Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

key stuck in ignition...

5K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  phastey 
#1 ·
I took my car into the dealer for a full detail on monday. They call me on tuesday and tell me the key is stuck in the ignition and will not come out. They say i may need a new ignition/key. I never had any problems with it before... has anyone ever had this issue... any suggestions or comments?

#2 ·
If you've done 100k or more, it's time to replace the barrel anyway -- the pawls wear out and there is nothing to be done except replace the barrel.

Even if the dealer could get the key out, you could find yourself stuck next week somewhere less convenient.

Has the key been hard to push in/withdraw lately? - or hard to turn occasionally?

Dealer will get a new barrel to order - takes time - (new barrel with diff key is available over the counter but only comes with 1 key - pain)

labour to replace barrel is about 1 hr -special tool req'd (some have done it if you search)

Oberoi

Attachments

#3 ·
I have like 69k on my car... they told me i need a new ignition. They told me 4-5hrs labor but they said they were going to give me a break.... it ended up being like $625 - $875 including the detail.

I honestly didnt have any problems with it before this so... who knows. I just wanted to get it taken care of quickly and since it was already at the dealer I figured they could just do it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.