Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Headers For slk32

5K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  DanBH 
#1 ·
I found a pair of long tube racing headers from SuperSprint Exhaust at a great price. Is an ECU Tune necessary if I install these headers on my 02 SLK32?

#2 ·
it is most likley dependent on what other mods you have, but most long tubes req. a retune. do you really think it would benefit a slk32 by running all the longtubes into a 2.5 single inlet muffler? theres no room with out extensive underbody mods to get a true dual exhaust and theres no dual inlet /dual outlet muffler on the market that fits in the cramped 12"x 12" space available. the less than 4" space between the spare tire tub and the suspension make matters even worse

#3 ·
the only mods I have done are....Remus Exhaust, SuperSprint Y Pipe with resonator delete. I'm looking for more power and a more aggressive sound. I figured long tube headers would do both. I've always had muscle cars so this German Engineering is new to me. Should I do pulleys instead or get a ECU tune. Are you also saying that it will be difficult to install long tubes because of the limited space? These headers hook up directly to the cats.....with no downpipes or flanges.

#4 · (Edited)
its a very tight fit on the drivers side, and i dont know of anyone who actually installed long tubes on a slk32. eurocharged has a set of shortys that are the log style but larger diameter.
if you still have all 4 cats you can delete the rear cats without issue and get some more sound.
the pulley maods are a great way to get power and a full dyno tune will yoeld about 20 to 30 rwhp and almost the same in torque. were the tune excells is in the power range. my tune has 337 ft/lbs of torque from 2000 rpm to 6000. almost a flat line. its a marriage of pulleys , tunes and intakes. the sl55 intakes can give you another 15 hp or so.
just remember all this power wont do squat of you cant keep it cool. supercooler, lower tstat and seprated i/c system will keep your blower working.
lastly but maybe the most important mod is a good datalogger. cost of a new replacememnt engine is about 36k!! modding is risky but modding and racing without knowing what the engine is doing is playing with dynomite
if you go to the crosfireforum.org check the srt-6 section. this is our driveline and tons there race and mod

do you have pics of the headers? the only supersprints i could find are shortys.

#7 ·
I have a set of VRP headers that I would consider selling. These are not long tube per se, but they are not log style either. They are probably the best available on the market for the '32, adding around 20-25 HP and bolting to the factory downpipes; plus I believe Vadim gets around $1300 for them now. I will sell these for $950 FIRM. LMK...

#8 ·
There was a member on here that made a set of long tubes and I believe had Floored Fab keep the Jig.

On these motors shortys are a bit of a waste. We've installed headers from the above mentioned companies and saw gains of 10-15RWHP on fairly modified cars. All cars had pulley, intake, tune, and supporting exhaust mods.

Long tubes are the way to go and you can normally get a competent fab shop to do a set for 1300-1500. Believe me it is worth it. No reason to spend a grand on something that won't make power. Plus when you consider install is roughly 500-600, you are right at the price of custom long tubes.

#11 ·
just went thru a 23 page thread about floored fabs headers. they are shorty's no lontubes can be done due to the lack of space on the drivers side. none of the websites listed for floored fab worked so im not even sure they are still around. even so the design they had wasnt much better than the e/c set and im not crazy about those

the search continues

#12 · (Edited)
I know the thread you found and that's not the one. This one was titled something like "October projects" or something along those lines. It was a guy that made the headers. They were a modular design with 3 single pipes that converged at the bottom.

He talked about time to install, the whole fab process, everything. Damn why can't I find that thread. It was around when I first got my car in 05.

EDIT: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r170-slk-class/1341442-october-projects-6.html

I can't believe I remembered that title. I can't remember sh*t for class, but I thread a read 3 years ago is as fresh as day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.