Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Bruce and Ellen.... How'd the concours go?

525 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  LN 32 
#1 ·
[No message]

#2 ·
Nice day, beautiful weather, and added another trophy to the wall.

There was a brand new (2 weeks out of the showroom) SL55 that was getting lots of attention. Beautiful car!

Lots of Porsches, BMWs and Mercedes (of course!). Although rain threatened early, it held out for a nice day.

(We need to get more SLKs out for the event so they give us our own class and don't lump us in with all the SLs. It makes for tough competition when you're judged against cars that have really high mileage (or ones that are brand new) given the way the rules work.)

Sharkey wasn't happy that I had to remove him from his antenna pedestal so he wouldn't count against me as a 'mod.' [;)]

#3 ·
I was VERY dis satisfied with the judging, some of the worst I have ever seen........

The only excuse I can see, or make is that all ALL the judges were new to the game.
Good cars were blown out of the water and shakey cars were given a pass. [:(]
Points were actually taken off for Mercedes valve stem caps, and a leaf that was blown onto a car after judgeing was started![B)] While in at another case drilled holes were found in a bulkhead, in a clear and visible location, and no points were removed.[xx(]
There were cases of bias that were blatant and obvious, stuff that shouldn't have happened at even a local event such as the Deutche Marque.[:(!]
I was the Chief Judge so I can say all the above without concern for repercussions.[:p]
Things will get better though, that I can promise.[}:)]

#4 ·
I saw a blue SLK driveing out of the show, anybody here?

#5 ·
Youch. I didn't even see my score sheet ...

so I didn't realize I'd be getting points off for the valve stem caps. Guess I'll switch to the OEM next time. [xx(] I did think it was poorly handled from the standpoint of having the judges coming back to 'revisit' my car four or five times after they supposedly had turned in the scoring. I did, though, have a number of people come up to me saying, "You was robbed!!! [:0]" for only taking third place. That said, the judges tried to do a thorough job, but it's hard for them to know what's OEM and what's not, and to ensure they're consistent in the judging across ALL cars. (With mine it seemed that they went deeper and deeper into the engine compartment just trying to come up with a smudged finger tip. Somehow I doubt they did that to all the cars. Then again, I doubt many people removed their engine pans and cleaned the engine and undercarriage like we did just for 'street class' [;)]).

All in all, I thought the event was fun, but I'd like to see the club spring for more plaques so more people can go home with something to show for all of their hard work.

(I thought we'd place better than we did, but it's hard to beat a brand new SL55 with just about no miles on it. [;)] )

#6 ·
Just realized: Good thing I removed Sharkey ....

Wonder how many points I would have lost for my antenna ball. [:eek:)]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.