Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

FUEL FILTER DIRECTION

1K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  DJC013 
#1 ·
I've gone through the treads and no one puts the direction in terms a dummy like me can understand:confused:.

In simple terms, does the fuel get filtered before it goes to the fuel pump or after it comes out of the fuel pump?

My replacement filter had an "out" and as I thought the larger line going into the fuel pump had to be from the gas tank and the metal line had to go to the engine I placed the filter in that direction. The car starts and runs but now I'm second guessing myself.

Any help?

#3 ·
Thanks for the response.

I figured that the "out" was to the engine, the pump and the filter are lined up length wise across the car. Since I failed to check before removing the old filter, I had to guess the direction. It wasn't clear to me which was the line from the gas tank and which was the line to the engine. The fuel pump had a fat line leading into the pump and then a small line into the filter. I assumed that the fat line was from the gas tank. On the other side of the filter a thin rubber hose let to a metal line which I assumed was to the engine compartment. In the middle of the night I came to the same thought you had which is that the filter should probable protect the pump as well and now I'm facing turning the thing around. I just want to make sure before I end up having to do this a third time.

#5 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.