Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

MOVING - Oil Update

770 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Progenitor 
#1 ·
Well, I am moving to NC tomorrow so will be out of touch for a while. Since I won't have my car for about 10 days, I did a final oil check yesterday.

It has been about 700 miles since the dealer did whatever they did last visit and topped off the oil. The good news is that the oil is so black that I can finally see the oil level on the dipstick and it is about 3/4 full. The bad news (I think) is that the oil is REALLY black and it is 8700 miles to my scheduled oil change.

Is the oil supposed to be this black with this far to go till a change or should I get it changed when I get to NC (I think this proves the dealer did not change the oil and filter on my last visit as they stated they were going to do[V])

#2 ·
Sounds like they reused the same filter but I bet they charged MB for one. Were they aware you are moving across country? Remember even if they reused the filter you are still better off than you were before. According to MB you don't need an oil change until the first year or 12000? miles.

Are you moving to Charlotte or are you becoming a hillbilly?[:D]

#3 ·
malibuite - 9/18/2005 3:54 PM

The bad news (I think) is that the oil is REALLY black and it is 8700 miles to my scheduled oil change.

Is the oil supposed to be this black with this far to go till a change or should I get it changed when I get to NC
Hi Mal, I know this is shocking, but I've finally done 2000 miles in my SLK (in 11 months!!) - my oil is still honey (ok - oil)coloured and in 'all those miles'[:)] - it has not used a drop - the ONLY prob I've had in 1 year is the battery goin flat after leaving it for 3 weeks, when I got the new BM. Hope the move goes well 4 u, and looking forward to hearing from you again, once you get settled in.

#4 ·
My oil was honey colored up until this last visit to the dealer. Hope it means that it is fixed.

Julien: Actually, I am moving to Greensboro so maybe the "hillbilly" name fits. All I know is the first thing I want to do is order some country ham, red eye gravy, biscuits and turnip greens and be able to order breakfast where someone knows what grits are (and has them on the menu).

Last month when I was in NC, I drove on I85 from Charlotte to Greensboro and kept wondering where all the traffic was. So unbelievably different from LA where there is traffic 24 hours a day. "God's Country"[:D]

And, yes, the dealer knew i was moving cross country and even told me it was ok to drive the car cross country[:0]

#5 ·
Malibuite

Couldn't decide whether or not to give my thoughts on your predicament, but then what are these forums for if not to pass on good or bad advice.......?

I am old enough to remember the days when engines were, at the best, not too bad, and at the worst, s**t.

In the last 15 years or so however, I have never run a car where the oil even approached black between changes. In my last 3 cars the oil maintained its "almost new" appearance right the way through the change intervals, and none of them required more than a quart top up in 5000 miles.

If you have black oil at the interval you state, then there is something drastically wrong. Generally speaking, for oil to turn black that quickly your engine must be suffering from blow-by between the piston rings and cylinder walls or something similar. Whatever it is needs looking at. Sorry to sound so gloomy but try talking to your service guys with a baseball bat........[:0]

Mick

#6 ·
malibuite - 9/18/2005 3:14 PM
All I know is the first thing I want to do is order some country ham, red eye gravy, biscuits and turnip greens and be able to order breakfast where someone knows what grits are (and has them on the menu).
Stop, you're making me hungry! [:)] Cheese or butter in your grits? [:D]

Last month when I was in NC, I drove on I85 from Charlotte to Greensboro and kept wondering where all the traffic was. So unbelievably different from LA where there is traffic 24 hours a day. "God's Country"[:D]
If heavy traffic turns you off, I'll go ahead and warn you that you won't want to visit Atlanta. [:0]

Back to the oil... When you say "black" the first thing I think of is a diesel engine. I didn't think gas engines were supposed to get the oil that dirty... I'd have to agree black oil sounds bad.

#7 ·
malibuite - 9/18/2005 3:14 PM
...Last month when I was in NC, I drove on I85 from Charlotte to Greensboro and kept wondering where all the traffic was. So unbelievably different from LA where there is traffic 24 hours a day. "God's Country"[:D]

And, yes, the dealer knew i was moving cross country and even told me it was ok to drive the car cross country[:0]
If you need to experience LA type traffic just go the other way out of Charlotte on I85 for about 250 miles.[;)]
Your dealer knew you would never be back to complain.

#8 ·
LOL, traffic in Atlanta. East Coasters see LA traffic on TV and think, oh we have traffic that bad. As a reformed East Coaster (Virginia), and having spent much time in DC and Atlanta, the only traffic on the East Coast is a little "rush hour".

What most people don't realize until they've spent extended time in LA, is that you can be driving at 11pm, 3am, 2pm on a Wednesday, etc, etc, and randomly be stuck in an hour's worth of traffic on an 8 lane freeway. It's a site to behold.

But the beauty of it is, 11pm, 73 degrees, top down, tunes blaring in my SLK, I'm as happy as a clam!

Malibuite: hope your trip to NC goes well, sorry we didn't get a chance to meet up in LA. Please, please eat lots of grits for me (oh, how I miss them...).

Chris

P.S. When my "check oil level at next refueling" light came on at 5000 miles, the oil as I checked it was honey clear. I added one quart, and now am at 8000 miles, and no sign of any trouble. As stated above and elsewhere, your case seems to be tragically unique, and we are all pulling for you to get things straightened out!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.