Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Memory seats and smart key

16K views 32 replies 15 participants last post by  Sorcerer 
#1 ·
I read in the glossy brochure that the memory seat assignments can be linked to individual keys so that the seat memory will change depending on who's keys unlocks the car.

I can't find this anywhere in the manual. Does anyone know how this works? I have the comfort package, but not the premium, maybe it's a premium package feature.

Thanks.

#3 ·
Patches - 7/30/2005 7:12 PM

I read in the glossy brochure that the memory seat assignments can be linked to individual keys so that the seat memory will change depending on who's keys unlocks the car.

I can't find this anywhere in the manual. Does anyone know how this works? I have the comfort package, but not the premium, maybe it's a premium package feature.

Thanks.
For 2006 Model Year in the UK this feature has been removed along with seat moving for easy access - cost savings! I guess other things have gone as well.

Mike

#4 ·
Patches - 7/29/2005 12:12 PM

Thanks.
That's not how it works. There is a function in the menus that lets you determine whether you want the memory stores memorized in the smartkey. This does not have them move when using the key. The (up to 3) settings are simply stored in the key. So with 2 keys, you can have a total of 6 different positions stored (3 accessible at a time using one key).

This has been discussed before and I never got a real satisfactory answers as to what in the world is the purpose of this "feature".

Why a 2 seat expensive roadster would need 6 different seat positions stored is beyond me.

#7 ·
I think I've caused some confusion. This is the feature that I was trying to figure out how to use. It's listed under locking/security.

"Driver-programable user recognition feature links each SmartKey to driver's preference for driver's seat memory (all three presets), various climate control settings, and programmable vehicle preferences"

It's not listed under the Smartkey or the memory seats section.

I just thought it was a cool feature, but it was the 2005 brochure and there is no 2006 brochure available, so maybe they did take it away.
[:(]

#9 ·
Patches - 7/29/2005 7:06 PM
"Driver-programable user recognition feature links each SmartKey to driver's preference for driver's seat memory (all three presets), various climate control settings, and programmable vehicle preferences"
Yes, that is what I was talking about. It does store the 3 seat/mirror memory presets in the key.

It does NOT automatically move the seat to any of those presets. You still have to hold the button (either preset button 1, 2 or 3).

It doesn't note hold any other settings that I can tell (i.e. it does not hold "various climate control settings", etc.).

And it is on pg 143 of the '05 manual.

#10 ·
Motzkoman - 7/29/2005 6:52 PM

bloflin - 7/29/2005 2:35 PM

...Why a 2 seat expensive roadster would need 6 different seat positions stored is beyond me.
I think the idea was that you could set it so it would automatically move the seat to your #1 position based on the key being used...[:0]
Motzkoman, that WOULD be a good idea, but that isn't what it does (at least it doesn't for me). Also my manual doesn't say it will move anything automatically, just that it stores the settings in the key.

So, best I can tell, you still just end up with a car that most likely will have 1 full time driver, but can remember 6 different seat positions, yet doesn't move to even 1 of them, without holding on the darn button. So I'm still missing what the engineeers thought the requirement they where fufilling was?

#11 ·
steve-p - 7/30/2005 12:24 AM

Sorcerer - 7/29/2005 6:39 PM
For 2006 Model Year in the UK this feature has been removed along with seat moving for easy access - cost savings! I guess other things have gone as well.
The memory seat function is still listed on the MBUK web site. Are you sure it has been removed?
Should have answered question better! The memory function still exists, however the "key-dependent" feature has been removed.

From what I understand these have been deleted to stop the seat moving too far in one direction or the other and possibly causing damage or injury, paranoia maybe but I suppose someone somewhere will set the wrong setting and blame Mercedes.

Death by seat crushing! More bad press for Mercedes

Mike

#12 ·
I've saved a seat preset on each key. The black one is mine, and moves the seat and steering wheel to my particular position when I plug the key into the ignition hole.

The gray key (you know the little switch you need to move in order to pull out the safety key from, it's gray on the other key) is configured with a seat preset for my GF.

I haven't configured any other presets for the keys, just one per key (didn't even know you could set up to 3 presets), but all I need to do is plug the key into the ingition and the seat moves into the correct position. I don't actually have to hold the button(s) on the side of the seat down in order to do this.

