Official Mercedes Benz Extended Warranty - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R171 SLK Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2005, 03:42 AM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2004
Vehicle: SLK 350
Official Mercedes Benz Extended Warranty

With all the complex systems in the new SLK 350, I opted for the extended warranty offered by my dealer. The incentive here to get it now rather than at the end of the current 12 mo period is that they offered a $100 discount per year of warranty, so with an offical cost of $2380 (plus tax :( where applicable) it now costs $2080 for an additional 3 years which takes it out for a total of 7 years which should time nicely with the release of the 3rd generation SLK.

One bonus here is that the cost of the extended warranty is the least expensive for the SLK class than most other models, wasn't that nice of M-B?
roadsterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2005, 10:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2004
RE: Official Mercedes Benz Extended Warranty

Roadsterboy, or anybody else. How about taking that 2080 and buy some stock like Microsoft and let it sits there for four years. I think with a company like Microsoft would die. I think it would pan out if there is nothing major happens to your car. If nothing happens to your car then you would have a nice bonus. Who knows your money could triple or quadruple in 7 years time. Do you guys think this would be a better alternative to buying the extended warranty?
meanz06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 11:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2004
Vehicle: 06 SLK 55 Firemist

Extended manufactures warranties are almost pure profit for the manufactures. It is a very expensive insurance policy and almost always a waste of money.
Julien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 05:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

STOCKS!!! Shall I share with you my bloc of US AIR that is worthless, or how about my Cienna that used to be 150k/share, LU, NT, JDSU, WCOM, all went down in searing flames. So MSFT didn't, big deal. Thanks, but no thanks. Peace of mind is more important to me and now I have it.
Old 01-10-2005, 07:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
CP1
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2004
Vehicle: 2005 SLK 55 AMG
Send a message via MSN to CP1

The SLK 55 AMG warranty is 600 bux more. $2960 for and additional 2 years and 50000 miles.
CP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 08:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2004
Vehicle: SLK350

Beware - MB Warranty is not transferrable - so won't help resale value
Shank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 04:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Just when I thought that the only MIS-information came from washington DC, I see that it exists on here too, unfortunately.

Let's get the facts straight BEFORE posting such nonsense.

Quoting from the Q & A setion from the OFFICIAL MBUSA publication:

Question: "Can I transfer the extended warranty coverage?"

Answer: If you sell your Mercedes-Benz Extended Limited Warranty covered Mercedes-Benz to a private party, its new owner may continue the coverage. Superscript 2

Disclaimer Superscript 2: Restrictions and limitations apply, and a transfer fee may apply. Extended warranty products are trnsferable as long as new vehicle warranty OR extended warranty coverage is in effect. Owners are subject to inspection of service records and must meet maintenance requirements, see your dealer for details.

Here is where a decision needs to be made on how long you intend to keep the car. If you take it out to 7 yrs and trade-in to a MB dealer after 5 yrs, you lose the last 2 years and no refund.

$1.23 per day over 7 yrs, what a bargain.

PEACE OF MIND BABY, peace of mind! Peace.
Old 01-12-2005, 07:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: SL550
"...must meet maintenance requirements."

Does that mean you can not do any of your own maintenance?
fgwinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 03:01 AM   #9 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

"Must meet maintenance requirements" means complying with Service A & Service B intervals that the car reminds you about electronically. 1st A is at about 13k miles, service B is about 26k miles. You are permitted to do maintenance yourself, like changing oil and other incidentals.

AMG owners pay a little more, $3410 for 3 extra years.

MB just wants to be sure you don't trash the car and expect them to pay for it. Anyone only planning to keep the car for 4 years or less should NOT get an extended warranty.

Old 07-03-2010, 03:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2005
Vehicle: 2007 Mercedes-Benz S550 (W221)
Send a message via ICQ to lilviv Send a message via AIM to lilviv Send a message via MSN to lilviv Send a message via Yahoo to lilviv
Extended Warranty - Worth It On Modern Mercedes-Benz

Hello,

I'll offer my 2 cents here. On modern Mercedes-Benz, the extended warranty is always worth it if you fully intend to own your car and match the duration/mileage with your ownership. These cars have many systems that break and cost a fortune.

I bought an extended warranty on my 2001 Mercedes-Benz S500, and it cost $3,649.00. I bought this just shortly before the factory warranty period expired. The extended warranty paid out $7,735.27 in claims when it expired at the 72,000 mile mark.

The S-Class MB has an Airmatic Suspension, speakers, a multitude of sensors, and all sorts of stuff that fails and is nice to be fully covered on. I currently have a 2007 S550, and I will be buying an extended service contract on this car later this year. I am certain it will provide a greater return on investment for me than adding that marginal amount to my stock portfolio. That, and if the dealership says they need to change a $950 sensor that is covered - I don't have to question it or stress out about it in any way.

I also purchase extended warranties on BMW's, but I could take it or leave it on Lexus - I never get my money's worth out of warranties for Lexus, they simply don't break that much.
* 2002 Mercedes-Benz C240 (Sold)
lilviv is offline   Reply With Quote

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R171 SLK Class