Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

left trunk lid(closed/locked) limit switch intermitant problems.

10K views 12 replies 3 participants last post by  SLKnine 
#1 ·
yes i got all the info from the tech help but, i got to thinking that maybe the left limit switch not the problem. sequence of events takes place but the trunk just doesnt open behind the drivers seat . funny thing the first time it happen a read this forum over and remember seeing something on the left side faulting/prone. anyway anyone out there with some say on this. getting hot and i need my top. plus i started taking out the plastic in the trunk to get to the left limit. o man what a pain.

#3 ·
jtsv

JTSV. thanks for the follow up. i check the link you told me to and then i went to another link within that link and got more information. i take it that the latch/lock is operated manually? i thought it was a soleniod ? funny reading up on the plastic part in the trunk is a pain. have you taken this peice out before?

#4 ·
The latch/lock is controlled by the hydraulic arm however when it is not working can be opened manually by the cable loop. I have not been able to get the plastic cover all the way off however know that the top has to be opened and stopped partially in order to move the plastic.

Still working on it yet since I first started working on it I goofed my auto lock/locking up now my locks don't work since researching I found that the locking is a vacuum line/lock that I think I just need to adjust or make sure all connected.

Haven't had time to work on it again and my wife says why not just pay to have it repaired because you have the parts and look how you messed your locks up trying to do the roof. What else will get messed up?

At a impasse with everything I PM the other guys who have taken the plastic panel off never heard how so I'm still trying.

John T.

#5 ·
sorry to hear about the vacuum lock stuff. havent heard anything about that. ya the lady can really make things worse. i one not to give up so hang in there. ya read also that you got to open it mid way and it comes out. think the bazzle guy said it QUOTE - you have to (1) fully open the boot(2) dig out the plastic side panel retainers,about 8 then shut the boot and (3) lower the roof to the point where the bot lid clear of the boot, and you'll find you can pull the internal boot side panels off! bingo all the best.... wish the big namers would get back on. as iam sure you and i both would have some questions to ask. me, i got a stack load of paper to trouble shoot the electrical. will see what happens. took the car to mechanic freind for code reading and he found none. but i think from reading not just any old code reader works. any point on that?

#6 ·
Code reader is beyond me however a friend of mine just bought a older 450SL and the code reader he bought was specifically for MB don't know if he did it by choice or because he had too.......
Everything reads one way but gets confusing with the application one link said just pull it straight up (talking about the lock and rubber seal) and I ripped the seal because it didn't pull straight up because once I found what came straight up it was a different part...... but I did buy that part as well. Problem being I haven't found a mechanic either the stealership or indi mechanic I use that can truthfully say oh I know what is wrong and it's any fix I have actually learned what to do and diagnosed the problem for them. Luckily I haven't had any major problems except being ripped off by stealership and my extended warranty coverage when I first bought the car since then I've become empowered by the forums. I bought my 1999 with 32000 in November 09 now since it's my daily driver it 47000 we had tornado's and severe storms tonight but after it all cleared I still went for a topless drive with clear blue skies.

#7 ·
happy to hear you got to cruise. well the fog is gone and the sun shine is out but i havent got the roof to work. this weekend i will try to jump out micro switch for left trunk lid lock to see what happens . seems like every one stress the fact that they go bad. funny thing out in the feild i work they hold up rather nicely. so much to say that they get used like 20 times a day and years go by wit h no problem. i dont understand why these micro switch go bad.

so do you really know what did the roof thing over for you?

#8 ·
I think people blame the micro switches most of the posts talk of testing replacing or repairing even the stealership when I showed them what my top was doing they thought it was stuck and started trying to pull it open go figure I knew it had a lock taht wouldn't allow it to open that's when I said I'll just schedule an appt.....

Then I found an indi MB mechanic who actually showed me the broken cable and how to open the roof because all switches where fine and he did this without a code reader just simple trial and error of course I had already confirmed everything from the forum's and he said I'll order the part and call you that was in Dec 09 it was winter so I didn't care but when he never called I purchased the parts from local stealership and decided if he didn't want my money fine and that is where I am...... a few guys saying cut it out with a sawsall and me just trying to remove side panel to see how and where to reconnect the new cable that's when I bumped the locking device and since have found instructions and possible fixes to the locking and just hadn't had the time my hope is to get cable replaced and repair locking device and get a Smart top controller to be able to be topless without having to manually pull the lock cable.

I've noticed best responses come from including pictures with problems so if possible add some pictures and lets see what responses you get.

John T.

#9 ·
#12 ·
well i got to the electrical at the box under the hood. found 10-3 and all that pertains to it. found #37 across from i think 17 and did the voltage check. funny thing is i understood that the trunk lock ,2 of them are in parallel not series, but the wiring diagram says its in series. naturally in series either of the limit switch fail then neither hydraulic will lift trunk. since one side hydraulics lift/open and the other side opens but doesnt lift something is not telling the hydraulics to start lifting. i used the cable to release the lock, which it did easily but the hydraulics wont allow me to pull open/ away from lock. bazzle guy said somthing like (if the micro switch fails to tell the system its ok start lifiting the trunk in reverse, the hydraulics wont do it). you follow me on this. or am i going crazy here.

#13 ·
Hi, I just got my side panel out. You have to remove the rear panel (across the back of the boot) and the boot partition completely then open the boot from the front as if the roof was closing and wooshka, out she comes. My problem is after replacing the seal in the top actuator there is power to the relay on the pump (relay tests fine) but the relay is not activated. Im guessing that after pulling the cables to manually open the boot they must need to be reset or something as the boot does not lock in at the front any more. Would this disable the system via a sensor and if so how do I fix it?
Good luck
SLKnine

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.