Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

good news, chicago and back in good order

2K views 29 replies 6 participants last post by  RonJeffries 
#1 ·
Drove from home near Ann Arbor to Chicago (Lisle) yesterday, did a keynote at Lucent today, then drove home. Car was wonderful.

Traffic wasn't, on the way back. I 294 went dead stop. I got off on 80 west, over and down 57 or something, then across 30 for a while. Road was full of semis doing same thing. Then back up at the Indiana border and the road was thereafter.

I called TeleAid for route information, and the person wanted to route me down to I-70, which I think goes through San Antonio or something. I demurred and used a map. I tried the Traffic option but it turns out that only works if you kick in $200 something a year which I haven't done. This is the only time I've ever used the TeleAid except for setting it up, so I'm pretty sure it's not worth the $$ for that feature.

Anyway, the car was good, top up and top down, and no one stole it at the hotel. A little under 600 miles round trip, not too shabby.

#2 ·
I am glad you had a great time! I drove from Chicago to Detroit in the mid-80's. I loved it! [:D]

How was your mileage? So far, my SLK is rather economical on motorways but city driving is ridiculously fuel-consuming.

#5 ·
When I drove from Chicago to Detroit, there was only one lane opened on the motorway through the entire state of Indiana. Everything went fine anyway. In my opinion, American roads are extremely well designed and traffic can remain fluid even on one single lane.

26mi/gal. you said? I assume this is combined motorway/city driving. Right?

#6 ·
Well, the whole trip, which certainly includes some city stuff. But IIRC the trip thingie was showing 26 most of the way across between the cities.

And the GPS was showing a max speed of 119. I'm sure that was an exaggeration :)

#7 ·
I suspect the little computer that calculates the average fuel-consumption is more or less reliable. My motorway consumption is somewhere around 32 to 36 mi/gal. Not to shabby! On the other hand, I get about 15 to 20 mi/gal. in the city. UGH!!! My car is still in it's running in period, so I drive very conservatively (changing speeds often, avoiding excess speeding and jackrabbit starts, etc.). Friends told me that I should expect some improvement after the engine is completely run in. I sure hope they are right!

#9 ·
Zut - 9/21/2005 8:09 PM
How was your mileage? So far, my SLK is rather economical on motorways but city driving is ridiculously fuel-consuming.
I've been getting great gas mileage for city driving, avg 24/mpg, car has 1200 miles now, I have manual transmission and change shift at less than 3000 rpm, there's plenty of torque in every gear. The highest I've got is 29/mpg higway driving of course.

#10 ·
Ynot - 9/22/2005 1:05 PM
I've been getting great gas mileage for city driving, avg 24/mpg, car has 1200 miles now, I have manual transmission and change shift at less than 3000 rpm, there's plenty of torque in every gear. The highest I've got is 29/mpg higway driving of course.
24mpg city and 29mpg motorway is very acceptable IMHO. I think I get terrific gas mileage on the road because I drive very conservatively (55 to 70 mph) still being in the running in stage. I just don't understand why I get such bad gas mileage in the city. [V]

#11 ·
Zut - 9/22/2005 11:31 AM

I think I get terrific gas mileage on the road because I drive very conservatively (55 to 70 mph) still being in the running in stage. I just don't understand why I get such bad gas mileage in the city. [V]
Twisty roads, stops signs, alot of traffic lights, stop and go traffic doesn't help fuel consumption. Where I live the roads are very straight and not much traffic lights. My working schedule isn't your normal 9 to 5 so, there's hardly any traffic coming and leaving work.

#12 ·
Ynot - 9/22/2005 1:36 PM
Twisty roads, stops signs, alot of traffic lights, stop and go traffic doesn't help fuel consumption. Where I live the roads are very straight and not much traffic lights. My working schedule isn't your normal 9 to 5 so, there's hardly any traffic coming and leaving work.
To be perfectly honest, I don't have to drive my SLK downtown too often (I walk to work). This car is chiefly a leisure car and I do most of my driving on roads and motorways. I envy you, Ynot. Driving in Colorado must be a very pleasant experience. [8D]

#13 ·
Welcome back, Ron.

