Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Signals

5K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  Sorcerer 
#1 ·
ok... I know there have been discussions about changing bulbs, but I have a slightly different one... I bought some silver bulbs to replase the turn signals. They are silver so you don't have the orange glow. Really cool looking. Anyway, I replaced the back ones which was not very easy but I accomplished it. When it came to the front, they were almost impossible to get out. When I did, I found that the bulbs were different. The manual says that they should be PW21W and they were in the back. They looked just like the picture. in the fron they were a completely different design. Does anyone have any idea what the part number is for the front ones? it wasn't listed anywhere.

Thanks!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
ok, I am starting to make a habit of answering my own questions ! [:D] if you look at the following website: http://orderxenarc.sylvania.com/performanceshop/welcome.asp and do a search for "3457AST" you will find the correct bulbs in silver. I will say that they look awesome in the rear. I can't wait to see what they look like in the front!

#4 ·
Sorcerer, I love the look of those bulbs, but I can't find anyone who stocks them! Do you know any place on the net to purchase them? Also, how does one access the rear lights? Do you need to remove the assembly from the body? When I fold back the carpet, all I can see is bolts.

#5 ·
Jono,

Sorry can't help with purchasing - I bought mine at an outdoor market while visiting friends. I wouldn't usually buy from a market but I recognised the brand - just to say Diadem is an Osram trademark so doing a search should highlight up some retailers.

This picture is where the access is for the rear bulbs:

Left hand access point.

The light should provide a reference point, just pull where I've drawn a line. Long thin hands help!

The right hand side is virtually the same.

This is a picture of the bulb packaging:

Mike

#6 ·
According to the Sylvania website the correct turn signal bulbs (lamps) for the 2005 SLK are:
3457A for the front
1156A for the rear

http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProducts/AutomotiveLighting/LampReplacementGuide/

I found the “SilverStar� lights, 3457AST and 1156AST at Pep Boys for $16.99 for a two pack.

#13 ·
BAZMAN - 8/31/2005 6:34 AM

Any one? SHould I even DARE change these myself?
I did it myself... The first try was VERY frustrating but on the second round it wasn't too bad.

The passenger side is very difficult to reachm unless... there is a black rubber bracket with some hoses attached to it. It slides right up and off of it's mount and you can move it out of the way. The trick on the passenger side is to come in at an angle. There is a temptation to try to put your hand into the compartment directly behind the light but it wont fit. Come in from the side and you will be able to reach.

On the drivers side, there is only one way to fit your hand in and it wasn't too bad.

All of the lights twist, and then come out easily. Try to take note of which way they came out because putting them back in can be a chore.

It wasn't really that bad and if you would like me to take some pictures, I am happy to.

I just noticed that you are in Dubai so the configuration may be different, I don't know.

Matt

#14 ·
msmith11 - 8/31/2005 7:14 AM

It wasn't really that bad and if you would like me to take some pictures, I am happy to.

Matt
Please post some pictures and more instructions if you don't mind. I'm planning on replacing my indicator bulbs tomorrow, if I'm not too busy.

#18 ·
EDSLK - 9/14/2005 6:49 PM

how come there is still orange in the turn signal area after the bulb replacements?
B/c the bulb is actually orange on the side and bluish when looking directly at it. It's actually not as orange as the pics indicate, when you look at the light directly, you will see the middle blue and area surrounding it orange, but look at it in any other direction will yield a bluish color. Look at pic below,

I'm assuming the Philips will be all clear, post pics when you do get them installed, it'll be interested to see. [:)]

#19 ·
I finally got mine in. Great tips from Ynot and sorcerer and others. just to refine them a little.

doing the rear left and right, the attached picture from sorcerer is helpful but just a little north where he circled a notch I placed a red arrow. There is a panel here that if you push in you will be in the rear of the wheel well and right where the rear lights are. this would be a little below where the bristles are for the roof hinges. of course the roof must be up. When you feel where the rear turn signal light is, turn counter clockwise, but try to remember and hold the position when you remove it. this will give you a clue on how to replace it position wise. left and right rear took approximately 20 seconds to remove. replace bulb in holder as it is a bayonet socket. return socket and turn clockwise a quarter turn. rear is done.

the front is as others described. tight but not difficult. you will have to remove the air hoses. do one side first. depress the little notch and push it back and up as opposed to back and down as you will want to get your right hand horizontal for the passenger side and the left hand horizontal for the drivers side when you get to that side. move your hand horizontal and glance through the top of the back of the headlight so you can see the turn knob, as with the rear lights, turn counter clockwise a quarter of a turn and gently wiggle and pull the light out. be careful as you do not drop it or change its position. the front have a little notch on them to indicate the top which is helpful. do not remember if the rear had a notch. the front turn signals are push in and not bayonet like the rear lights were. i had to use a small screw driver to separate the notch holder of the socket to allow removal of the old. the new push right in. switch bulbs and reverse procedure. test lights. redo air hoses. done. good luck.

oh, i recommend doing the rear first as they are easier and if you accomplish that you will not feel so frustrated with the front.

sorcerer, i touched up your photo. hope u do not mind.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.