Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

More Steering and Wheels....

811 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Firm 
#1 ·
So, last week I had an alignment done at the dealer because my steering wheel was a few degrees off center (to the left). Car drove great afterwards, so despite the cost I was pretty happy. This weekend, I swapped my stock wheels (stagged 16's) off for my winter wheels. As per the owners manual, my winters are non-stagged (aftermarket rims) with 205/55/R16's. Driving to work this morning I notice two things:
1. my steering wheel is now slightly off-center to the right
2. I am getting a little more vibration than I am used to in the steering wheel on the highway.
My winter wheel combo only has about 5000kms on it from last year, and I had them re-balanced this year at a very reputable shop before installing them. I double checked all my tire pressures and they're good. The tires themselves are cheap-ish Sailun Ice Blazers, which may explain the extra vibration. But what really has me confused is the steering wheel alignment? How can changing the wheels have any affect on this? Car still seems to track nice and straight, only issue is the off center wheel.
Since I don't drive it all that much during the winter, I am inclined to just live with it until the spring when I get my normal wheels back on....But I'd really like to understand this whole alignment thing, any thoughts?

#2 ·
Very common to have a marginal tire cause a pull. Try changing positions and see if that changes the steering.

#4 ·
So, went for a road test with the MB shop foreman this morning. He agrees that the alignment is off, but claims that changing to winter wheels is why. He is citing the fact that the off-set on my winter rims (aftermarket) is different than my OE summer rims. He claims this has been relatively common when people switch their rims.
What do you think, accurate or a line of shit??

I think I am going to do exactly what I wanted to avoid doing and swap back to summer wheels this weekend and then drive the car to see if the dealer is correct....He claims that switching back to summers would bring the correct alignment back.

IF that works, then I'll have to source another set of OE rims to use as winters.

What a PITA.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.