Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Anybody race a Firehawk?

587 views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  Shane 
G
#1 ·
Results? (The Firehawk is an SLP modified Pontiac Trans Am - LS-1 ~335-350HP)

#2 ·
Of course...

I don't know the gentleman I raced, nor what bolt on mods he had to his car but he obviously had no nitrous, and no internal modifications as the firehawk was nice and quiet except for a borla exhaust. We raced from 25mph to 120mph. He lost big time. I really like Firehawks, but the extra horsepower they advertise isn't nearly enough as a stock six speed vette will still beat it as well. A Z06 will make the firehawk look like it is going in reverse.

#5 ·
Re: yes.

considering how bad I beat it, a stock slk32 would dominate it as well. The best indication of how fast a car really is is to look at the quarter mile trap speed.
I had a 2001 Pontiac Trans AM WS6. With 600 miles on the odometer, it ran 12.76@110.05 1.92 60'. It was difficult to launch the car at the strip, so achieving those times isn't normal, IMO. Most experienced drag racers can push the car into the 12s, where less experienced drivers are stuck in the 13s (or 14s, ack!).

From a roll, the launch doesn't matter as much. I have raced and beaten '98+ Trans AMs/Z28s in my SLK32, but I suspect the reason the races weren't closer was that the other driver didn't have a lot of experience [:D]

My point? I guess it's that the cars are potentially as fast or faster than your average SLK32, but since the SLK32 is so easy to drive you'll beat them more often than not [:eek:)]

#6 ·
That is a very good trap speed for a stock RA T/A.

I owned a fully optioned '00 ram air t/a and ran a 12.9 myself while still using the clutch. My car was totally stock and had around 2k miles on it. Great car for the money. The problem is, a highway speeds it was less competitive due mainly to blunt aerodynamics and less than ideal gearing in the tranny. As you know 5th gear in f bodies is too deep and just about anything can pass you up once you slip into it in a competitive race.

#7 ·
Re: That is a very good trap speed for a stock RA T/A.

I owned a fully optioned '00 ram air t/a and ran a 12.9 myself while still using the clutch. My car was totally stock and had around 2k miles on it. Great car for the money. The problem is, a highway speeds it was less competitive due mainly to blunt aerodynamics and less than ideal gearing in the tranny. As you know 5th gear in f bodies is too deep and just about anything can pass you up once you slip into it in a competitive race.
Good point. With the power of the stock LS1, you lose a lot once you hit 5th gear. But 4th gets you a little more than 130mph with stock gearing and I usually don't race too high on the street. Save it for the track [;)]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.