Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Comments on BBC Top Gear last night

2K views 33 replies 21 participants last post by  Wimbledon_SLK 
#1 ·
I didn't see it myself as I was out, apparently Clarkson got a lot of stick last night for buying the 55, they called it a "Gay MG"?!

#2 ·
Trevor Eve was the guest and he was having a go about it. Thing is, he drives a Toyota Prius and a Porsche Cayenne, so we know he knows less than nothing about cars. It was bound to be a mixed blessing JC buying one, because whatever he bought they would have been taking the piss. Let's just hope it doesn't break down or we will never hear the last of it [:)]

#6 ·
ianx, manchester - 11/14/2005 10:32 AM

Hmmm, i wonder whether we can get him to sign up here as a member!

hang on, maybe he's already registered under a pseudonym and is reading this right now ;-)
You mean, he knows how to use a computer? I thought it was mentioned he's not all that interested in PC's... although he seemed to have the hang of the M6 on-board computer as was seen in last nights show...

#7 ·
I guess this means that we'll be seeing a lot more SLKs on the roads in the near future. Clarkson has influence regardless of what most people think of him.

I wonder how much of a discount MB gave him?!

It would be interesting to see what the sales figures have been up until now, compared what they be over the 6-12 months.

#9 ·
Brian Trousers - 11/14/2005 4:08 PM
It would be interesting to see what the sales figures have been up until now, compared what they be over the 6-12 months.
There were supposed to be just 200 SLK55s a year for the UK, starting from last December. However, I'd be amazed if they haven't already sold more than the R170 AMG version during its entire life (271). I've seen half a dozen on the road already. If there were only a couple of hundred in the country, that would be quite unlikely. There seemed to be a big jump in availability for the UK in the summer. It's disappointing from a residual value point of view.

#10 ·
Surely it's not a bad thing having more SLKs around.

It's a sought after car because it does well in all the reviews. If you want exclusivity you need to either buy a niche product, or one the motoring journalists hate, or spend a LOT more than £55-60k. There's still a lengthy wait to get a new SLK.

It may go the way of the Audi TT - lots of them around 3-5 years after launch. Just remember though, all those people who dream of owning an SLK and can't afford to buy new will be wanting to spend money buying ours off of us in a year or two...

The SLK has one of the highest 3year residuals of any car in the UK - about 78% for the SLK55 I think.

#18 ·
There were supposed to be just 200 SLK55s a year for the UK, starting from last December. However, I'd be amazed if they haven't already sold more than the R170 AMG version during its entire life (271). I've seen half a dozen on the road already. If there were only a couple of hundred in the country, that would be quite unlikely. There seemed to be a big jump in availability for the UK in the summer. It's disappointing from a residual value point of view.
Steve-P, I heard similar stories about limited availability of the 350 before I committed to mine and then found them to be freely available and I see them a lot in North West London. So I reckon its all pre launch marketing bullshit to hype the car up and keep the prices up.

This was borne out on Saturday when I popped into MB Watford to see if they had their 55 AMG demonstrator. It was not there but talking to the salesman he said they had 3-4 in stock across the north London group and several other speccable slots with 3 month delivery.

The reason for my visit was that I am so pissed off with the problems I have had from day one (6 months ago)with my 350 that I am considering getting out of the car. One option is to consider upgrading to the AMG but I am not sure if all that extra money is worth it for 0.6 seconds.. What do you AMG drivers say - is it that much better than the 350 ?

#19 ·
Innherb
I'm also on the brink of off-loading my SLK.I mean bloody Clarkson has one and I was out on Sunday roof down went to the Porsche dealer in Chester and then lunch and drive through Delamere Forest.I saw 7, that's 7 SLk's in Silver withing 3 hours.I had the roof off and only 2 others did.It's great with the seats on full heat & Airscarf.But I check the oil before EVERY journey and I found the car a little tiring on longish runs.The steering is not a patch on my previous car,BMW 530 (E39).Problem is I would lose a shit load of money off-loading now.Considered an AMG but agree the extra dosh doesn't justify the gain in performance. Suppose we should think ourselves lucky to be moaning about such cars.Time was I moaned if I got an 'L' instead og a 'GL' rep-mobile.[:D]

#20 ·
LETO - 11/14/2005 9:03 AM

is top gear still available on the discovery channel in the US. If so @ what time/day?
Nope. Discovery abruptly took it off.

It is now listed in the main show listing of BBC America, but they don't have any air dates announced. I emailed them, but just got a form letter reply. Maybe if enough people emailed them it might spur some action.

There's always BitTorrent ....

#21 ·
We get Top Gear on Sat and Sun in Canada on BBC Canada but they must be different shows then are broadcast in the UK. I watched both episodes this weekend and they didn't talk about the SLK on either. For those in Canada, the show is on at 7:00 EST on BBC Canada.

#23 ·
You should download the Top Gear videos on the internet. In my opinion, better than any auto shows here in the states. Since most of the auto racing here is the typical NASCAR garbage, it's refreshing to see them really put all the stuff you read in C&D, R&T, etc onscreen. You really see all the supercars and such in action.

Duo-Art - 11/14/2005 12:28 PM

I never even heard of Clarkson until he was mentioned on this board. His opinion means nothing to me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.