BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2009
Vehicle: 1999 SLK230 Sport 5-Speed Manual, Silver, Subtle Red on Black Interior
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
DIY - Replace the Brake Light Switch

There are quite a few threads that have great info about the BAS/ESP Light that helped me out a ton when I had the issue a while back, but I didn't run across a thread that actually showed how to replace the switch since that is one of the primary culprits of the dreaded BAS/ESP light. It isn't very complicated, but I know there are people like me that like to see what we are getting into in advance and put off the work prior to having details. Besides, so many of the more complicated service tasks have been well documented with pictures by other members, I have to grab opportunities to make a contribution to the forum!

For many projects on the SLK, it helps to have a bathroom mirror like in the picture to minimize contortionist activities. The tiny extension-rod mirrors are great for certain tasks in cramped quarters, but often a wide angle view is golden. Your significant other will be thrilled with you... so buy one for the garage to get scraped up and greasy over time.

The general location of the brake light switch can be seen in these photos, it is on the shaft in the footwell that the brake pedal pushes against. The switch is the black plastic part between the red wires and the silver metal brace.
DIY - Replace the Brake Light Switch-img_5193.jpg
DIY - Replace the Brake Light Switch-img_5195.jpg

Here is a mug shot of the b!@#*d:
DIY - Replace the Brake Light Switch-img_5197.jpg

REMOVAL

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable. Have stereo code available for after reconnecting the battery.

2. While it helps with access, the hassle and potential broken aging plastic tabs and paint scrapes should lead you to be a contortionist and skip removing the lower instrument panel cover.

The part is just above and shielded by the lower plastic instrument panel cover, making this a contortionist exercise to replace. Wear long sleeves, you can see the blood on the panel in the picture above! (ok, just the original red paint bleeding through before I re-repainted the panels)

Name:  BrakeLightSwitch.JPG
Views: 1971
Size:  38.1 KB

3. Disconnect the brake lamp switch harness connectors (1).

4. Press the locking tab (2) and rotate the brake lamp switch
(4) clockwise. (Only quarter turn or so if I remember correctly)

5. Remove the brake lamp switch (4) from the brake pedal brace (3).

INSTALLATION

1. When you get the new brake light switch, don't press the white plastic part into the black body, or if you do, you can pull it back out. The length will be set as you install the switch and the first time you press the brake pedal after installation, and a wild guess on my part you may as well press the brake pedal for the first time with the engine running / power brakes pressurized to get the 'normal' brake pedal travel.

2. Install the brake lamp switch into the brake pedal brace (2) and rotate counterclockwise until it hits the stop. If I recall, you may need to hold the brake pedal out a bit against the force of the spring while initially seating the brake switch.

3. Connect the brake lamp switch harness connector (1).

4. Connect the negative battery cable.

5. Perform the BAS/ESP Reset Procedure - with the engine running and the steering wheel centered, turn the wheel all the way to the Left lock, then all the way to the Right lock, then back to center. Note this procedure relates to the battery disconnection, not because the brake switch was replaced.

6. Enter your radio code.

7. Hope your problem is solved and you do not need to continue trouble-shooting.

The most entertaining post I've run across on benzworld related to the BAS/ESP light switch, you should read this to offset the irritation of scraping your wrists on the lower panel performing the above procedure:
Hilarious Benzworld Member Post

Happy Twisty Roads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-11-2012, 03:51 PM
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: 2001 SLK320, 2000 GMC Sonoma, 1996 firebird, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB
I just did this yesterday - your description of the job is bang on. Nice work. And, I think my problem is solved!
#3 (permalink) Old 11-11-2012, 05:34 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2007
Vehicle: 2001 SLK 320(178K Miles), 2002 E320 Special Edition(156K Miles)
Don't know why everybody insists that the battery cable be removed? If the key is out there is no power to the switch. Hell, even with the key in position 0 there is no energy to that switch.

Only two thing are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the former.
Albert Einstein

Honest politicians are like UFOs. Most people believe that there must be some out there somewhere, but nobody has yet been able to prove their existence.
#4 (permalink) Old 11-18-2012, 04:24 PM
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: 1999 SLK230 Sport 5-Speed Manual, Silver, Subtle Red on Black Interior
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobus View Post
Don't know why everybody insists that the battery cable be removed? If the key is out there is no power to the switch. Hell, even with the key in position 0 there is no energy to that switch.
I also thought the battery disconnect might not be necessary, on some other cars the brake lights come on if pressed even without keys near the ignition probably for safety if rolling the car, but I had checked on the SLK and the brake lights don't light up without the key in the ignition.

But the disconnect is part of the MB procedure...
#5 (permalink) Old 11-18-2012, 06:53 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2011
Vehicle: 1999 SLK230 Sport
Thanks for the step-by-step with pictures! I am also one of those people who has been thinking about doing this fix, but was always too intimidated. Great job showing everything, so now maybe that stupid light will finally go off!!
#6 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 08:38 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2009
Vehicle: 2004 230SLK
The last brake switch I bought had an instruction sheet which said to insert
a .047" spacer between the switch plunger and the brake pedal arm before releasing the brake pedal. Perhaps this gives enough clearance to prevent vibration from causing unwanted switch movement. Just thought I'd pass this along for the readers.

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol!
#7 (permalink) Old 06-01-2014, 03:19 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Nov 2008
Vehicle: 2002 SLK 230 (Original Owner)
Great DIY! Just replaced my old burned brake lamp switch, since I was stuck in the infamous Park gear. Just make sure you buy an OEM part and also clean the switch plugs!

Bahama Blue ->Crystal Sides ->Continental DWS on Chrome Rims ->Centric Rotors(slot/drilled) & Pads(ceramic) ->S2000 Wind Screen.

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R170 SLK Class