SLK200-roof not working.. - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R170 SLK Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2009, 06:10 AM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2009
SLK200-roof not working..

Hi, I have an slk200 R170 2004 model. Last of the old shape. Its in top condition and low miles.

Anyway the roof stopped working suddenly.

When operating button,red light flashes,motor can be heard running,nothing happens. Roller in trunk is in position.

Pulled off access cover to hydraulic pump,oil level ok. Decided to do electrical check on roller switch. Is is closed or open when blind is in place?

Located two wires to it one brown/one grey. Suspect they run through the terminal block fixed adjacent to the hydraulic pump. Disconnected upper block,tested across grey and brown,shows continuity with switch not depressed. Depressed switch,no change..but do i have the right wires?

how do i remove the roller swtich for closer examination?

also noted that in car courtesy light doesnt go off when i shut the door . checked door switches and they pop in and out ok. Next step will be to electrically check them.

read somewhere of a boot lock microswitch. Where does this live? Presumably it inhibits roof operation if boot lids is open? I wonder, does the courtesy light up front come on if you open the boot? Maybe there is a link between my roof problem and the courtesy light?

Further to this,i also note that the trunk courtesy light doesnt work. I checked the bulb and thats fine. I measured +12v on each terminal with the bulb out. This seems to show that whatever switches the light on/off isnt working. My suspicions lie with the trunk catch microswitches which might also be linked to the roof issue. Does anyone have experience of this?
All input welcome..

LP,Manchester,UK

Last edited by Lady_Penelope; 06-28-2009 at 08:50 AM.
Lady_Penelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2009, 08:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2009
Vehicle: 2001 SLK 320 Auto in Linarite Blue
Hello, have a look at this website, here is the link - SLK Home Page.

It has a section on the roof mechanism, hope this helps, regards Damian.
Old 06-28-2009, 09:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Apr 2009
Vehicle: 2003 SLK230
If the boot (trunk) lid's not closed, the interior light will remain on. And I'm pretty sure that if the boot lid's not closed, the top won't operate either. So I'd probably point the finger at whatever's causing the boot lid not to close/lock. At least, I'd find out what's causing the interior light to stay on first and then see if the top works.
dynhm6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 09:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

I have now solved this problem-solution to follow for the benefit of others..!
Old 06-28-2009, 10:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Here is the solution.

The car is a 2004 R170 SLK 200.

The problem/symptoms;

(a) Courtesy light inside car did not go out when door was shut. Had to operate the switch on/off using the switch

(b) Light inside boot/trunk did not come on when boot lid was opened.

(c) When the roof operating button is held back,it flashes red and the hydraulic pump can be heard to run but nothing at all happens.

Cause.

Boot lock/microswitch assembly found to be sticking.

Open boot lid and you will see a plastic panel which covers the inner locking assembly.

The panel is held in place by three plastic rivets. The panel also has two plastic tags left and right which slot inside the metal bodywork to left and right and there is a locator lug on the rear of the plastic panel.

The rivets are of the two part,pry out type.

Carefully,and using a thin bladed implement such as a pen knife,raise the inner rivet pin by sliding the blade under its edge. Pull rivet pin out.

Repeat for all other rivets and lift cover away.

This now reveals the boot lock and microswitch assembly. The yellow tube carries compressed air to operate the central locking mechanism on the boot lock. To the right on the pic is the microswitch assembly into which the three wires are passing. To the left is the vertical metal rod which links to the boot catch and operating handle. Using some spray lube such as WD40,spray the linkages and operate the boot locking mechanism and handle a few times.

When you shut the boot you should now find that the courtesy light goes out and that the roof will now operate.

The microswitch in this assembly has a number of functions,

It operates the boot light
It forms part of the vario roof control system in that it signals that the boot is shut since the vario roof can only operate when the boot is shut.

Lady Penelope & Parker UK

Last edited by Lady_Penelope; 06-28-2009 at 12:45 PM.
Old 06-28-2009, 12:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: 2001 SLK 320
Good job at working through that and posting results. Thanks
Old 06-28-2009, 12:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Apr 2009
Vehicle: 2003 SLK230
Great post and I'm glad the problem turned out not to be the top.
dynhm6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 04:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2009
Vehicle: 2001 SLK 320 Auto in Linarite Blue
Hello, glad that you got it sorted, thanks for the info and pictures, regards Damian.
DJC013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 04:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2008
I am having a similar problem

I am having a similar problem with my 04 SLK. My interior light comes on briefly and periodically, this is something I have been noticing for the last couple of weeks. Yesterday when I went to open the roof, the side windows came down and the trunk lid opened up to allow the roof to enter, but then the whole operation stops, the roof doesn't begin to fold itself and move into the trunk. I can hold the button down and hear a whirring sound continue for as long as I hold the button, and I think I hear the latches disengage where the roof attaches to the windshield frame at the right time. The trunk lid returns to a closed position normally.

(One other note: I tried to open the roof at lunch today and it opened! But I closed it again and now I am getting the only-the-trunk-opens behavior again. Could it be a lubrication issue on the roof hinges themselves?)

My mechanic, who just replaced a failing roof sensor switch about a month ago, left for a 3 week vacation and I am stuck with the top up for the heart of the summer unless I can figure this out myself.

I will take a look at the sensor you discussed, thanks!
Boston, MA
jaronsampson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 08:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: 2001 SLK 320
jaronsampson,

When the trunk opens give the roof a smack on the frame with your left hand. How are your trunk struts does the trunk stay open?

Dome light can be PSE too.
Chris A is offline   Reply With Quote

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R170 SLK Class