Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

power steering hose

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  AndyW 
#1 ·
Hi everybody,
need a little guidance on replacing the high pressure steering hose on my 2001 slk 320. i'm a pretty good wrench slinger but this one has me at a loss. I can't see the end that goes into the rack. Is it a big job getting to it or should i just take it and have it done. Any help would be appreciated.

#2 ·
Hey, i changed power-steering-hose on my SLK230 (so i'm not sure about your SLK320)
But for my car, it is easy if u have the right tools-- and near impossible if u don't, cuz the nut is way down in there.

Better to DIY! since, i paid a mechanic a few years ago to do it, and he put it in UPSIDE DOWN, thus rubbing against metal, and ripping a new hole in the hose :mad:

Just make sure u take pictures and remember the CORRECT ORIENTATION , when u take the OLD ONE out :angel

You need one of these 2 combos:

17mm crowfoot flare nut wrench + breaker bar (long ratchet) ---OR--- flare nut wrench + cheater bar (pipe).

"crowfoot flare nut wrench" is preferred & looks like this:
http://public.snapon.com/R_RRD/Objects_lg/images/FRHM20.jpg

#3 ·
Hey, i changed power-steering-hose on my SLK230 (so i'm not sure about your SLK320)
But for my car, it is easy if u have the right tools-- and near impossible if u don't, cuz the nut is way down in there.

Better to DIY!!
I learned that the hard way, since i paid a mechanic a few years ago to do it, and he put it in UPSIDE DOWN, thus rubbing against metal, and ripping a hole in the NEW hose a year later :mad:

Just make sure u take pictures and remember the CORRECT ORIENTATION , when u take the OLD HOSE out :angel

You need one of these 2 combos:

17mm crowfoot flare nut wrench + breaker bar (or long ratchet) ---OR--- flare nut wrench + cheater bar (pipe).

"crowfoot flare nut wrench" is preferred & looks like this:
http://public.snapon.com/R_RRD/Objects_lg/images/FRHM20.jpg

:beerchugr:

#5 ·
Necroing this thread because I am having the exact same issue. For the 320, it is nearly impossible to get to the connections on the steering gear assembly. I think if I remove the entire steering bar I could get in there from underneath but am not sure what the correct method here is or what I am missing. I've been wrenching on my BMW's and this Merc for several years but job seems to have routed everything to obstruct either the view of the job or the tool, or both. TIA.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.