Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

just back from the IAA (Frankfurt Auto Show)

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  BlueBenz 
#1 ·
I won't pretend to be an auto journalist, but I know 2 things...

1. Everyone with any interest in cars MUST go
2. Mercedes Benz knows how to put on a show

Imagine riding up a long escalator up to the top of a huge building. Sketches are strew everywhere along the ride. Hanging from the ceiling and posted on the walls. As you get to the top, you see what you are looking for at the very bottom of the hall....the SLR! On a glowing stage accompanied by a classic Mercedes Gullwing (both in Silver). It made the 3 levels of spiraling exhibits seem and eternity, but I managed to stop and check out almost everything. Particularly, The final edition SLK and the SLK 32 AMG. I left drool marks on pretty much everything E55, SL55 AMG, and S600. All except the Vaneo and A class, but there are cool in their own rights.

Then there was the SLR. I thought it was one the most beautiful cars at the show. I was amazed that you could actually get in one of the SLRs. The line was so long to get in, and it seemed that when the people got up there it took them 5 minutes to grip the wheel, check the stereo, and of course pull down the door. Probably should have waited, but time was a tickin and there were 9 more halls to see.

VW was probably 2nd in showmanship. The concept R was a great car, although you could only get within about 6 feet of it. The Phaeton and Touaregs made a big impression

Anyways, it was a car lovers dream. Every major car manufacturer and plenty of other shops were there. Spyker was one car that stood out to me.

http://www.spykercars.nl/spyder.htm

The tuning and design centers had great exhibits, but I did not have time to visit them in depth. Open air systems had a great exhibit. They had three cars there. One was a particularly interesting car called the OASYS vision. It's a vario roof BMW. The one they had at the show looked like an M3, but the one on their website is plain 3 series. Very interesting option, but I'm sure that the added cost makes an SL500 comparable and a SLK32 a bargain.

http://www.openairsystems.com/company/en/3922.html

anyways. that's that. I've got some 300 pictures and I have never had any luck with posting pics to this site. so if any are interested I'll send a link to my picture site.

ny

See less See more
#2 ·
I was there last week-end...

Saturday morning 09.15! Way too much visitors. I only managed the first 4 halls out of 10!!! I felt like cattle when visitingthe MB exihibition. It was fantastic execpt of the mass of visitors made it almost unvisitable!!

Next time will I visit the IAA during tuesday morning or so, so I can enjoy being there!!

#3 ·
Thats why I didn't go

far too many people, happens every year and you can't really enjoy the cars with thousands of people fighting to get over them.
I only live 15 minutes from the "Messe", and didn't go. In fact, I couldn't get a parking space yesterday at the sports hall, as the car park was turned into a park and ride for the IAA.
You guys should have told me you were visiting Frankfurt, could have met for a beer...

#4 ·
I am currently in Frankfurt, I went to the IAA on Saturday. It was a big mess. I had to wa...

I am currently in Frankfurt, I went to the IAA on Saturday. It was a big mess. I had to wait about 15 minutes to even get to the escalators at MB. But once it was my turn it was like riding upstairs to heaven. At the top they gave out free drinks to the people to compensate for the hassle.
MB had truely the best show, although the only real interesting thing was the SLR and the CLS, other than that it was old news. I thought both cars look absolutely awesome, even better than on pictures. I also liked the E55 stationwagon, and some other interesting stuff I will post pictures of soon.

Because of the huge crowds I could only see a couple of halls, but it was well worth it.

Hey BlueBenz, I asked a long time ago if someone wants to meet up here. I will be leaving for Belgium tomorrow, but I am back on Saturday. If you want we can meet up for a beer and some autobahn racing (I have the new BMW 5 rental car). leave me a message at 0172-6801542.

#7 ·
Sorry for missing informing you....

I'll be in Frankfurt again in mid october as my spouse Karin currently got some vacation and visits me here in Vilnius!!!

I'll get in touch - Now as I also got my SLK in Frankfurt!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.