#13 ·
My observation (2005 US SLK350) is that the seat & mirrors return to their last-used settings when the key is inserted...not to position 1, 2 or 3, unless the seat and mirrors were previously in position 1, 2 or 3.

In other words, if you use the "1" memory button to set seat & mirrors to position 1, then move the seat forward 2" and remove the key, when your key is next inserted, the seat will return to 2" forward of position 1, not to position 1.

By contrast, the memory button returns the seat and mirrors to a specific, stored setting.

The manual is not very clear on this.

#14 ·
However, the "easy-entry/exit" feature DOES move the seats to their previous position (2005 US SLK350). See pg. 100.

This is very helpful to me, as my wife's seat settings make it almost impossible for me to get in the car if she last drove it, unless "easy-entry/exit" is enabled for both SmartKeys. It's a shame if they've removed that feature for 2006.

#15 ·
Shinigami - 7/30/2005 5:01 AM

I've saved a seat preset on each key. The black one is mine, and moves the seat and steering wheel to my particular position when I plug the key into the ignition hole.

The gray key (you know the little switch you need to move in order to pull out the safety key from, it's gray on the other key) is configured with a seat preset for my GF.

I haven't configured any other presets for the keys, just one per key (didn't even know you could set up to 3 presets), but all I need to do is plug the key into the ingition and the seat moves into the correct position. I don't actually have to hold the button(s) on the side of the seat down in order to do this.
Shinigami, that sounds like exactly how you'd want it work, but it doesn't for me, and the manual is useless.

Can you re-verify, what it does and how you got it to do that.

I.E. are you saying you set the settings to "key dependent", then you set memory position 1 to your liking, then inserted your key and started (or something), then turned off. Then set seat to girlfriend position, then what, stored it to memory 1 again??, then inserted girlfriend key and started (or something??).

TIA.

#16 ·
Isn't this a remarkable discussion? I think what we would ALL have liked is for the seats to adjust automatically to a memory position when I unlock the car. So my wife has one key, and I have another, and when she unlocks the car the seats should move to "her" position, and when I use my key, they move to "mine".

Pity the German designers couldn't figure this out, and the manual is just terrible as to the intent of the smart key feature. If you have to press the 1-2-3 buttons on the seat anyway, why bother?

Now the Saab guys would have built it the right way ;-)

#17 ·
Folks...it's NOT the memory seat feature that does what you want. What you're looking for is the "Easy-entry/exit" feature.

With this enabled (for both keys), last-used seat, outside mirror and steering wheel position are saved and restored on a per-key basis (whether that position corresponds to memory "1", "2", "3", or some non-stored position). The seat and steering wheel also move when the door opens to give you more room to get in and out.

Maybe it's an option and not everyone has it; I don't recall. It's described, albeit not with much clarity, on pg. 100 of 2005 manual.

#18 ·
Yup, the easy exit/entry feature makes it possible to store the position of the seats.

A few days ago I couldn't find my 'personal' keys, so I took the other pair as I hurried to the car in the morning.

Well, when I plugged that key in, the seat definitely adjusted differently to the position one would use it when driving. i.e. I was way closer to the front with the steering wheel lower down as well. I readjusted them to my liking and drove off.

Mind you, I did this while the engine was running, and I did not press any of the buttons on the side of the seat to 'memorise' this. Which means that if my GF takes these keys, and sits into the car, the seat will adjust to this position.

The day before, I had of course been using my personal key which was set to get me into the usual position I use when I drive. At least in my car, the keys individually remember a particular seating position, and I can attest to this. Want a video to prove it? [:p]

#19 ·
Sorcerer - 7/29/2005 11:39 AM

Mike
I've noticed this as well, I have it setup for easy access but it does nothing when I exit the car. I have an 06 model. I end up kicking everything when exiting the car. [:(!]

#20 ·
WOW!!! Such confusion. My 2005 SLK350 seats work as designed.

I have two keys. One for me and one for my wife. There is a menu setting to activate the feature I believe.
When I place my key in the ignition and turn it on, the seat slides up to pre-set positions and the side mirrors adjust to my settings. When I turn the car off, the seat slides back away from the steering wheel.
When I put my wife's key in, it adjusts to her settings.

