Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Removing Heat Knobs in 99 SLK? STUPID CUP HOLDERS

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  lbw 
#1 ·
The stupid cup holder design lets condensation drip down onto the heater knobs and radio. I recently had a soda and didn't realize it was dripping and i cought it just in time but some had dripped into my left heater knob. It now sticks a bit so I was wondering how can I get it off to clean out behind it?

Thanks
-Chris

#2 ·
heater knobs

The knobs simply pull off, but are quite firmly located. My suggestion is to use either fibre-jawed grips or pliers that have the jaws wrapped in several layers of, say, masking tape. This prevents scrathing them. The bits inside are very delicate so clean them carefully. Make sure you replace the know in exactly the same rotation, e,g, the 'off' position

#3 ·
heater knobs

PS, I agree the cupholders are is a stupid place, which is why I opted for a sunglasses tray instead. I suggest you keep all drinks well away from the entire console, since previous posts have spoken of several hundred dollar bills for spillages that have ruined the gear lever sensors and stuff related to automatic gearbox operation. Thats in addition to possible damage to hifi / phone / heater / ancillary switches.

#4 ·
Re: heater knobs

PS, I agree the cupholders are is a stupid place, which is why I opted for a sunglasses tray instead. I
I agree. I have the tray option and I find its
pretty useful for keeping small items like my
fuel card, etc.

I hate to say it, but as a policy drinks aren't
allowed to make it into my car.

Keep your drinks in the centre console or between
your knees!

#6 ·
Tray

I do not have a picture of my tray. Just imagine a shallow tray, [roughly 5 inches wide, 4 inches front-to-back and 1 inch deep with a rubberised lining. It was a no cost option [called a sunglasses holder]when I ordered my car. Your sunglasses need to be VERY slim to fit [or sat on by a fat friend!]. Mine are rimless and JUST fit!

#9 ·
My 2003 that I got last week has one fitted !

No demand for cup holders in the UK as you'll get booked if the cops see you drinking whilst driving.

#12 ·
Here are the part numbers from a search I made.

Sunglasses Holder: A 170 680 12 52
Front cover: A 170 680 04 98

You don't have to buy a new front cover. You can remove the cover from the sunglasses holder and put it on the cup holder.

The dimensions of the tray are: 5 7/8 wide, 3 3/4 deep, 7/8 high.

I have to warn you though. The sunglasses holder is not very deep, so your sunglasses must fold up to a very low profile in order to use it. I can measure it and tell you exactly how thin if you like.

(note these are all quotes from Brian)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.