Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Real reason why Park distance control was deleted from '06 SLK in USA

2K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  Zut 
#1 ·
I went to Frankfurt car show yesterday and picked up brochures and pricelist for Brabus, Carlsson, and Lorinser. Carlsson CM55K looked good but Brabus 350 looked simply stunning. I also stopped by MB showroom where I chatted with a diplomatic sales rep. I asked him why park distance control was deleted off the US - he had the same question and he asked the MB factory. The factory answer was that it was because of liability - if PDC fails due to weather or snow, MB can be sued. As a result, MB will delete PDC off all models in USA sooner or later. [:(!]

There you go. Another example of how our fine legal system does disservice to us.

#2 ·
It does seem a bit ridiculous. But then, almost half of the owner's manual is stupid warnings about this, that and the other. Mercedes-Benz seem to be completely obsessed with warnings and paranoid about possible litigation, to the extent that they are prepared to deprive many thousands of buyers from having the spec they want, just in case one or two of them sue. It's the thing I like least about the company.

#4 ·
chiyosuke - 9/20/2005 9:22 PM

I went to Frankfurt car show yesterday and picked up brochures and pricelist for Brabus, Carlsson, and Lorinser. Carlsson CM55K looked good but Brabus 350 looked simply stunning. I also stopped by MB showroom where I chatted with a diplomatic sales rep. I asked him why park distance control was deleted off the US - he had the same question and he asked the MB factory. The factory answer was that it was because of liability - if PDC fails due to weather or snow, MB can be sued. As a result, MB will delete PDC off all models in USA sooner or later. [:(!]

There you go. Another example of how our fine legal system does disservice to us.
I thought it was to allow Steve to have more work doing retrofits.

#5 ·
I honestly think that is BS.
I have asked the same question and recieved the same dismissive answer.
The real reason, in my opinion, is that MBUSA decides what option list should be for the USA on thier surveys and other metrics.

They are, of course, dead wrong in this and should even out the supply of options. It would save money, and allow them to reap more profit on expensive options.
Anyone with more than one brain cell at MBUSA should have figured this out by now..... [:(!]

#6 ·
I once had some slush on one of the detectors. And while backing out from a parking spot, the car began to beep like hell.

Not seeing anything behind me, I went to take a look behind my car, thinking someone might have banged into it, but instead found a lump of dirty snow on a detector. Wiped it off and carried on my merry way.

Why would I sue for something like this? I think this is ridiculous.

I think MB is probably hoping to be able to sell more bumpers to all those people who trash theirs. After all, they cost a premieum...

#7 ·
I find it hard to believe that MB would take them off because of possible litigation. That is like saying they will not manufacture a car because it could kill someone and they can be sued. Think about it.

I think the salesperson was giving you a wild and untrue answer.

Heck, if he was correct, then all manufactures would do the same.

What is this world coming to when we actually believe a CAR SALESMAN (the biggest liars in the world).

#8 ·
SergioinMiami - 9/20/2005 11:23 PM

I find it hard to believe that MB would take them off because of possible litigation. That is like saying they will not manufacture a car because it could kill someone and they can be sued. Think about it.

I think the salesperson was giving you a wild and untrue answer.

Heck, if he was correct, then all manufactures would do the same.

What is this world coming to when we actually believe a CAR SALESMAN (the biggest liars in the world).
Hmmmm .... why was the speed limiter deleted from the American car spefication ? I have it in Australia yet its the latest mod fad in the USA because it is largely unknown there.

I would give a lot more weight to litigation prevention than BS. Any time you put a moron in a highly advanced cutting edge car the chances of being wrong are explicitly infinite. Since there is no law against being a fool then there is most certainly a law against being too generous with options.

#9 ·
After attending the AMG challenge a few months back... The 030 option is avail because MB feels the cars additions - Brakes, suspension, tire rating, etc. would sustain high speeds as those found on a track.

I got this info from the MB USA AMG product manager that was at the event getting customer feedback.

Deleting the PDC because of possible future litigation means every model would have it deleted, and in the future law could require PDC on all cars. Just like the TREAD ACT that would require tire pressure sensors on all new cars.

#10 ·
Well, I already ordered the car from a different salesperson so he nothing to gain from lying to me. Additionally, he seemed pretty knowledgeable and "in the know." Of course, I could be wrong.

However, it is true PDC can and will malfunction due to snow or dust in my experience. It only takes one person to sue after hitting their car on a pole to start a class litigation. But why is MB doing it when BMW or others apparently have no problem with it?

On the other hand, rep believed I may be able to retrofit PDC in the rear if I chose to. However, putting new rear bumpers on would cost me a pretty penny unless holes are already there... Could someone check their car and tell if holes are there or not?

