Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

"Easy-out" option

2K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  Zut 
#1 ·
I have the comfort package which includes the power seats and the tilt steering-wheel. According to the Owner's manual, the "easy-out" option should make coming out of the car easier by raising the steering-wheel and/or pushing back the driver's seat. In the manual, there are four settings for this option: Off, Steering only, Seat only and Both. My car only has the Off and the Steering settings. How can I make the seat move back as I pull out the ignition key?

#2 ·
Zut - 9/16/2005 1:06 PM

I have the comfort package which includes the power seats and the tilt steering-wheel. According to the Owner's manual, the "easy-out" option should make coming out of the car easier by raising the steering-wheel and/or pushing back the driver's seat. In the manual, there are four settings for this option: Off, Steering only, Seat only and Both. My car only has the Off and the Steering settings. How can I make the seat move back as I pull out the ignition key?
Hi,

Unfortunately you can't, this function has been removed for 2006 model year, I am surprised that your manual still shows this function. I should check if the book shows anything else different. Key dependent memory is another thing that has vanished.

Mercedes in their wisdom know best!

Mike

#3 ·
Sorcerer - 9/16/2005 8:13 AM
Hi,

Unfortunately you can't, this function has been removed for 2006 model year, I am surprised that your manual still shows this function. I should check if the book shows anything else different. Key dependent memory is another thing that has vanished.

Mike
Ah, crikey! So far, having a 2006 instead of a 2005 has been a disappointment. After that long wait, I realize that I paid more only to have less... [V] Ah well... At least I have a great car.

#4 ·
Sounds like some of the marketing people who worked at VW 40 years ago are now at MB...their marketing philosophy was "you will buy what we sell"

#5 ·
I'm sure you can add it back...

Maybe MB was getting complaints of the seat rubbing against the rear wall and leaving a mark from the coat hanger, and they were afraid in the long run this will f'k up the seat motors and rear wall?

#7 ·
steve1173,
Does it stop moving back when it touches the wall? I am asking because mine does not automatically stop:I have to adjust the seat so that it would avoid the back wall.
Is there any way to program it to avoid that?

#8 ·
EricMB - 9/16/2005 7:49 AM

steve1173,
Does it stop moving back when it touches the wall? I am asking because mine does not automatically stop:I have to adjust the seat so that it would avoid the back wall.
On mine, as the seat moves back, the back of the seat moves forward (up) to avoid hitting the wall.

#9 ·
Zut - 9/16/2005 5:33 AM

So far, having a 2006 instead of a 2005 has been a disappointment. After that long wait, I realize that I paid more only to have less... [V] Ah well... At least I have a great car.
Well, one thing that I remember reading about a few years ago was confusion over why Mercedes was changing the behaviors of the electronics; in that case, they were talking about the automatically lowering front passenger headrest in the S-class that was later removed. The explanation was, and I believe still is, that if an electronic "feature" either adds enough complexity to reduce quality or causes warranty issues (including customer complaints or confusion about operation), then it is very likely that that component or feature will be removed.

That said, all the confusion I was reading about how the per-key memory and automatic function operated made me think "oh wow... they'll probably remove that". And, sure enough, when I caught up to the 2006 postings, they had. :)

The only such feature that I'm sorry they removed was the option to select scrolling by frequency or programmed station for the radio. I pre-program my favorite local stations, and always liked the ability to scroll through them from the steering wheel in older models. Ah well... all in the name of progress, right?

What I'm really going to be curious to see is what mischief Mercedes' new CEO will cause when he gets a good look inside the operation. I believe his highest goals are going to be to improve quality and ramp sales. So we can expect that perhaps some things will hit the chopping block in the name of both...

#10 ·
Try this...

EricMB - On my 2005 SLK350, if I have the seat in the lowest position, the back will rub up against the wall when the easy exit feature is enabled. Try raising the seat slightly. I found a comfortable driving position that also allows the seat to move back with the easy exit feature without rubbing against the back.

I have also found that the dent caused by smashing the seat back against the wall will eventually return to the normal shape if you stop beating it to death.

Hope this helps.

EricMB - 9/16/2005 10:49 AM

steve1173,

#11 ·
taroliw - 9/16/2005 5:03 PM
Well, one thing that I remember reading about a few years ago was confusion over why Mercedes was changing the behaviors of the electronics; in that case, they were talking about the automatically lowering front passenger headrest in the S-class that was later removed. The explanation was, and I believe still is, that if an electronic "feature" either adds enough complexity to reduce quality or causes warranty issues (including customer complaints or confusion about operation), then it is very likely that that component or feature will be removed.
But what is really sad, is all they had to do for most of these "problems" (customer confusion), is to just find someone who could right the description in the manual so a normal person could understand it!

#12 ·
bloflin - 9/17/2005 2:05 AM
But what is really sad, is all they had to do for most of these "problems" (customer confusion), is to just find someone who could right the description in the manual so a normal person could understand it!
My thought exactly![}:)]

#13 ·
Sorcerer - 9/16/2005 1:13 PM

Mike
Particularly as the menu options still show up in the car, it just doesn't actually do anything. Somehow this makes it all the more frustrating, well for me anyway!

#14 ·
Tim_P - 9/18/2005 3:52 AM

Sorcerer - 9/16/2005 1:13 PM

Unfortunately you can't, this function has been removed for 2006 model year, I am surprised that your manual still shows this function.
Particularly as the menu options still show up in the car, it just doesn't actually do anything.
OK. That's really odd. I just re-searched the 2006 owner's guide (see http://www.billsden.org/mercedes/slk/docs/man_owners_2006.pdf) and find only the following references to easy-entry/exit.
pp 43,44 - "Easy-entry/exit feature"

This feature allows for easier entry into and exit from the vehicle.

The easy-entry/exit feature can be activated or deactivated in the Convenience submenu of the control system (page 147)

[Warning: You must make sure no one can become trapped by the moving steering wheel when the easy-entry/exit feature is activated. ...]

With the easy-entry/exit feature activated, the steering wheel will return to its last set position when you:

* close the driver's door with the ignition switched on,

or

* insert the SmartKey into the start switch with the driver's door closed.

(i) The last set steering wheel position is stored when

* the ignition is switched off

* the position is stored in memory (p. 107)

With the easy-entry/exit feature activated, the steering wheel tilts upwards when you:

* remove the SmartKey from the start switch,

or

* open the driver's door with the SmartKey in starter switch position 0 or 1.

(i) If the current position for the steering wheel is in the uppermost tilt position, the steering wheel will no longer be able to move upward when the easy-entry/exit feature is activated. The adjustment procedure is briefly interrupted when the engine is started.
Seems pretty clear to me, unless of course you don't have the owner's guide to match your model year...

#15 ·
To Taroliw,

You may have a point. My SLK was probably among the first 2006 built (it was ordered on April 15th) and there is no year specified on the Owner's Manual. I may very well have a 2005 manual. Also, I have the French version of the OM. Perhaps the French version of the 2006 is not yet available.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.