Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

SLK 239K Carlsson - what are the mods ?

6K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  bikz 
#1 ·
Hi guys, my car was bought back in 2003, it is a SLK 230K 1998,
It had one previous owner, but i had bought it from a second hand dealer.
I was told it was a Carlsson Spec, exteriorly, only difference was the word "carlsson Kompressor" on the right side of the boot.
Engine wise, from what i could see at the time, it had a bigger crank pulley, and the post IC airway was stainless steel.

So, does anyone know what does carlsson spec actually mean, what else was done to the engine.
The main reason i am asking now is i am planning to get a 2nd Eaton M62 and port it.
But if the original supercharger is already modified, then i shall forgo my plans.

And on a side note, how wide can i port the outlet (i have gone through the various threads in this sites and other eaton 62 related sites, but what i deduce is most come to about 0.5cm off the silencer holes.)

Thx in advance.

#2 ·
it probably is a stage 1 kit - most of the tuners at the time had similar kits and it usually consisted of (not all kits contained these parts this is what they had)

1) larger crankshaft pulley
2) new belt
3) under drive pulleys to compensate for the larger crank pulley
4) air filter of some sort

stage 2 was the above plus
1) intercooler
2) ecu tune
3) exhaust work

thats roughly as about as far as it went in terms of tuning the SLK230. renntech did port a supercharger and did crazy stuff but it never went to market and or cost too much $$

#3 ·
Consists of a special belt pulley, vibration damper, deflection pulley, special airfilter and Carlsson chrome insignia.

probably looking at 164-167kW at the engine 223-225hp with just the above.

Attachments

#4 ·
awesome, i dont know how u are so resoursefull, spent days and could not get that info. Thanx.
the deflection pulley is an idler pulley - if so, no wonder had such a hard time finding a replacement for mine which was stuck.
now i can go ahead with a ported supercharger.

#6 ·
yep renntech outsourced the porting to another company but it was ported. I cant remember if it was part of their stage 4 kit (worth $19,950!!) but added total + 100hp.

to put it into perspective, the stage 1 kit (basically a pulley) added 30hp for $4900!

the engine would also happily rev past 7,000rpm.. factory limiter is 5,800rpm on the older slks - i got mine increased to 6,200rpm.

Attachments

#7 ·
what Magnuson say;

Eaton superchargers were developed and designed for the OEM markets and meet all federal regulations including “noise pollution” standards. Roots style superchargers have a very distinctive “whine” when running that far exceeds federal noise limits if special measures are not taken.

To address this issue for OEM applications Eaton reduces port timing and port size. This trade-off cures the noise issue but at the same time the reduced port duration and port area drastically reduce the supercharger’s efficiency resulting in poor airflow and greatly increased exit air temperatures.

hear it whine! :)

#8 ·
How do you increase the Rev limiter? Would it cause damage to the engine?

#9 ·
it can only be done in the ECU flash programing by someone who knows. its safe as the facelift slk230 revs to 6200. the older slk for some reason rev to 5800.

people who have run aftermarket computers and did turbo conversions on their M111 motors (mainly the c200/c230 w203 cars) have had max rpm limiters 7000-7200rpm with no issues.

only thing is if i leave my car in D, it will shift at 5800 rpm as the transmission computer doesnt know the new max rpm (transmission computer is not re-programmable on pre face lift) BUT if i manually shift gears in the auto it will rev over the old 5800rpm limiter.

why? you dont really make much more power above that, but that extra 400-500rpm saves a gear change when doing 0-100km/h which saves time. from memory it just shifts into 3rd gear in the auto at about 95km/h.

again you dont really use this day to day, only if doing stuff like 0-100 etc

#11 ·
i never did do times when stock so not sure what it did then.

best i could do is 5.8 and thats prior to increasing the rpm limiter as i said the slk230 auto makes 3 gear changes to get to 100, where the 3rd happens at around 97km/h.

re-doing it now that might drop it to 5.5 mark (havent done that yet to confirm) and you need practice so you dont bounce off the rev limiter too.

avg times are low to mid 6's as taking off is hard with traction off it will just spin 1st gear, with traction on bogs first gear so much.

from a roll its very strong pulls very hard!

#12 ·
That are awesome timings. Wish to achieve that one day. Currently best I get is only 6.7 secs. The take off is very tricky indeed, to much power and spins too much.

wanted to port a 2nd supercharger... but sadly my TB had decided to completely fail. From the occasional ASR light + limp mode with bad stuttering, now it's every 10 to 20 km.Does that mean the motor is burnt ; is there any way of a repair, or just got to get a new one?

(P.S. to those who are planning to clean the TB, don't move the butterfly flap, me and my itchy hands )

#13 ·
it may not have "failed". if you have carsoft you can use it to reset adaption tables which will reset the throttle.

once you start the car after resetting it wont idle and hunt like crazy, turn it off and clear codes then restart the car - now throttle adaption has been reset to baseline. cheaper than a new throttle body and worth a try

#14 ·
I don't have carsoft, I only have a Chinese OBD diagnostics called Launch x431 (something like thishttp://diagnosticscanner.buy.opencroquet.org/pz59bbeca-bmw-mercedes-benz-launch-x431-gx3-scanner-auto-code-scan.html -but the bluetooth OBD version)
It's ok for reading Fault codes , but I doubt it can reset right. Will head down to a workshop with it and give it a try.

#15 ·
tried resetting the adaptation with my carsoft, didnt make a difference.
Bought a second hand TB, reset, and it worked near fine for nearly 400 km . Did have on and off hunting at idle, but then last two days the freqeuent "surging idle " with ASR and limp mode after few seconds, keep happening.
Error codes include:
P1580 Actuator (M33)
P1186 Safety fuel shit off
above to are always there.
the codes below are there sometimes, sometimes dont come back after a clearing faults.
P0560 Voltage controle module
P0730 Read ETC Fault memory

anyone has any experience with this?
(should i just start a new thread?)

#16 ·
for anyone who comes across this thread, the major problems have been solved. i guess i had a faulty TB, and a bad K40 relay
- with the "newer" TB (second hand), car idled most of the time well, then it will go into its bouts of backfiring and bad idle.
- in the process, i had also changed the camshaft sensor (but did not make a difference)
- took out the K40 again (checked it about a year ago) -> this time 2 of the top left solders were gone -> took it to my fren who runs a phone repair shop , he checked under his microscope, even the other solderwhich looked normal with the naked eye was not perfec. He re-soldered all (my electronic skills suck), and now my car is back to being its usual self.

Only thing which didn't get fixed is my drop in boost [boost gauge at the FPR]
- used to get 0.6 yo 0.7 bar max -> its only 0.5 bar for the past 6 months or so,- the Bypass valve is changed as well
- thought it was a bad supercharger, got myself a new supercharger, ported the outlet and inlet, but the boost is exactly the same.
could it be the Cam magnet ? or Crankshaft sensor (the only two sensors which have not been changed)

so far changed:
- MAF
- O2 sensor
- Throtlle body
- Bypass valve
- Camshaft sensor

or should i try clamping the MAF (but going through the threads, doesnt seem to change the boost lost)

Hope to get as many inputs as possible...running outta ideas

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.