Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Noticeable difference in the various Mobil 1 viscosities?

938 views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Norb 
#1 ·
Can't seem to find 0W40 locally, but can get 15W50, and the warehouse club has 5W30 and 10W40 (or is it 10W30 and 5W40?) cheap. Does it really matter which one? I'm starting to think about going back to regular oil and just changing it more often. I think my '98 SLK230 with 25K ran better back then anyway...
Where can I get one of those gadgets to extract oil from the top? Thanks, Jack.

#2 ·
Where can I get one of those gadgets to extract oil from the top? Thanks, Jack.
Usually marine supply stores have them ($20 to $40), since, that is the only way to do an oil change for boats with motors. Or you can buy the official MB "Pneumatic Oil Suction Unit Model 1.38 69 50.3" for $3,200.00. Yes I also think if you change your oil every 3000 miles or so the synthetic oil is a waste of money.

#3 ·
As far as I know, the only place that sells Mobil 1 0W-40 other than Mercedes and Porsch...

As far as I know, the only place that sells Mobil 1 0W-40 other than Mercedes and Porsche dealers is AutoZone. It's $5/quart at AutoZone vs. $7-$9 at M-B or Porsche dealers.

If you can't get Mobil 1 0W-40, then I would recommend Mobil 1 5W-30.

You can buy oil change pumps/oil extractors from a local marine supply store or from an online marine supply store like overtons.com or boatus.com.

#4 ·
I wouldn't go back to dino juice if I were you ....

The characteristics of the new synthetics (detergents, suspension, anti-oxidants, etc.) are much superior.

0W40 can be found at more and more auto shops, plus it can be purchased online at several Yahoo stores. I can buy it locally here in VA from a shop that does work on performance cars.

#6 ·
Ummm, do you have a lift in your garage? We do, but .....

if you don't, you'll probably find draining more on the cumbersome side. [8D] (Especially since you don't have to go underneath for the filter.)

#7 ·
Brian did a test and he actually got more out of sucking than draining. MBs were made to be sucked.

My salesman says that they suck it out at the dealership.

#8 ·
Pardon my impudence, but.....

....was that last statement of yours anything similar to what actor Hugh Grant claimed so he'd get "serviced" by Divine Brown inside his MB on a Hollywood side street?

[:0][:p][:eek:)]

Sorry, couldn't resist it! A thousand pardons and ten lashes with a wet tea bag!

#9 ·
Oil extractor

I purchased the Liquid-Vav on Ebay for $26.00 + a few dollars shipping. It's the green plastic one, and so far I'm very satisfied. Important to warm the oil first to save time though. I also have an SLK 230, I use 5-50w Castrol synthetic as it was readily available. I use synthetic in all my cars and still change more often than recommended by the maker, it's cheap insurance for the additional protection the synthetic provides. After all your drive a great Benz,why not protect it!
Good luck
[:)]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.