Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Tail Light Assembly Woes

753 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Machisonojas 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

I have a 1999 SLK 230 that never had the tail light assembly replaced by MB. My problem is that the cost to barge the car over to Honolulu (I live on Kauai where there is no MB authorized mechanic) is more expensive and inconvenient than simply purchasing and installing on my own. I found the ULO brand at $118 + S/H for each side. Is this the only part trade out to get my brake lights to function again? The middle lights on the trunk function as they should.
Thank you for your time
Joe

#2 ·
Get the ULO tail light assembly. I just replaced my passenger side light on my 99 SLK230 - which had been replaced several years ago by MB as part of their "secret" warranty. Problem is that the replacement part is exactly the same as the original one and it fails the same way. The new unit comes with bulbs and sockets installed so there is nothing else to buy. If you have not yet removed the old unit, it is very simple and the whole job just tasks a few minutes. Remove the access panels in the trunk and you will see that there is not much room in there for a wrench - especially on the right side. Simply push the taillight in a bit to unload the 3 nuts that hold it to the car. Remove the nuts by hand, unplug the electrical harness and reverse the process. Ten minutes at most, including time out for a beer, even for my elderly fingers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.