Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Noise when starting

718 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  slk230red 
#1 ·
When I start my car, (R170 230SLK 2002, 65k miles) after having left it for more than 3-4 Days, about 5-10 seconds After it fires up I get a mechanical noise for 2-3 seconds (like a tin of bolts being rattled).:eek:crying

The car drives perfectly with no noises or rattles once this has happened.

It is showing no fault codes, no error lights are on, all fluid levels have been checked except the Kompressor and there is no sign of fluid leaks on the area under the car.

Has anyone ever experienced a similar condition to this ??

I am at a loss how to proceed with this worrying problem.

I am 99% it is from the front of the engine bay and only lasts for very short time.

That is the pain in the butt about this - you have to leave it for 4 days to get a repeat occurance.

What about any other items that are Mechanical in nature.??
Can the Purge Valve be really noisy
Crankshaft Sensors. Can they make noise ??
Anyone ever had a noise come from the magnetic engine fan coupling.??
Is the Camshaft chain tensioner capable of making a noise.

Remember it takes 5-10 seconds of perfect Engine Running for the noise to happen. And I don't feel any shaking of the engine when it occurs.

Itsounds as if there is no oil for a few seconds. But the Engine Oil is on the full mark

Engine starts up instantly from cold.

Checked underneath today and nothing is loose or making noise.

Hoping someone can come up with an answer or at least a suggestion I can investigate.

I have had a comprehensive search through the forum and have found a number of people with the same or similar problem.

The trouble is nobody has returned after sorting the problem to tell us what they found and the cure.

Mike

See less See more
#2 ·
The noise you hear at start up is probably the magnetic cam adjuster. Mine has made this noise since I bought it new in 2000. The important thing is to make sure oil is not seeping to the module through the wiring harness. The dealer fixed my oil seeping problem under warranty and replaced the ECM, some wiring, and the magnetic cam adjuster.
It still makes the noise at start up if it sits for a few days.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.