BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Apr 2010
Vehicle: 2005 Brillliant Silver SL500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
OBD2 Data Access Port plug wiring

I have a 2001 SLK 320 with a non-functioning OBD2 port. Apparently the previous owner was not careful when plugging into the underdash port and the plug is smashed so the wires are not connected to the proper places in the 16 pin plug. I need to know what color wire goes to each of the pin holes and I realize that not every pin hole is populated. I've searched everywhere and have not been able to find this information. I've looked at pinout info on various sites but none of them tell what color wire goes to each pin and that is what I really need to know. Does anyone have this information that they can share? Or, can anyone look at their 2001 SLK 320 OBD2 plug and report the wire colors here? I know this is asking a lot but I really need this information because the plug doesn't work and I am getting a SRS warning light on the dash but I can't pull any codes to determine why the light is on. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 07:15 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Apr 2010
Vehicle: 2005 Brillliant Silver SL500
(Thread Starter)
Smile Solved part of the problem

I was finally able to get the question answered about the proper wiring by contacting "JustAnswer.com and chatting online with "Eurotech" a Mercedes tech. It cost a bit but he sent me the wiring diagram as well as the wire color codes and I was able to properly wire the port. I tried my Toptak 280 OBD2 scanner in the port and it powered up but it gave me a message that it couldn't connect. I went back the the tech at Just Answers and he felt pretty certain that it was a scanner problem, not an OBD2 port problem. I stopped by an Auto Zone and they were able to connect through the port so he was right. I purchased a new scanner at Harbor Freight because I thought it was a really good sale price and it did connect with no problem. However I found out this scanner was the same as the Autel MS509 which apparently is now discontinued but can be purchased online for about half the "good" sale price at HF. Also the software that came with the scanner was useless so I returned the scanner and will probably buy an ELM 327 bluetooth device now that I know the port is working. It seems that none of these scanners will help me with the SRS light so I'm off to the local mechanic Monday.
#3 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 07:40 PM

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 1998 SLK 230
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
none of the handheld scanners do anything but the motor which is what you need most of the time anyway.

to do other systems (transmission, body, brakes ABS etc) you need to take it to MB or an independent MB mechanic which has access to STAR/DAS tool.

- ASP pulley kit
- 87mm supercharger pulley
- Ported Eaton M62 supercharger
- Ported supercharger inlet manifold
- MAF screen & throttle body screen delete
- Automatic intercooler spray kit
- Single 2.5" Magnaflow Hi-flow cat
- Magnaflow rear muffler + Lukey Ultraflo resonator
- Shift-I progressive shift light
- Custom ECU tune
- Air box delete (custom) with BMC airfilter
- 10c degree STAR thermo fan mod
- FireStorm igntion coil booster
- PIVOT Raizin voltage stabilizer
#4 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 08:09 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: 2003 SLK230 USA model, Auto Transmission, Stock, Firemist Red
Car Care Can OBDII Eobd?ii OBD2 Diagnostic Memo Scanner Trouble Code Reader U480 | eBay

This looks like the scanner I bought. For $20 you can read DTC codes and clear those codes that clear the CEL. You can also check inspection readiness.

Thom
2003 SLK230 USA model
Automatic Transmission
No Alterations/Stock
Southeast, USA
#5 (permalink) Old 03-09-2013, 04:03 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2012
Vehicle: 1999 SLK230
Send a message via Skype™ to dandywarhol
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewedforu View Post
I was finally able to get the question answered about the proper wiring by contacting "JustAnswer.com and chatting online with "Eurotech" a Mercedes tech. It cost a bit but he sent me the wiring diagram as well as the wire color codes and I was able to properly wire the port. I tried my Toptak 280 OBD2 scanner in the port and it powered up but it gave me a message that it couldn't connect. I went back the the tech at Just Answers and he felt pretty certain that it was a scanner problem, not an OBD2 port problem. I stopped by an Auto Zone and they were able to connect through the port so he was right. I purchased a new scanner at Harbor Freight because I thought it was a really good sale price and it did connect with no problem. However I found out this scanner was the same as the Autel MS509 which apparently is now discontinued but can be purchased online for about half the "good" sale price at HF. Also the software that came with the scanner was useless so I returned the scanner and will probably buy an ELM 327 bluetooth device now that I know the port is working. It seems that none of these scanners will help me with the SRS light so I'm off to the local mechanic Monday.
It appears the Autel 509 software only works with windows XP. I've yet to get hold of an old laptop to try it. Apart from that the 509 works pretty wel for a cheapo scanner - even though it's a 2008 build date.

Whale oil beef hooked!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R170 SLK Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.