Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Wheel Cleaner

2K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  Russ-DC 
#1 ·
Dealer is 50 miles away each way, any wheel cleaner that is comparable to MB cleaner. 2003 SLK 230.

#2 ·
Dealer is 50 miles away each way, any wheel cleaner that is comparable to MB cleaner. 2003 SLK 230.
I understand that the MB cleaner is Meguiars Hot Rims All Wheel Cleaner. MB seem to have approved all Meguiars products now and that is certainly what you get at the MB dealers in the UK. I bought mine direct from Meguiars though.

#3 ·
Try car wash soap and water it works great if you don't let the brake dust bake on.....

Wipe the wheels down at least twice a month and you should be OK. Wax the wheels when you wax the car and the dust has a harder time sticking to the wheels as well.

#4 ·
Yes, the pink bottle Meguiar's wheel cleaner is what I used when I finished the MB cleaner...

Yes, the pink bottle Meguiar's wheel cleaner is what I used when I finished the MB cleaner. Certainly a lot cheaper than the MB branded cleaner, and works very well.

I can also recommend what Bruce recommended below. Waxing the wheels helps a lot to make cleaning easier.

#8 ·
I just use my car wash solution, wheels are the last to be cleaned. I have used....

the spray on wheel cleaner to clean out the bolt holes. I think the brand is Castrol. But they should all work the same.

#9 ·
No Norb, you need the soap to cut down the damage the water does to the paint....

#11 ·
Mothers

As far as car care products I love Mothers. I didn't clean my wheels very well for a couple of winter months. Even thought I drove it every day the wheels never looked too bad. I cleaned the car every week or two and got rid of most of the dirt. Last week I was detailing my car and I used mothers chrome polish. And it worked great. It took some scrubbing but in short order the wheels looked brand new.

#12 ·
Re: How about a squirt of Windex? Any problem with that?

Windex with amonia will dull the wheels. I don't have to clean my wheels, the dealer does it for me every week. Get aftermarket pads like Pagid or Porterfield and you won't have that much dust...

#14 ·
YES. I work for the water company, and I buy bottled water, even for the dish washer.....

Just kidding, this goes a long way back..........

#15 ·
The OEM 32 wheels are clear coated. Shouldn't be a problem at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.