Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

2001 SLK 320 Driver electric seat wont move back

11K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Kobus 
#1 ·
Hope someone can shed some light. Having a much shorter wife, when we swap vehicles, I have to move the seat back. Today I get in and as usual, need to move it back to get my knees off my chin but it would not move back. All other adjustments, including forward work. No noise, clicking, buzzing, whirring, nada - just dead silence when I pushed the switch rearward. I tried it with the keys out, keys in, car running, car not running, sitting in the seat and out of the seat.

My first question is, do I assume correctly that the same motor that moves it forward, moves it rearward? If so, then perhaps I'm only into a switch issue.

And if that is the case, anyone have a good diagram, repair directions for R&R the switch? And a good source for one?

Thanks and happy Monday!

#2 ·
Sounds like a switch. You can substitute another switch to see if that works... maybe use the forward switch or backward from the other seat. I would conclude that the same motor controls forward and back. Search ebay by part number or year, model, and switch description. Some switches may be interchangeable. I would buy the cheapest one I can find, and not reward the OEM for their fault at your expense. I have very rarely been able to repair similar electrical switches.

#4 ·
Found the part number - apparently you have to buy the whole plastic side piece with the switches attached. 170 820 25 10.
Now, anyone know the best place to get it? Ebay has a couple used in the $125 range but they are off an 04 Crossfire. A complete used seat is $325 with it all together. Considering I'm betting I'll have to pull the seat to do this, it may be the ticket.

#6 ·
Yes - if both seats stopped completely, there's a relay you have to disassemble part of the lower dash to get to on the driver's side.

I found several good threads with instructions and pictures on the SLK board. I plan on trying to break it down and clean up the contacts when I get a chance. I was finally able to jiggle it around enough to actuate and move back, so it'll stay put until I can get to it.

The relay issue is given a great deal of info on the second link.

Power seat problem - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum
Intermittent seat adjustment problem. Seat relay fix. - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum
Electric seat trouble - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

#10 ·
For LHD drive cars it is on the left side behind the instrument cluster, but I don't know if it was left on the same side for RHD cars or if it was moved over to the right-hand side of the car.

So I guess you will have to do the detective work on this and educate all your fellow RHD car owners. :grin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.