A couple of weeks ago I had to go through Chicago (also from Ann Arbor) on my way to Colorado in the SLK. Shortly before getting into the thick of Chicago traffic, I saw an advisory sign warning of delays ahead related to an accident. Fortunately, I had the following alternate route planned, coutesy of a motorcycle forum I frequent:

"...try taking I-65 south to IN-2 at Lowell. take IN-2 west into Illinois, where it becomes IL 17. Follow IL 17 into Kankakee, to where it intersects with IL 113. Follow IL 113 northwest to IL 47. Then take IL 47 north until you get to I-90, which you take northwest." (Note: I took IL-17 all the way west to IL-47, the IL-47 back up to I-80.)

FWIW, I've tried US-30 in the past, and found it slow and very busy (suburban). I much prefer the rural detours, even if they're longer.

Coming back from Colorado, I didn't see any signs warning of trouble in Chicago so decided to chance driving through on I-80 to I-94... big mistake. That stretch always seems to be under some kind of construction, but this year is far and away the worst I've ever seen. Plus, the lanes are very narrow during construction and sometimes exit without warning, and there's a tremendous volume of truck traffic. And this wasn't even rush hour (9-10 pm on a Wednesday). Yikes! At least it wasn't raining.

Last night I got home from another, shorter (SLK) trip around Lake Michigan, but this time I bypassed Chicago entirely by way of the ferry from Manitowoc, WI to Ludington, MI. Not cheap but very relaxing, and no Chicago to deal with. In my book that's money well-spent.

BTW, my milage on both trips ranged from mid-24 to mid-28mpg. I've never seen 30mpg.

Jim
2005 Capri Blue SLK350

#15 ·
Wingnut - 9/22/2005 3:01 PM
"...try taking I-65 south to IN-2 at Lowell. take IN-2 west into Illinois, where it becomes IL 17. Follow IL 17 into Kankakee, to where it intersects with IL 113. Follow IL 113 northwest to IL 47. Then take IL 47 north until you get to I-90, which you take northwest." (Note: I took IL-17 all the way west to IL-47, the IL-47 back up to I-80.)
I entered that ion my DeLorme and it looks interesting but pretty slow. Was it? Is it a nice ride? Much traffic?

FWIW, I've tried US-30 in the past, and found it slow and very busy (suburban). I much prefer the rural detours, even if they're longer.
Agreed on the traffic. It was particularly hellacious this time with all the truckers on it.
Last night I got home from another, shorter (SLK) trip around Lake Michigan, but this time I bypassed Chicago entirely by way of the ferry from Manitowoc, WI to Ludington, MI. Not cheap but very relaxing, and no Chicago to deal with. In my book that's money well-spent.
We've done both that ferry and the fast one from muskegon to milwaukee. Both are fun in their own way.
Haven't taken the SLK on either one though. On the fast one you get to drive your own car on ... I kind of like that.

I'll leave that southern route in my mapper. Would you take it again, even if there wasn't an accident?

Thanks,

#16 ·
Further regarding the route mentioned above. My mapping software thinks the ideal 94/80 route, my house to Omaha, is 695 miles, 12 hours 15 minutes.

The route down 65 and through Kankakee is 733, and 14 hours.

Of course the time on the upper route is questionable ... but still it's a big difference, at least "on paper".

#17 ·
Zut - 9/22/2005 11:49 AM
I envy you, Ynot. Driving in Colorado must be a very pleasant experience. [8D]
You should [:D] Here's a few pictures of beautiful Colorado and cars. This is from another forum that I frequently visit, I didn't know about the meet b/c it was posted on the regional section which I don't frequent at all. I found out later when they posted pics. [:(!] Maybe next time.