#11 ·
I don't know about the US but here in Canada, the Parktronic option is available for some models, such as the SL class (for the ridiculously high price of 1,575CND). When I asked my dealer why this option was not available for the SLK, he said: "You won't miss much, many SL owners ask to have the Parktronic disabled after a while because they find it too annoying." Annoying my foot! I wouldn't have scratched my rear wheel on the kerb two weeks ago if I had this allegedly useless option. I hate it when governments and corporations decide what we need and what is good for us. [:(!]

#12 ·
Not sure why SL drivers would find it annoying as there is a button in the SLK to turn the parktronic off, unless of course the SL does not have an on/off button but that sounds rather unlikely.

I leave mine switched on all the time.

The manual says that the PTS can malfunction due to other local sources of ultrasound such as compressed air brakes or pneumatic drills.

#13 ·
Slk-Gill - 9/19/2005 5:44 PM
Not sure why SL drivers would find it annoying as there is a button in the SLK to turn the parktronic off, unless of course the SL does not have an on/off button but that sounds rather unlikely.
I totally agree with you. And I would love to have Parktronic. I just wanted to say that our dealers have pretty lame answers to our legitimate questions sometimes. [:(]

#14 ·
Perhaps M/B realizes how skillful American drivers are when it comes to parking our cars. We don't need Parktronic. We just back up until we hear a bang, then we know that we only have 6 more inches to back up. This seems to be the prefered method that I have observed during my 40 years of driving.

#15 ·
Duo-Art - 9/19/2005 5:56 PM
Perhaps M/B realizes how skillful American drivers are when it comes to parking our cars. We don't need Parktronic. We just back up until we hear a bang, then we know that we only have 6 more inches to back up. This seems to be the prefered method that I have observed during my 40 years of driving.
I take it that Skokie invented the angle parking pattern! [;)]

#16 ·
Zut - 9/19/2005 5:23 PM

I don't know about the US but here in Canada, the Parktronic option is available for some models, such as the SL class (for the ridiculously high price of 1,575CND). When I asked my dealer why this option was not available for the SLK, he said: "You won't miss much, many SL owners ask to have the Parktronic disabled after a while because they find it too annoying." Annoying my foot! I wouldn't have scratched my rear wheel on the kerb two weeks ago if I had this allegedly useless option. I hate it when governments and corporations decide what we need and what is good for us. [:(!]
I think parktronic might tell you before you back into a truck, but I don't think it's watching your wheels vs the curb. Or kerb. [:)] I've learned to use the tilting mirror for that, and have come to like it.

#17 ·
Aftermarket alternative...

I have been selling aftermarket radar backup sensors for SUVs. They use a different technology and behave differently than Parktronic ultrasonic systems. I find it quite useful in my SLK and E500. Completely concealed installation without drilling any holes in bumper. Contact me via e-mail if you want more info.

http://www.benzworld.org/gallery/showlink.asp?CatID=12705&parentID=53&subname=Aftermarket_backup_sensor&parentname=R171_SLK_Class

http://www.benzworld.org/gallery/showlink.asp?CatID=12701&parentID=53&subname=R171_Rear_Bumper&parentname=R171_SLK_Class

#19 ·
RonJeffries - 9/19/2005 8:33 PM
I think parktronic might tell you before you back into a truck, but I don't think it's watching your wheels vs the curb. Or kerb. [:)] I've learned to use the tilting mirror for that, and have come to like it.
Now I use the tilting mirror too. I love it! [:)]

About the kerb/curb thing, I am sorry. I am French-speaking and English is a tricky language to me. [:I] I just hope I don't offend anyone with my mistakes...

#21 ·
Well guys, this is a result of combinig German engineering with American lawyers.... They should remove all steering wheels immediately because if you swing them violently during a slalom run, you may hurt your wrists and sue them... Absolute should come up with a new bottle, Absolute Bull [8D]

#22 ·
Zut - 9/19/2005 8:04 PM

RonJeffries - 9/19/2005 8:33 PM
Now I use the tilting mirror too. I love it! [:)]

About the kerb/curb thing, I am sorry. I am French-speaking and English is a tricky language to me. [:I] I just hope I don't offend anyone with my mistakes...
Zut, what he was trying to tell you is that Parktronic would not have kept you from rashing your wheel with the curb. The Parktronic warns of objects directly behind your car. Also, not sure if a regular 4-6 inch curb, alerts on the Parktronic, even if directly behind you.

#23 ·
bloflin - 9/20/2005 1:09 AM
Zut, what he was trying to tell you is that Parktronic would not have kept you from rashing your wheel with the curb. The Parktronic warns of objects directly behind your car. Also, not sure if a regular 4-6 inch curb, alerts on the Parktronic, even if directly behind you.
That's what I got from your message. Thanks! [:)]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.