Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

getting a used SLK320

2K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  jonfong 
#1 ·
long story short. i live in california and because of the harsh rain this past week my car got flooded so i have to buy a new one.

i found a 2001 SLK320 with 42k miles on it for just under $10k. the guy selling it said it's under Kelly Blue Book price because of financial need. I need a car sooner than later because i dont have a working car now. Im going to check out the car this monday or tuesday and would like to know a few things going in to this purchase.

1. what are the most common failures on the SLK320?
2. what are the repair costs like for the (most common) failures?
3. what things should i keep my eye out for when seeing this car for the first time?
4. should i take it to a mercedes dealership for a Pre-purchase inspection or will any AAA-approved car shop pre-purchase inspection do?
5. and last... any other information or advice you can give to me before checking out this car.

I definitely appreciate any feedback. I hope to be joining the benz club soon!

#6 ·
Hi Jonfong,

Hope you find a good SLK. I was in socal for 5 years. A manual is just a royal pain in that traffic. I agree with the automatic transmission desire. Mercedes makes great automatics. My old Porsche 928 has a Mercedes auto. My SLK 5 speed auto is a dream to drive. You just bump it a couple of times to downshift for fun cornering. Get out in the Malibu mountains or Mulhulland drive for some fun curves.

I don’t know about 320 issues. I like the power of the 320 over the 230. However, I like the power of the SLK32 AMG even more – quantum leap. My 230 has plenty of power and fun for the occasional spirited ride.

Get a PPI (Pre Purchase Inspection) – the MB dealer should do a good job. But, there are other good inspection services available. Research them a bit first.

HTH

#7 ·
The 320 engine is definitely more reliable than the 230 kompressor. Only common problem is superficial oil leaks on the breather covers at about 80,000 miles. Cheap job if you DYI (no gaskets, just gasketmaker from a tube and probably the reason it starts leaking. :crybaby2: )

Also check if the recall was done for the harmonic balancer. (some 2000 - 2001 models affected).

#9 · (Edited)
i'll definitely get the maintenence history if it's available. thank you guys so much for all the advice and input! im hoping that there's no major problems with it when i go check it out this coming monday/tuesday.

another question though for the Harmonic Balancer as well as the Tail Light recalls. if one OR both of them were not replacedfixed after the recall, would i still be able to go into a MB dealership and get them replaced free of charge?

#10 ·
Any official recalls will be done by any Mercedes dealer at no cost to do. If you get the car, call 800-FOR-MERC(EDES) and register the car with them. They can tell you if any recalls are open as can any dealer. You may also be able to get the VMI from a cooperative dealer. That will show every warranty repair ever done on the car and since routine maintenance was included as a warranty item on that car, all of the maintenance for the first four years will be included, assuming it was done at the dealer.

#11 ·
The potential of the 230 is greater... because it is faster than the 320 after the pulley upgrade. (about $700.00).

People on this forum and myself try to maximize the 230 engine to its max potential daily. We also have the C230 guys who also believe the same way about the C320. After a couple of simple mods the 230 becomes a more fun and faster engine. 230 engines are also easier to maintain being a 4 cylinder vs. a V6 (think valve, head gaskets, and sparkplugs.

There is no proof that the 320 engine is more reliable than the 230 engine, they are all very strong engines that have gotten high mileages while still running strong. In fact, the 230 probably costs less in the long run. Supercharger can be found on ebay for cheap, and the engine is pretty bulletproof. I have the pulley for 60k+ miles and its still running beautifully.

I think if you dont have the money for a 32... get the 230. You will definitely enjoy it more and the knowledge on the engine is amazing on this forum.

If you need a mechanic to check it out. Check out Star Auto Clinic in Rowland Heights, CA. They have been servicing all my families MBz for years. They can do a great pre-inspection. I live in Irvine and Westwood but still go to those guys.

#12 · (Edited)
There is no proof that the 320 engine is more reliable than the 230 engine, they are all very strong engines that have gotten high mileages while still running strong. In fact, the 230 probably costs less in the long run. .
Sufficient proof in just looking at this forum. Kompressor not switching on, oil separators disintegrating, oil contamination of MAF,oil contamination of intercooler,peeling paint on valve cover, bad K40. etc. But then, maybe all 320 drivers are old fogies just idling along. :)

Actually, the 320 probably cost less in the long run. FSS oil changes every 10,000 to 15,000 miles, plug changes only every 100,000 miles. Even the MAF is cheaper, since you can buy just the insert. And you get xenon lights, heated seats and woodgrain all included. And even a aluminum door sill panel claiming V6. ;) And you get a modern engine, from variable intake lengths to variable spark plug firing sequence for each of the 2 plugs at each cylinder!