#21 ·
There seems to be confusion about terminology & function, not surprising with all the "names" Mercedes give things!

Memory seats - 2005/2006 models, three positions touch of a button.

Easy Entry - 2005 model = Seat moves/steering wheel lifts
Easy Entry - 2006 model = Steering wheel moves

This is the bit that causes confusion - keys/memory/easy entry:

With 2005 models you can set "key-Dependent" this is what enables the seat memory to work in conjunction with "easy-entry" and shifts driving position dependent on which key is used to unlock start the car.

2006 models do not have "key-dependent" feature, which in any case is useless without the seat aspect of easy-entry.

As Melcox said "such confusion". Although Melcox has a 2005 model which explains why his seats do everything. Mercedes quietly dropping functionality for 2006 models has yet to be explained.

#22 ·
Sorcerer - 8/4/2005 3:49 PM
As Melcox said "such confusion". Although Melcox has a 2005 model which explains why his seats do everything. Mercedes quietly dropping functionality for 2006 models has yet to be explained.
MB raises price and deleting options, is this legal? [:(!][:(!][:(!]

#23 ·
Sorcerer - 8/4/2005 1:49 PM
With 2005 models you can set "key-Dependent" this is what enables the seat memory to work in conjunction with "easy-entry" and shifts driving position dependent on which key is used to unlock start the car.
In practice, only "key-dependency" affects seat memory, whereas "easy-entry" restores the seat and/or steering wheel to the positions they were in when you previously removed the key from the ignition. (However, as long you don't move the seat and/or steering wheel after selecting a particular seat memory position [1,2 or 3], then the easy-entry feature will restore them to positions that correspond to the memory position you selected.)

Because some people have found the seat memory and easy-entry functions to be somewhat confusing in the manual, I have written a little summary which may help clarify how (I believe) these features work.

Insert key #1.
Manually adjust seat, steering wheel and rear view mirrors. Store in memory position 1.
If required, repeat for memory positions 2 and/or 3.
(The car's software has now stored the settings for key #1, positions 1, 2, and 3.)

Insert key #2.
Manually adjust seat, steering wheel and rear view mirrors. Store in memory position 1.
If required, repeat for memory positions 2 and/or 3.
(The car's software has now stored the settings for key #2, positions 1, 2, and 3.)

Because the sofware has stored SIX different settings, this means that when the owner of a particular key presses one of the seat memory buttons, the seat, wheel and mirrors are automatically adjusted, according to the number of the key in the ignition (1 or 2) and the number of the memory button selected (i.e. 1:1, 1:2, 1:3, or 2:1, 2:2, 2:3).

When the easy-entry feature is enabled, it's only function is to:
(1) move the seat and/or steering wheel out of the way when you remove the key from the ignition, and
(2) return the seats and/or steering wheel to their LAST SET POSITION, according to which key is inserted in the ignition (either #1 or #2).
In other words......because there are two keys, the car's software stores two LAST SET POSITIONS - one for each key. Now, whenever a key is inserted in the ignition, the software first checks the key, and then restores the seats and/or steering wheel to the appropriate positions memorized for that key.

#24 ·
For those with a 2006 model, the instructions are simpler:

- set seat memory position 1 to one you like for seat, steering wheel and mirrors
- set seat memory position 2 to one the other regular driver likes (or main driver's alternative posn)
- set seat memory position 3 to one that makes exit from the car easy.

So now you have to press a button to get the seat moving, but that's all. Sometimes the seat moving automatically is a nuisance, anyway.

Use whichever key comes to hand, as they both do the same thing![;)]

#26 ·
Possibly removed from the 2006 MY because it was easier to do that than to fix it.

On my 05, seat, mirrors & steering wheel occasionally remain in the "exit" position until I reposition them by pressing and holding the "1" button. And when the seat moves back to the exit position, it rubs against the rear cabin wall, despite all the fancy programming that is supposed to adjust the backrest angle to prevent that from happening.

Or maybe, judging by this thread, it's because they were tired of having to explain to the owners how to turn it on!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.