Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

How to clean the rear window

5K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  gmabli 
#1 ·
It's very hard for me to reach the rear window to clean it from inside. I have even tried reaching it in the hardtop mid-open position, but it's still difficult.
How do you folks usually do it?

#3 ·
It was definitely easier to clean it in the old SLK (by opening the roof half way through). But in this car, it swivels into a position where it becomes very hard to get at.

I just pass an excutiating 10 minutes trying to buff it clean with towels by reaching in between the nooks and crannies of the roof mechanism (btw, be careful, the roof will try to close after a 7 minute period if I remember correctly).

#4 ·
Topb_stard
I thought about that option. The truth is, if we can't reach it, it's possible they can't reach it easily either and they might damage something trying to do so(unless they have some special device?). Remember not all the carwash people are familar with the hardtop technology and limitations/vulnerabilities. In addition, the windows on this car get dirty kind of quick (why?) and I don't think I can take it to carwash/detailer twice a week!

#5 ·
EricMB

I am 5'8" and normal build. What I do is with the top up, I open the passenger door and facing the rear window I place my right knee on the passenger seat. I place a clean towel on the rear deck to catch any over spray of cleaning fluid. In this position I am able to reach every area of the rear window. I can hold onto the passenger roll bar if I need to lean over further for support. Hope this helps.

#7 ·
I wonder...

Maybe if you left the safety net (plastic cover in the trunk) in the 'off' position, but placed a little stone or something in the crevasse where the microswitch is. Then you could lower the roof completely so that it's in the trunk.

Once this is done, you could reach the window portion without much trouble since it's in there at the top. You just need to rub the 'ceiling' (i.e. the window) with some cloth if you open the boot.

Not saying it will work (maybe the safety net bumps into the roof structure in the off position), but it might. Anyone want to risk trying [;)]

Anyway... not easy to do...

#8 ·
Shinigami,
Looking at your arsenal cache you have shown on your web site, you seem to be the most manly man TO ME![;)]
Go get'em boy!
What about one of those flat window cleaners with a handle to clean? And then putting a dry towel on another one to dry it?
Isn't it funny to have a problem like this with an advanced car in the 21st century?[:)]

#9 ·
I think it will be very hard to buff out streaks with a handle based window cleaning towel. You just can't put the same kind of pressure on the end as you can if you were using a towel.

And concerning the method I spoke above, I'm not really sure it will work. The protective cover is seated a bit higher when it's in the off position, and this might easily hit the window when it lowers into the trunk... Besides, even if it worked, you might not be able to reach all of the window due to the the cover still being in there. Unless of course you remove it completely, but I'm not gonna risk ruining my car by taking it off [:D]

#12 ·
you guys are tooooo much! I like you! You make me laugh! (from Gung Ho movie)

#16 ·
EricMB - 9/4/2005 1:57 AM

It's very hard for me to reach the rear window to clean it from inside. I have even tried reaching it in the hardtop mid-open position, but it's still difficult.
How do you folks usually do it?
I took mine to get tinted, the tinting guy has to clean it first before applying otherwise it doesn't stick. After it's tinted, it's hard to tell if it's ever dirty. [:D]

#19 ·
portzy - 9/19/2005 5:26 AM

You mean some of you guys actually bother to look in the RVM and notice its dirty?????. I'm far to busy enjoying the ride and looking in front to half care whats behind me[:D]
How else are you going to enjoy their expression and their one finger salute as you blow by?

BTW, I did pick the item from Bed, Bath & Beyond. It's cheap ($10) and cheap (i.e. quality), but it does do the trick, makes the almost impossible a breeze.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.