Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Roof problem trunk help

12K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  wilsophia 
#1 · (Edited)
1999 Slk 230 I have been driving with my top up/down everyday until this week. I opened top with out any problems 4 times in a row through out the day and when I went to put down after an errand it wouldn't work.

I went to put my roof down and the boot seemed to get stuck on the drivers side. Passenger side of the boot raised up about 1" but the driver's side didn't move, I first tred to gently pull it to see if it was caught on something but that didn't work. I went to the dealership to see if my rep knew of a common problem and he tried to pull it up? Then he said it would need diagnostics to see what the problem was?

I've seen questions like this however can not get any clear idea of what the cause is and how to fix. I'm not mechanically incline however from seeing all the discussion regarding this believe I can fix it if I can figure out what to do.

Thanks for any help,

John T.

#2 ·
There is a manual release for the boot to raise so the top can be raised and lowered. By manually releasing the boot, you should be able to figure out if the problem is mechanical(stuck or jammed) or electrical (not releasing properly so the boot will raise).

There are probably others on the forum who might have more detailed instructions.

#6 · (Edited)
I went to put my roof down and the boot seemed to get stuck on the drivers side. Passenger side of the boot raised up about 1" but the driver's side didn't move, I first tried to gently pull it to see if it was caught on something but that didn't work. I went to the dealership to see if my rep knew of a common problem and he tried to pull it up? Then he said it would need diagnostics to see what the problem was?

Driver side

Passenger side

I've seen questions like this however can not get any clear idea of what the cause is and how to fix. I'm not mechanically incline however from seeing all the discussion regarding this believe I can fix it if I can figure out what to do.

I have since figured it might not be a micro switch I have pictures showing the right & left side of trunk and notice on the inside that the rocker arm on the left driver side doesn't raise up like the right side? I tried to remove the plastic case and can not get it removed to see further anyone with any ideas?

Thanks for any help,

John T.

Attachments

#14 ·
seems the rocker can be unlock at both side, i suggest to check the trunk cylinder if there is any oil leak, or check up the oil level at the oil pump, which inside the cover at the RHS of the inside the trunk.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.