UK.Oil change SLK200....? - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R170 SLK Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2009, 04:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2009
UK.Oil change SLK200....?

Hi all,

I have had my car about a year and its due an oil change or A service as MB call it.

For our US friends, I already had one quote from my local MB dealer of £200 or $318.

Incidentally,5 Litres of Mobil 1 0-40 recommended oil costs around £38 or $60 here!

In these troubled times,one has to economise so i am thinking i could get my driver to do it.

Is a special tool required for the oil filter or is it just socketed?

If i buy a new oil filter from M B,will i get all the necessary bits i.e new O ring and sump plug washer?

Can anyone give a step by step guide? At the moment i cant actually see where the filter or sump plug is !

Does anyone have any torque settings for filter and sump plug?

Thank you

Penelope & Parker
Lady_Penelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2009, 08:28 AM   #2 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 1991 300CE, a work in progress.
Oil changes are easy, take a look here:

SLK V6 oil change

This is for the 320, but the process is very similar (see the bottom most photo.). You can drain from the drain plug underneath, but if plan on doing this all the time, you will want to consider an oil sucker of some sort.
The plug is on the oil sump, and you have to remove the lower engine cover, (four screws).

Seals and gaskets come with a Mercedes filter, no worries there.

A special filter tool is very handy, but it can be removed with a strap wrench if you are CAREFUL.

Don't know what the torque numbers are, I always just make them tight, but I have been doing that for over 40 years, so be careful, the pan is only aluminum and will strip easily. (This is also why it's easier to suck the oil out from the top.)The filter has an O-ring so bottomed out, and snug is tight enough.

"They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?"
Paul Harvey 8/31/94

"The only people who have quick answers don't have the responsibility of making the decisions."
Justice Clarence Thomas
Bruce R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 01:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2008
Vehicle: 98 SLK 230
Depends on which oil filter cap that you have, there are two different types. One has a hex on top in which case you will need a 27mm nut. The other doesn't have a hex and for that you need a special MB filter tool. A strap wrench will work as said before, just be careful that you don't slip up; the wrench has a tendency to slip off or worse damage the filter cap. As to torque ratings, 25 Nm is the oil filter cap and recommended is 25 Nm for the drain plug, but most set that at 30 Nm or just know by feel when its tight.

Oh and as to what Bruce R. said about sucking the oil out from up above. This is recommended by MB but it is not a better way. Reason it is done is to save on the labor hours for an oil change, yes MB wants things done quick. Really though pulling the drain plug is better though because you will get more of the old oil out than you would by sucking it up from the dip stick tube.
twitch_de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 01:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 1991 300CE, a work in progress.
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitch_de View Post
Oh and as to what Bruce R. said about sucking the oil out from up above. This is recommended by MB but it is not a better way. Reason it is done is to save on the labor hours for an oil change, yes MB wants things done quick. Really though pulling the drain plug is better though because you will get more of the old oil out than you would by sucking it up from the dip stick tube.
We did some testing here to prove that one way or the other a few years back, and sucking the oil out actually got about 1 or 2 more ounces of oil out than draining from the plug.
Brian_R170 pulled the plug and drained into a pan, when the oil stopped he was able to draw the extra oil out of the dipstick tube.
Either way works well enough so that it doesn't matter enough to count...
Bruce R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 02:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2008
Vehicle: 98 SLK 230
Yea depends on the car, for instance by the A Klasse, you get more out from draining than from sucking. But as I say its dependent on the car, it has to with the location of the dipstick tube itself. Some will sit perfect above the lowest point in the oil pan and others will sit further up meaning you get less out than.
twitch_de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 09:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2008
Vehicle: 2002 SLK 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitch_de View Post
Yea depends on the car, for instance by the A Klasse, you get more out from draining than from sucking .
The original question was about a SLK200; debating the merits on any other vehicle is a bit pointless here.

The oil filter wrench should be a 76mm 14 flats, 25Nm is a suitable torque.
The filter will have all the o-rings/bits you need.

The oil is better sucked out through the dipstick hole with a PELA pump or similar. If you live near Tamworth then pop over & I'll do it for you & show you how easy it is.

RH
Rovinghawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R170 SLK Class