SLK CD Changer Installation - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R170 SLK Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2010, 10:05 AM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: 2003 SLK230 USA model, Auto Transmission, Stock, Firemist Red
SLK CD Changer Installation

Here is the text from the cd changer installation procedure where the link doesn’t work anymore:

SLK CD Changer Installation
This page documents the installation of a CD changer in the SLK
By Rafael Tamayo. E-mail:rafael@systema.net
I bought the MB OEM (I believe it is made by Alpine) changer for about $450 from Auto Class in Miami, FL.
There I spoke with Gaston, who was very friendly and ready to lend a hand. Go to: www.autoclass.net
The installation is pretty simple and anyone with some mechanical experience
should be able to do the whole thing in less than one hour.
Step 1: Locate the factory wiring. The cables are located behind the access panel in the passenger side of the trunk.
There are three orange fiber-optic cables. Two of the cables (labeled HU-OUT and TEL-IN) lead to one connector head,
and the third cable (labeled HU-IN) lead to another connector head. There is also a black power cable.
All cables are tie-wrapped and must be untied for the installation. (Finding the cables was the hardest part of the installation.)

Step 2: With a small flat-head screwdriver, carefully, unclip the connector heads for the fiber-optic cables.
Recombine the cables so that the HU-IN and HU-OUT are in the same connector head.

Step 3: Pull out the head unit from the dash. A special tool is normally required for this, but I was able to do it using a Swiss Army knife.
Insert a small blade or file in the slits located in the lower corners of the unit, unclip one side first and then the other one.

Step 4: There are four orange fiber-optic cables leading to two connector heads.
Again carefully unclip the connector heads for the fiber-optic cables.

Step 5: Recombine the cables so that the CDC-IN and CDC-OUT are in the same connector head.
Hook up this connector to the head unit. Replace the head unit in the dash.
Step 6: Go back to the trunk and hook up the fiber-optic and power connectors the CD-Changer unit.
Cut a small notch in the access panel lidfor the wires to come out of, and replace the lid.
Step 7: Secure the changer into place. I don’t have the bracket but I used Velcro straps and it worked fine.

The old installation link does not work anymore. Here is a head unit removal link.
http://www.perfectmarketaudio.com/remove.html
No Alterations/Stock
Southeast, USA

Last edited by DecoThom; 06-20-2010 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Added link for head unit removal
DecoThom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2010, 07:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
BenzWorld Extremist

Thanks to Leapyfish I can post the link that was salvaged.
The link below for installation procedure that I mentioned in the earlier post text is obsolete:.
http://www.slk32.com/pages/cdinstall/cdinstall.html
New link for salvaged CD installation below: http://web.archive.org/web/200709212...cdinstall.html

Last edited by DecoThom; 07-05-2010 at 07:22 PM.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2009
Vehicle: 2000 SLK230 SILVER EXTERIOR RED/BLACK INTERIOR
install cd changer

I followed these directions previously when i installed my cd changer and I have one update.

The fiber ioptic cables on my car were labeled incorrectly.

I held a small flashlight to the cables at the radi and went to the trunk and matched up the lit cables. This makes sure the right cables are connected. It had me baffled for a long time until I used the flashlight.
tenaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2008
Vehicle: '04 SLK, '08 M3
Hi Guys,

I know this thread is pretty dead by now but I'm trying to fit a standard W203-salvaged CD Changer to my R170 (fitted with an Audio 10 head) and I've found the power connector on the right-hand side where it's supposed to be but the orange optical cables are on the left (the only ones I can find, that is); it's a RHD car so, did Merc by any chance switch the wires or are those part of the telephone "rigging"?

Best and thanks in advance!
P.

[Old Blacky] - '04 SLK 200K (~72k km)
[Daily Mule] - '08 E90 M3 (~112k km)

[SOLD] - '87 GTI MKII, '79 450SL, '06 A170, '07 C350.

Last edited by Shinybeef; 04-25-2012 at 10:20 AM.
Shinybeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:03 AM   #5 (permalink)
BenzWorld Extremist

I really don’t know if South Africa delivery cars are labeled the same as USA. How are your optic cables labeled? See my first post above:
Step 1: Locate the factory wiring. The cables are located behind the access panel in the passenger side of the trunk.
There are three orange fiber-optic cables. Two of the cables (labeled HU-OUT and TEL-IN) lead to one connector head,
and the third cable (labeled HU-IN) lead to another connector head. There is also a black power cable.
All cables are tie-wrapped and must be untied for the installation. (Finding the cables was the hardest part of the installation.)
Old 04-25-2012, 11:50 AM   #6 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2008
Vehicle: '04 SLK, '08 M3
Hi DecoThom,

Thanks for the reply! Basically, what I've discovered since my previous post is that the optical cable on the LHS is plugged into a little black box below the aerial (the connector features two "lights" - a red and a green one, no labeling, unfortunately). It also seems to be the only optical wire present in the boot/trunk (I will, however, untie the bundle of wires on the RHS in the hope of getting lucky)...

That said, it's quite possible that US-SLKs came with the optical wiring harness whereas Euro cars didn't (or it might have been an "option"). So, next step (following operation "unwrapping") is to remove the head unit and check for the cable - will keep you posted!

All the best,
P.
Shinybeef is offline   Reply With Quote

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R170 SLK Class