#18 ·
Ynot - 9/23/2005 10:41 AM
You should [:D] Here's a few pictures of beautiful Colorado and cars. This is from another forum that I frequently visit, I didn't know about the meet b/c it was posted on the regional section which I don't frequent at all. I found out later when they posted pics. [:(!] Maybe next time.
I always wanted to see the Western States. As a matter of fact, my dream is to drive from Chicago to L.A. on old Route 66 (what is left of it, anyway). And of course, I would like to see all the other states, including beautiful Colorado. [:)]

#19 ·
Zut - 9/23/2005 10:04 AM
I always wanted to see the Western States. As a matter of fact, my dream is to drive from Chicago to L.A. on old Route 66 (what is left of it, anyway). And of course, I would like to see all the other states, including beautiful Colorado. [:)]
My opinion is the west is much more open and beautiful compare to the east. East is too crowded and conjested. If you ever make it to this side of town, let me know, I'll show you the nice twisty roads and scenic Colorado.

#20 ·
Ynot - 9/23/2005 12:21 PM
My opinion is the west is much more open and beautiful compare to the east. East is too crowded and conjested. If you ever make it to this side of town, let me know, I'll show you the nice twisty roads and scenic Colorado.
Thanks for the offer! [;)] I have travelled quite extensively in Eastern North America and yes it is rather crowded but the scenery is very nice. I have seen part of the Midwest and I loved it also. The western part of the continent is almost unknown to me. So far, I have only seen Vancouver and I flew there!

#21 ·
Zut - 9/23/2005 11:03 AM

Ynot - 9/23/2005 12:21 PM
Thanks for the offer! [;)] I have travelled quite extensively in Eastern North America and yes it is rather crowded but the scenery is very nice. I have seen part of the Midwest and I loved it also. The western part of the continent is almost unknown to me. So far, I have only seen Vancouver and I flew there!
Vancouver is very beautiful city was there last year and the year before. Love the authentic chinese food, prices are lower than here in the states. Colorado is known for skiing and the outdoors. Most ppl don't know we have a nice city life.

#22 ·
RonJeffries - 9/21/2005 8:54 PM

Drove from home near Ann Arbor to Chicago (Lisle) yesterday, did a keynote at Lucent today, then drove home. Car was wonderful.

Traffic wasn't, on the way back. I 294 went dead stop. I got off on 80 west, over and down 57 or something, then across 30 for a while. Road was full of semis doing same thing. Then back up at the Indiana border and the road was thereafter.

I called TeleAid for route information, and the person wanted to route me down to I-70, which I think goes through San Antonio or something. I demurred and used a map. I tried the Traffic option but it turns out that only works if you kick in $200 something a year which I haven't done. This is the only time I've ever used the TeleAid except for setting it up, so I'm pretty sure it's not worth the $$ for that feature.

Anyway, the car was good, top up and top down, and no one stole it at the hotel. A little under 600 miles round trip, not too shabby.
Ron,

Bad day to be at Lucent. They are my main customer. I live about 3 miles away. What was teh key note on?

#23 ·
Ynot - 9/23/2005 1:44 PM
Vancouver is very beautiful city was there last year and the year before. Love the authentic chinese food, prices are lower than here in the states. Colorado is known for skiing and the outdoors. Most ppl don't know we have a nice city life.
Hmmm, I am not so sure about the skiing part. I am aware of what is going on in these ski inns. I have seen the Shining, you know. [;)]

#24 ·
Zut - 9/23/2005 12:53 PM

Ynot - 9/23/2005 1:44 PM
Hmmm, I am not so sure about the skiing part. I am aware of what is going on in these ski inns. I have seen the Shining, you know. [;)]
Zut, turn off your tv. That will solve the problem. lol. Vail is the best ski resort in America and second in the world. The only thing shining is the sun during the summer and snow during the winter. [:D]

#25 ·
Snowball - 9/23/2005 2:49 PM

Bad day to be at Lucent. They are my main customer. I live about 3 miles away. What was teh key note on?
I was at the software development symposium they were doing in Lisle, in the building with the dish, across from the Wydham. My topic was "Stupid PetXXX Software Development Tricks"

#26 ·
Ynot - 9/23/2005 3:59 PM
The only thing shining is the sun during the summer and snow during the winter. [:D]
And I bet quite a few SLK's must shine around there too! [8D][8D][8D]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.