I agreed that in this forum very few 320 owners (myself included) see any need to increase performance. But if the itch is really there, all you need to do is to check the Crossfire forum. Same car basically except for sheet-metal. And those guys have no qualms or problems in tuning the 320 engine.

#14 · (Edited)
Well, I run circles around my friends C320 =) *shrugs* but I do have more mods than just a pulley I suppose. *wink*

I just know that I don't like working with v6s so I might have a bias (I come from FI Honda Civic SI background). But pullied 230s are everywhere... and the engine seems very strong.

Its true, small things here and there bother us, but all very cheap and easy to fix. MAF sensors can be bought by the sensor from germanstar.net. Also supercharger takes like literally 20 minutes to remove and replace once you get the hang of it... an hour max the first time around. Don't worry about that supercharger... if it goes out you can find plenty of rebuilds for great prices around.

Nothing beats the howl of a pullyed SLK230... with an Eisennmann or even a Magnaflow. My .02 cents =)

Also my 98 has heated seats from the factory, and woodgrain although nice is not for everyone =).

It was 50k miles when I got it. Paid 8,900 for it two years ago!!!

Compare to a 320 that costs about 9000-11,000 today for high mileage one. You can find 230s for about 4000-7000!!! Trust me I just saw a decent 230 go for 3900 around here. We're talking Southern California here (where OP is from), we don't really have rust or salt issues like other parts of the world... With all that money saved... RIEGER body kit, pulley, 18" AMG rims, new Suspension/lowering springs, exhaust, air intake upgrade, sprintbooster, amg lip spoiler, projectors w/ xenon.

I did all the above mods and more for about what I would have paid for 320 when I first started out. Granted the mods and modifying is not for everyone... but I'd say so myself I got wayyy more utility for my money from the 230 IMO.

I am not hating on the 320, just giving my opinion so the guy can make a more "informed" decision.

#15 ·
Well, I run circles around my friends C320 =) *shrugs*
lol a stock SLK230 will run rings around a C320 anyway so probably not a very reliable comparison :)

And I agree 230s can be cheaper than 320s but that’s because they have been around longer so those are bound to be cheaper (in USA and UK at least). Looking at Kelley BB (USA) and Parkers (UK) a 320 of the same age, spec and mileage is roughly the same as the 230 (I know that this is not the case worldwide though).

2001 SLK Private sale, excellent condition 42k miles
Kelleys
230 $12000
320 $11825 (yup, cheaper than a 230, ive checked it twice)

Parkers
230 £7085 (80k miles)
320 £7455 (80k miles)

Therefore I can’t understand the logic, financially that is, of why someone wanting an SLK with the slight performance advantage that the 320 has over the 230 would buy a 230 for the same price and then extra on a pully etc. but I can fully appreciate why someone who already has a 230 would over time want to tune it and generally tinker with the way it drives (look at the things Steve Johnson was doing to his makes you realise the potential of that engine but in his own admission is a very costly exercise, but he was doing it for the thrill of it - where is the grumpy ol’ duke these days anyway:D??)

So if there were identical 230 and a 320 for sale, same price mileage age etc either would be a fun purchase but personally I would say the 320 is the better buy if you want a quick stock car and don’t think you will want to tune it in the future, the 230 good if you are into tuning, but then why not just spend the extra cash and get a 32!!! (and then spend more money tuning it lol)

#17 ·
thanks to everyone for their replies. Ive found a lot of insight from all of your advice. The car i was looking at had a few problems that i did not want to deal with so i passed on it.

Ive actually looked online for the SLK32 AMG and ive found a couple that I would like to get however it's a bit out of my price range so i might have to stick with the 320.

Im not much of a tuner or enthusiast so i probably wouldnt mod the 230 if i were to get that. now it's a choice between the 320 and the 32... $7k difference between the two :confused: so im not sure what im going to do. lets hope i can sell a kidney to someone for $7k to make this choice a lot easier :rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.