Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: R171
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: Setting the time / clock

Hey NewMB,

Glad to help.

Not sure where I got the info, but it was probably in the first two thirds of the manual. When I got the car, I read to about page 300 and then gave up on the remaining 150 pages!

As a teacher and writer of national examination papers, I am used to ploughing through large and tedious documentation!

You should get a Smart car [sold in Europe] which I admit to owning. It is a really detailed yet well focussed manual and has honest section titles as 'The boring stuff', 'The important stuff' etc,
etc.

Funny how the same corporation produces both cars, yet, despite the obvious differences in features and sophistications of these cars [The Mercedes is the sophisticated one! ....er yes.. that's right] the Smart manual is a work of genius and tells you what you want to know and where to find it.

Ojonesyo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2006, 04:53 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: 2006 SLK 350

Hey etyu -
I checked out page 140 of the manual per your reference. After reading through the instructions one more time, I realized what confused me. I thought that "the clock" was only referring to the digital readout in the control system and not the analog clock. IMHO, the manual should have had one additional write-up with a picture of the analog clock and the instructions following it. [;)]

Hey Owen - Sounds like your Smart car manual is written in a similar fashion to the "Dummies" books that are so popular. Works for me. [:D]

2006 SLK 350. Black/Black; 7-speed AT; Comfort, Heating, Lighting, and Premium packages
#13 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 03:26 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 2008 SLK55 AMG

NewMB, I agree that the owner's manual could add one or two more lines to clarify how one could reset the clock.

When I first reset mine, the analog clock minute hand just keep whirling through the hours in a clockwise fashion. I did not how to stop it but somehow turning on the radio/audio on stopped the process and the analog clock was set correctly.

I guess I'll find out again in late October when we go back to standard time.

2008 SLK 55, Pewter, Beige Nappa leather interior
mod R170 antenna, cargo tray, OEM Lexan windschott, stainless steel trunk handle, aluminum doorlock pins
PIAA 5W Super White parking lamps
SmartTop v1.0, Kleyman 3BFM V1.5 (Noregrets Custom Works)
#14 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 03:52 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: 2006 SLK 350

Hey etyu - When I set mine, the clock went forward a couple of hours and then went backwards a couple of hours before it settled on the correct time. I was a little concerned when I watched it because it seemed to have a mind of its own. When it finally slowed down, however, the hands of the clock inched up and stopped at the correct time. Looked like the digital clock was giving instructions to the analog clock. Not sure how all of the electronics work, but I'm just glad they do. [:D]

2006 SLK 350. Black/Black; 7-speed AT; Comfort, Heating, Lighting, and Premium packages
#15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 05:16 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 2008 SLK55 AMG

NewMB

Thanks for the info. This will certainly help when I reset it to standard time in late October.

The analog clock was whirling forward more than 12 hours and wouldn't stop, so I tried to push other buttons on the steering wheel and it wouldn't stop until I pressed the on/off button for the audio and the hands went and "settled" at the correct time.

2008 SLK 55, Pewter, Beige Nappa leather interior
mod R170 antenna, cargo tray, OEM Lexan windschott, stainless steel trunk handle, aluminum doorlock pins
PIAA 5W Super White parking lamps
SmartTop v1.0, Kleyman 3BFM V1.5 (Noregrets Custom Works)

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R171 SLK Class