Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Instrument lights

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  jay (new jersey) 
#1 ·
Having become an 'expert' on heater control illumination as well as corroded brake lights, I now have an intermittent failure of the illumination behing the fuel guage and half of the adjacent [Speedo?]dial. A good thump of the dashboard offers a short-term fix!

Has anyone replaced this lamp, or is the one task for the dealer? Advice please

Thanks in anticipation, Owen

#4 ·
I know my allu centre console pops out in 2 sections (at the ridge underneath the radio)...

I know my allu centre console pops out in 2 sections (at the ridge underneath the radio) I saw it happen when my radio was fitted (almost had kittens!) so I guess heater lamps can be replaced fairly easily that way.

#5 ·
its not too hard

I actually had a light out on my instrument panel too. I took it apart this weekend without much of a problem. Don't need to take off the steering wheel or anything. no hidden screws, its pretty simple and straigt forward. But in the end i took out the bulb and realized its not loose but blown so i'll have to order 2 osram 12v 1.5w bulbs from the dealer. Hopefully they have it. Had to reassemble everything and probably disassemble it again next weekend to put in the new bulbs. I hope the dealer has it in stock.

#6 ·
NOT A TERRIBLY DIFFICULT JOB

I had my dash out a while back.
The good news is the the steering wheel does not have to be removed.

If I remember correctly, first you remove the screw from the left vent(located at the top of the vent)

Next you remove the screws for the cover below the steering wheel.

I believe there is a panel near the ignition that also pulls off. I will have to look at my car again to refresh my memory.

At any rate, the face on the dash pulls off, and the instrument cluster is held on by 4 bolts.

You disconnect the two wire harnesses at the back of the cluster.
Finally you rotate the steering wheel 180 degrees to give you enough room to remove the dash.

The job will take about 1 hour if you take your time.

If you decide you want to tackle the job, I can get you better instructions when I have the car in front of me.

#7 ·
i have the same problem going on in my slk right now...

half of my instrument panel i...

i have the same problem going on in my slk right now...

half of my instrument panel is illuminated while the other half is dull... similarly,, i have no illumination behing my AC controls !!!

on another note,, i dont know what the problem is,, but my headlight bulbs keep burning out about once every 2 weeks.. wtf??? they are regular bulbs,, not aftermarket xenon type stuff either!

#9 ·
Jay, The a/c buttons are lit by the bulbs behind the fan and heat controls, if I remembe...

Jay, The a/c buttons are lit by the bulbs behind the fan and heat controls, if I remember correctly, [by means of some plastic prisms, I think]. To remove the knobs, I suggest you pull them straight off with some fibre-jawed grips [or pliers with masking tape over the jaws]. The tiny bulbs are hidden by
behind flexible vinyl filters and small plastic prisms. With care, the bulbs can be changed with the aid of pointed nosed pliers which I suggest are covered with double-sided adhesive tape.

Fiddly to do, but with care, should prove to be no problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.