Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Poll: Have you had a fog lamp lens break?

• Yes, I had one break.

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • No, I have been lucky so far.

Votes: 54 75.0%

Poll: Have you had a fog lamp lens break?

3K views 34 replies 20 participants last post by  GernBlansten 
#1 ·
I have to get my fog lamp lens replaced tomorrow. I don't remember hearing it break while driving. Presumably a rock struck it.

Who else has had this happen? I tapped on the other one and they seem destined to break.[:(]

#7 ·
GernBlansten - 1/25/2006 7:00 PM

RonJeffries - 1/25/2006 5:58 PM

Actually I attribute my lenses not breaking to skill rather than luck. [:)]
Clearly, I could use some advice.
So when you see a rock coming toward you, time its bounces and project its trajectory. Accelerate or brake so as to encounter the rock when it's down, and position the appropriate tire so as to run over it and keep it down. (That way it won't bounce up and put an ugly mark on your frame.)

If the rock is not bouncing, or not bouncing fast enough to let the braking/accelerating trick work, then the ideal strategy is to move the car so that the rock goes by on one side or another. Usually it's best to make the shorter move, i.e. if the rock is going to hit the right light, move left. Sometimes the situation may require you to move the other way.

In rare circumstances, it may be necessary to position the car so as to let the rock go in the slots of the grille, but this is not to be recommended except if absolutely necessary.

Now this next (and last)technique is most effective, but only if you are prepared. It is necessary to have a small selection of rocks handy in the car -- the little tray under the ash tray can be a good place to keep them. When you see a rock coming, grab one of your own rocks from the tray, and using a sidearm motion out the driver's window, hurl your rock so as to strike the oncoming rock and knock it to the ground before it strikes the car. After a bit of practice, you'll find that this is relatively easy if the rock is coming at the driver's side, and rather more difficult if it's coming at the passenger side. Of course, if your passenger can do it, that will work, but usually they are too busy playing with the radio, or your knee.

I hope this was helpful ...

#8 ·
So when you see a rock coming toward you, time its bounces and project its trajectory. Accelerate or brake so as to encounter the rock when it's down, and position the appropriate tire so as to run over it and keep it down. (That way it won't bounce up and put an ugly mark on your frame.)

If the rock is not bouncing, or not bouncing fast enough to let the braking/accelerating trick work, then the ideal strategy is to move the car so that the rock goes by on one side or another. Usually it's best to make the shorter move, i.e. if the rock is going to hit the right light, move left. Sometimes the situation may require you to move the other way.

In rare circumstances, it may be necessary to position the car so as to let the rock go in the slots of the grille, but this is not to be recommended except if absolutely necessary.

Now this next (and last)technique is most effective, but only if you are prepared. It is necessary to have a small selection of rocks handy in the car -- the little tray under the ash tray can be a good place to keep them. When you see a rock coming, grab one of your own rocks from the tray, and using a sidearm motion out the driver's window, hurl your rock so as to strike the oncoming rock and knock it to the ground before it strikes the car. After a bit of practice, you'll find that this is relatively easy if the rock is coming at the driver's side, and rather more difficult if it's coming at the passenger side. Of course, if your passenger can do it, that will work, but usually they are too busy playing with the radio, or your knee.

I hope this was helpful ...[/QUOTE]

[8D]

#9 ·
RonJeffries - 1/25/2006 5:39 PM

...Now this next (and last)technique is most effective, but only if you are prepared. It is necessary to have a small selection of rocks handy in the car -- the little tray under the ash tray can be a good place to keep them. When you see a rock coming, grab one of your own rocks from the tray, and using a sidearm motion out the driver's window, hurl your rock so as to strike the oncoming rock and knock it to the ground before it strikes the car. After a bit of practice, you'll find that this is relatively easy if the rock is coming at the driver's side, and rather more difficult if it's coming at the passenger side. Of course, if your passenger can do it, that will work, but usually they are too busy playing with the radio, or your knee.

I hope this was helpful ...
Ron,, Clearly you've been watching too much Kung Fu movies.

#14 ·
CP1 - 1/25/2006 11:50 PM

BTW, I had to replace BOTH foglights. I now have clear plastic covers that I made over the lenses.
I did have the plastic guy at the dealer put plastic over my headlamps and I imagine that he did the fog lamps as well. Maybe that's an element of the skill thing I was talking about too ...

#17 ·
Mine are still intact. 14 months and 25,000km's.

#18 ·
1,000 miles on my 2006 SLK55 and so far no lens breaking - yet.
Car is in my garage until the Spring, so we'll see what happens when I start driving it again in late April....[;)]

#22 ·
Motzkoman - 1/26/2006 11:07 AM

Knock on wood, mine have survived 22,000 miles and the attached break of the front bumper...they are now in a new bumper...[B)]

The bumper was cracked when running over something on the freeway in the dark (possibly a truck tire remnant)...[:eek:)]
I did the same thing in my wife's Accord. Ouch.

#23 ·
GernBlansten - 1/26/2006 1:31 PM

$180 to replace the fog lamp. I also asked about my floormat. I posted earlier about a hole where my heel goes. That's covered under warranty so I get a new mat.
Of course your $10 worth of new car mat is covered, MB sure knows how to milk us for our money. [:D]

#24 ·
Ynot - 1/26/2006 3:46 PM

GernBlansten - 1/26/2006 1:31 PM

$180 to replace the fog lamp. I also asked about my floormat. I posted earlier about a hole where my heel goes. That's covered under warranty so I get a new mat.
Of course your $10 worth of new car mat is covered, MB sure knows how to milk us for our money. [:D]
While it's silly for them to make a fog lens out of thin glass I don't hold them directly responsible for rock damage. C'mon though, glass?

#25 ·
GernBlansten - 1/26/2006 12:31 PM

Thanks for updating us re: the cost of the damage. [:)] I'll bet you're wishing that the warranty terms were reversed so that the fog lamp, instead of the floor mat, was covered, eh? [;)]

#26 ·
The standard SLK fog lights look to be better protected and are smaller than the AMG style so I wonder if there is a substantial deference in the broken fog lights per capita between the two?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.