboard or the ill-fitting glovebox lid than the perfectionist SLK owner. I know that we have a lot higher threshold of expectations for our vehicles, and therefore will visit service for the slightest provocation. This I feel tilts the surveys in favor of the mass-market cars. What would you say?

#11 ·
duketango - 4/15/2006 1:07 AM

I really think that these ratings, based as they are on customer feedback, are slated towards marques owned by less discriminating consumers...This I feel tilts the surveys in favor of the mass-market cars. What would you say?
Explain how Lexus being number one fits in your theory then? Also how was it Mercedes used to be number one?

#12 ·
Good Call Julien - well Lexus is just... Lexus. The damn things are pretty freakin' perfect. And I'll agree that the new Mercs aren't built like they used to be. But what ever looked as good as an SLK? [:D][:D] I still stand by my theory though... maybe as MB's demographic gets younger, they are less tolerant of minor production issues. Ah, who am I kidding - there are thousands of SLK's running around burning oil like a '71 Nova. Whateva - we bought s*#t!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.