Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Steering play. It always pull left and right. I feel very danger

3K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  JimSharp39 
#1 ·
I had replaced the link drag, steering damper, front wheel bearing, lower arm bush and lower ball joint. But the status does not improve. What happen in my car?:crybaby2:

#9 ·
Hello, I hope this does not sound rude but, I would get the car looked at to see if anything serious is wrong first. It would also make sense to replace one thing at a time and see if that solves the issue, if you change lots of parts it can be difficult to trace what was actually wrong, regards Damian. :)

PS - No offence intended :)

#8 ·
You may have what is called "tram lining"; it is caused by some tires more than others. If the car runs straight on good flat (not "crowned") roads this may be your problem.

If your tires get into even SLIGHT ruts in the road the car will take off in one direction or another for no apparent reason, that is what "tram lining" does.

At 90,000 km, the car is just getting worn in, we have cars here that have well over 100,000 miles with little or no suspension problems... :)

#10 ·
+1 on that. On my SLK with the much softer winter tires it is no problem. With the stiffer and more aggressive summer tires it is "hang on with both hands" on rutted roads.

#11 ·
And if you have wider tires than the factory recommended size at the front, it is virtually guaranteed to tramline.
But also check the steering damper. It's the little shock absorber on the steering arm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.