Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

r170 vario roof odd issue

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Luis Eduardo Encinas 
#1 ·
hello everyone, hope you are all doing well!

I am experiencing a rather odd situation with mine's 2002slk vario roof, it does not operate properly. In fact it starts well -by opening the trunklid- but can't get the top up.
Similarly to others the symptoms started some time ago, though with every second attempt it used to work.

here's the sequence:
1. the roof is up, firmly closed
2. by pressing the vario roof button, all 4 windows are lowered correctly,
3. the trunklid unlocks and lifts up nicely
4. the top's front-lock unlocks
4b. but it (the top) fails to retract. you can see a slight movement of it (just a couple millimeters) but then it sticks there.
5. Keep pushing the button, the pump just pressurizes the oil and the top keeps on unsuccessfully trying to lift up.
6. releasing the button, and as the pump stops pumping oil, the top moves back to its normal (close) position.
(as I said, up to this step all reactions seemed normal to me as with another push of the button, the top was retracting)
7. trying again the roof button, the roof again moves backwards slightly but fails to open up

I understand that the problem should not be related to the pump; as it manages to both lift the trunklid and unlock the top's front-lock correctly.
From your experiences guys, it could be a sensor or valve related issue or even a failed cable.

Here's what else I've done trying to figure out where the problem(s) might be:
8. with the trunklid opened,
8b. I've tried the closing procedure but nothing happened. This time the button's led flickered while previously -when trying the opening procedure- it was constantly illuminated.
9. I've depressurized the system and pushed the trunklid forward (trying manual close). It moved ok.
9b. In an attempt to avoid any sensor being activated/deactivated when the trunklid was fully opened, I've half-closed it and retried:
10. With the trunklid semi opened/closed, I've pushed the roof button to 'complete' the closing procedure. Yet again, the led flickered. No movement at all.
11. I've then tried to open the roof: The trunklid opened nicely as before, but yet again the procedure dead-ended with the top being stuck as said above.
12. Finally, I've re-released the pressure and this time I've fully pushed the trunklid till it reached its 'normal' position, and
13. I've then retried to automatically complete the closing procedure, which this time was successful. The trunklid locked, the top's front-lock locked and all windows raised as should.

Do you guys have any ideas or thoughts about what the case might be?
Please also bear in mind that I am not an expert and I've never tried to fix something similar or 'uncover' any part of the car especially roof-related.

I would very much appreciate any kind of help,
Cheers,
John

P.S. I've decided to start with these top's front sensors, but as you can see, with the top not moving upwards more than just a couple millimeters, is impossible to reach them.

See less See more
#2 ·
OK, at the risk of sounding stupid: Have you tried simply pushing up on the top from inside while operating the button? Often my SLK tops have been a bit sticky when trying to put them down. Might just be a lubrication issue.
Even with as much as I operate my top, it sticks regularly. I just bump it with my hand and then resolve to go home and lube it up. And then I forget until the next time. :)

#3 ·
I did tried cause I see it moving that bit and I hear that pump spinning and I can almost feel it opening.. though again it sticks there. Obviously I am not pushing like crazy cause I am afraid of damaging either the top's mechanism itself or even the pump. I won't hold that button for long if there's no any movement at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.