Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

The car became possessed today

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  veilsdegto 
#1 ·
I was driving home, cruising around 40 mph when all of a sudden, the car felt like it was stalling. I tried to give it some gas but it wouldn't go past 40mph and the rpms starting going nuts. Even when I would let off the gas, the rpms would jump but the car wouldn't speed up or slow down.

I checked and I didn't accidentally go into gear. I finally had to shift through the gears to get the car out of its funk. What gives?!?

#4 ·
veilsdegto - 9/18/2005 6:00 PM

I was driving home, cruising around 40 mph when all of a sudden, the car felt like it was stalling. I tried to give it some gas but it wouldn't go past 40mph and the rpms starting going nuts. Even when I would let off the gas, the rpms would jump but the car wouldn't speed up or slow down.

I checked and I didn't accidentally go into gear. I finally had to shift through the gears to get the car out of its funk. What gives?!?
Is this your excuse for not showing up to the SoCal get together that you setup? :) No hard feelings...

Chris

#5 ·
No, it was not although it could have been. I apologize for the no show. I ended up with some personal issues (*cough* men are pigs *cough*)(j/k) so I was not able to make it.

I also got swamped with school work because today was their first day of actual classes. I'm glad you got to meet a couple of SLK owners though.

I also noticed that the car only does its weird rpm thing when in S mode. In C mode, it seems to be OK, and I haven't tried it with M mode.

#6 ·
veilsdegto - 9/19/2005 8:34 PM
I also noticed that the car only does its weird rpm thing when in S mode. In C mode, it seems to be OK, and I haven't tried it with M mode.
Someone mentioned the same thing happening on their car. I think it was a valve issue on the tranny.

Have you checked with your dealer?

#8 ·
Shinigami - 9/19/2005 12:38 AM
Someone mentioned the same thing happening on their car. I think it was a valve issue on the tranny.

Have you checked with your dealer?
I called yesterday and found out my service advisor no longer works there. I made an appointment for Thursday but it might end up being Friday because I have a meeting after work.

It's a good thing I only live a mile from work!

Is it something they'll need the car for a while to fix? I didn't even think about asking them for a rental since it'll be a late drop off on Friday.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.