Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Help replacing 155mm crank pulley with 178mm

2K views 8 replies 2 participants last post by  Billy22Bob 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm looking to purchase a new crank pulley and just need to check off some items before I do.
1. I'm told the PN 112 035 07 00 is for the 178mm pulley. If someone is clever with EPC - maybe they could check for me.
2. I understand the 112 035 00 00 and 112 035 06 00 versions are to be avoided as they formed part of a recall (in the US) due to catastrophic failure.
3. I'm wondering if I should do the swap myself or pay my mech $200 to do the job. Keeping in mind - if I sell the car I'd probably remove the mod and hence would have to pay for that to be reversed - whereas if I did it myself I can do for "free" + tools.
4. If anyone's done this I'd be interested in your tool kit and if you replaced the bolt - even though it was less than the specified 78mm.
5. I'd be looking to replace the water pump and alternator pulleys as well as a pulley saver kit by utilising the alternator bolt.

I plan on running the 178 with my Code3 65mm SC pulley, 550cc injectors and WalboroGSL392 fuel pump (stock filter and internal 3.9bar FPR). Probably with a tune if its showing poor fuel economy - but maybe not.

some background info here

TIA b22b

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I'm getting ready to replace the crankshaft pulley on my '02 SLK32 with 37,000 miles. I smelled burning rubber when I stepped out of the car today. I popped the hood/bonnet while the engine was idling; the drive belt looks OK but the crankshaft pulley had a definite wobble about it.
Checking around on the interwebs I can get a new pulley for $294, the bolt is $10 and I can get an aftermarket pulley retainer tool for $60 with free delivery.
I never knew that there was a recall on these pulleys: from my reading the original part 112 035 07 00 was replaced by the current part 112 035 16 00. Additionally the bolt Part No. 112 031 00 71 has been replaced by 006-990-70-04.
I'm an engineer and I wouldn't reuse that bolt - especially for only $10. I already have the 27mm socket for the bolt - I use it for turning the crank to drain the torque converter on the E320. I can borrow a 1/2" drive 400Nm torque wrench, so I should be good to go.
How difficult is it to remove the fan?
I recently replaced the water pump on my E320 which involved removing the belt driven fan and clutch as well as the PS pump and belt tensioner - this job looks to be a little easier.

#4 ·
112 035 07 00 I understand is not the OEM part.

My OEM crank is 112 035 016 00. Got the pulley in the correct position arfer a couple of turn overs and read it yesterday.
However - having said that - it could have been replaced already.

112 035 00 00 and 112 035 06 00 apparently have poor rubber which eventually bursts causing the pulley to fail and damage a lot of things in the process.
You are correct - 112 035 16 00 was the replacement PN - and what I have on my car.

I am still researching 112 035 07 00

#5 ·
I'm still trying to source parts from non- dealer sources - the dealer price for the pulley is $410 (US)
112 035 07 00 was the original pulley but it is NLA. As far as I know 112 035 16 00 is the replacement (From the supercharged V8s, I think).
Pelican Parts here in the US won't order the new part No - as they say it doesn't fit my car !
So I'm taking my business elsewhere. . . .
The pulley for the AMGs has 8 grooves, whereas the pulley for the normally aspirated 320 V6s only has 6 grooves.
I believe that 112 035 06 00 was the original 6 groove pulley - the one that caused the service campaign/recall.

#8 ·
I do have an indicator and a mag base.
However, the pulley is keyed onto the crankshaft end, the pulley and the bolt are tapered, so I'm not sure how much scope for adjustment is available. Basically, it is what it is.
The specified values look pretty sloppy anyway.
I may do a check on the existing pulley before I remove it and then do a comaparo with the new one.

#9 · (Edited)
Okay - I received my 178mm pulley this week.
Ended auction here
Turns out it might be an ASP Pulley - someone said they took stock ones and put larger rings on them. Hence the original OEM PN but different diameter.
Who knows.
Going to get a drive shaft shop to check balance before I install.

geordie - how are you going with your install? Not sure if I will do myself or not. Indie mech will do for $150 (no warranty)....but if I sell the car, then I'd like to recover the pulley pre sale = $150x2.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.