Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

BAS/ESP Light Faults

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Smackrattle 
#1 ·
My 2003 230SLK w/ 43,000 miles since almost new occasionally would throw the BAS/ESP light, but it would always reset on the next engine start and I wouldn't see if for another year or more.

Today, it came on within 25 mi of every engine start on a long day-drive.

I have no Check Engine, and the car drives perfect normally.

I did searches and the scariest was a MB Dealership that quoted $4500 for a new wiring harness and sensors, suspecting corrosion somewhere in the system, saying doing the complete job is all they would consider.

I have a decent scanner (Autel MaxiDAS) and it gave the following DTCs:

BAS shows NO errors or DTCs, but the ESP shows:

1) C1140-128 N49 Steering angle Sensor not initialized (this was in memory, but MIL light not on for this).
I routinely disconnect my battery when the car is in disuse, so probably I didn't re-initialize properly after a re-connect. The car is only driven about 2500mi a year, so that's why I disconnect the battery.

2) C1141-8 Pressure sensor zero offset error of component B34/1 ESP Sensor 1
3) C1141-16 Pressure sensor B34/1 ESP Pressure sensor 1 and B34/2 Pressure sensor 2 Plausability Error
4) C1202 A77sl (BAS Release Sw) Plausability (I re-checked this one w/ Launch 431-X Scanner and it said to ignore this DTC)

Faults 2 and 3 said the faults were causing the MIL light to illuminate and were in memory.

The car has zero corrosion visible anywhere, and in fact may have seen rain or a wet road only a couple of times since new, and was always in a dry garage when not being driven, so extensive corrosion seems remote.

I tend to think one cause is causing this condition rather than several, but where does one start?

I don't have any workshop manuals for the car that would show specific locations of components either, unfortunately.

Any help appreciated,
Bob

See less See more
#2 ·
Happened on my 171. With engine on (obviously), turning the wheel from lock-to-lock a couple of times reset it. These cars don't like batteries disconnected...

#3 ·
That will reset the steering angle sensor, but that was not a current fault (it said it was in the memory but notr current, so I guess just driving may have reset it?).

Are you saying that the BAS/ESP faults were CAUSED by thye steering angly ambiguity, and resetting it and resetting the DTCs with the scanner will "fix" it to where the 1141 errors won't reappear?

Thanks,
Bob

As an aside, I replaced the battery on my C320 Wagon a while back and I forgot to do the steering reset procedure. It was fine for an hour of driving, then hell broke loose with the ABS, Steering Fault, and other errors (some flashing red) popped up and the car went into limp-home mode 2500mi from home and I didn't have a professional grade scanner w/ me. My wife was terrified. The self-examination abilities and consequences of these systems is amazing (and good and bad ways).

#4 ·
I didn't need to go as far as to check codes. I just got the BAS/ESP warning light - and tried the wheel-to-wheel procedure. That was about 40k miles ago - has never happened since.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.