Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Class Action Lawsuit due to AMG wheels/sport package.

6K views 21 replies 16 participants last post by  430 
#1 ·
I just received a class action lawsuit info....

"The lawsuit originally brought by plaintiffs Jeffrey Schnipper, Sheldon Schiff, David Wolfson and Todd Semon, claims that Mercedes-Benz engaged in unlawful conduct in connection with the marketing, sale, and lease of all Mercedes-Benz automobiles equipped with high performance/low profile tires mounted on AMG wheels and rims ("the Performance Package") (a) by falsely advertising and misrepresenting the safety of Mercedes-Benz automobiles and the durability and safety of the Performance Package on Mercedes-Benz automobiles, and (b) by failing to disclose the material fact that Mercedes-Benz automobiles equipped with the Performance Package suffer tire failure and/or damaged rims under routine driving conditions, leading to dangerous situations and costly repairs (the "Action")."

Apparently a NY, NJ, CT lawsuit.

Sounds like a load of crap to me. Some drivers likely hit some serious potholes and are blaming Mercedes. Anyone ever experience a dangerous failure under *normal* driving conditions?

#2 ·
I'm with you...

The tires on the sport packages aren't that low profile considering all of the sport package rims are either 17" or 18". Now if MB was selling production cars with 30 series tires that'd be a different story... Someone on the MBWorld.org boards sued the City of New York for pot holes ruining 2 of his rims / tires and was promptly reimbursed for the cost of the rims and tires.

I agree though, it'd take a pretty massive pothole (at a considerably high speed) to cause a serious / dangerous failure with 17"/18" rims.

#3 ·
Seems like the lawyers will walk away the winners and we'll be stuck paying even more for MB

The Performance Package does seem a bit overstated though. We all know just some different body cladding and some lower-profile tires. Not really 'performance' in my mind. I wish it had a HP boost, and some extra tuning.... My only complaint about the wheels is I clipped a curb and my rim is a little scuffed..... But this seems my mistake, not MB's...... On rare occations my michillens would need extra air -- by my Kuhmo's haven't needed a single puff of air since last fall.

#4 ·
Low profile tires, etc.

I've read several complaints on forums like this from people that damaged a wheel and/or tire by hitting a pothole, curb, or road debris.

Although I doubt any of them would ever admit it, I think that 99 out of 100 are people that just don't regularly check the air pressure in their tires.

#5 ·
Yep. What a crock.

#9 ·
Reminds me of the Eagle's song "Get Over It" [:D]

Reminds me of that McD's lawsuit. W...

Reminds me of the Eagle's song "Get Over It" [:D]

Reminds me of that McD's lawsuit. Well, we're in the right country for this kind of stuff, unfortunately.[:p]

#10 ·
About that McDonald's lawsuit...

I presume you are talking about either the "fat" one or the "hot coffee" one. "Fat" was thrown out by the
judge for being absurd. "Coffee" was appealled until the claimant finally got a grand total of 120k dollars to cover her 80k medical bills and the first and second degree burns she received in her vagina that took plastic surgery to correct.

The MEDIA NEVER GIVES YOU THE FULL STORY. Dig deep and find the facts on your own.

#11 ·
I was talking about the most recent "fat" lawsuit. I am aware that it was thrown out of c...

I was talking about the most recent "fat" lawsuit. I am aware that it was thrown out of court.

I never mentioned anything about the media nor digging deep but thanks for the tip, oh omniscient one.

#12 ·
You know how many Hon-Duhs I saw with busted tires...

I agree though, it'd take a pretty massive pothole (at a considerably high speed) to cause a serious / dangerous failure with 17"/18" rims.
You know how many Hon-Duhs I saw with busted tires and rims after all the snow this winter some on 13" steel rims and some on 16" Alloys so I wouldn't be blaming MB.

NP

#14 ·
I think this is a crock. Perhaps they changed the name of the package, but I always remem...

I think this is a crock. Perhaps they changed the name of the package, but I always remember it being touted as a 'sport package'. Lower profile tires would be more sporty - IMO

Also, if 'you' choose to have lower profile tires, by selecting the sport/performance package, you should know what might happen. I guess customers will have to sign a waiver or some crap after this suit.

BTW - I hope I get my $5 from the record companies[:D]

#15 ·
I had a really nasty tire failure at high speed, sidewall totally separated from tread, etc.

But, along the lines of what everyone was saying here, I think it was mostly my fault. That was a really cold night and I am pretty sure the tire was underpressured. The nature of the low-profile tire I think makes it much less forgiving to improper tire pressure.

#16 ·
These kind of lawsuites are a sad thing for all Mercedes enthusiasts.
The U.S. product warranty laws were one reason for DC only to offer two designo packages instead of the whole designo product line. It is the same for several special AMG items.

If people like them win their lawsuites DC maybe won't offer low profile tires and bigger wheels on U.S. delivery car one day.

just my 2 cents.

Tim

#19 ·
Lexus after introduction of the IS300 begin putting stickers on the window

which stated the 17" speed rated tires would wear out faster than regular tires. Customers were expecting the same mileage on these cars as the other Lexus models.

#21 ·
5 tires and 5 broken rims in i year

I have a 2013 S550 Sport with 20 inch AMG wheels.
I have been to the tire store over 20 times. I have been stranded on the side of the road.
Mercedes took my $100,000 but do not stand by their errors or mistakes.
This is a huge problem.
Can someone help me. I also want to sue.
This is wrong.

Anyone else find a fix?

#22 ·
Did you happen to notice you replied to an 11 year old thread and that it is not even the correct car you are responding to?

If you have really been to the tire store so often and had so many issues why don't you simply purchase a new set of wheels? Then you can get around "safely" and worry about who you might be able to sue later.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.