Engine isn't cranking up? HELP!! - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R170 SLK Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2009, 06:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: '99 SLK230 sport
Engine isn't cranking up? HELP!!

In need of some advice: I go to start up my car today after not using it yesterday, turned the key to the second position and the radiator fan turns on to full blast (never experienced this before). Then I go to crank her up and nothing happens! Engine isn't turning and starter isn't going off. Could it be a broken starter? The battery is good and the car was driving fine the day before with no check engine light. I have no idea what the problem could be so any help is very much welcomed.

A jumpstart solved my problems... temporarily and nothing serious came from it; unlike the last time, when the merc. battery exploded during a jump session. Once again, thanks for your interest and concern.

Last edited by manicdemise; 02-24-2010 at 09:29 AM. Reason: Car Jump
manicdemise is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2009, 07:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2008
Vehicle: SLK 230 Kompressor 1998
I am not an expert, but at this point I would say get an OBD2 and check your codes.

Good Luck

RedScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 08:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2007
Vehicle: 2001 SLK 320(178K Miles), 2002 E320 Special Edition(156K Miles)
Have you done a load test on the battery or do you just believe it's good because the lights seems bright? Low voltage can play havoc with the computers and cause funny things to happen like you are experiencing. Another common one happening with low voltage is the wipers turning on when you turn to position 2.
The one thing you wouldn't see, is the engine cranking slowly like it did in the 'old' days. If the computer decides that the battery is low, it would not even engage the starter, so no slooow cranking.

Only two thing are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the former.
Albert Einstein

Honest politicians are like UFOs. Most people believe that there must be some out there somewhere, but nobody has yet been able to prove their existence.
Kobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 12:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2008
Vehicle: Facelifted 98 SLK230
Two thoughts...and I'm no expert so they are just thoughts...first, is the water pump ok and/or is the cooling system holding a vacuum properly (recent issue with '96 C280) - second, *maybe* try the following to get it to crank (again, C280 gave me a starting issue with a new-ish battery that's why I know to try) - push the accelerator to the floor, keep it there, and try to start it...

Good luck!
Slick98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 03:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2002 SLK 32 AMG 1997 SLK230 & 1978 280CE
Unless you are in an emergency situation, jump starting an SLK is not wise and potentially could cost you $$$..........

......the instrument cluster going out after a jump start comes to mind....

......if your battery goes open circuit under load, then other electronics can get fried if you remove the jumpers with the engine running

As Kobus suggests, a load test of the battery would be a good start.....

......if you haven't got the right equipment, then check the battery voltage drop when you turn the lights (and everythig else you can think of) on......do the lights stay on when you turn to start?

If you have another key....give it a try

Good luck.....but please check a few things before considering jump starting

David
David in Australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 02:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: '99 SLK230 sport
After driving car for a while, I gave it a rest all of yesterday (under the sun). To my surprise the car is inmobile again. As orginally suspected, the battery isn't the problem; changed my old merc. battery only to find out the same symptoms are occuring. Check fuses and what not, still don't know what's causing this. It may be this FL heat frying the electronics?

Last edited by manicdemise; 02-24-2010 at 09:32 AM. Reason: FL HEAT
manicdemise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 03:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2007
Vehicle: slk 230,01 boxster S,04 carrera911,02 rangerover 4.6hse 99 S320,67 GT350mustang,02G500L,96 s600 w140
Send a message via Yahoo to zft325
if you were able to jump your car then its the battery, i suspect its the battery. try to check fuel pump also. its at the rear right portion near the tire.
Old 06-20-2009, 10:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2007
Vehicle: 2001 SLK 320(178K Miles), 2002 E320 Special Edition(156K Miles)
Another thing that makes your fan run at full speed, is when the MAF is unplugged. That causes the ECU to go into a default mode, disabling timing maps and also turn on the radiator fan. So if you are sure you MAF is OK/plugged in, you may be looking at the ECU packing up. Or there may be some other sensors unplugged/bad, e.g. like the coolant temperature sensor.
Kobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 02:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 2009 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2007 SLK280
I have the same problem with wife's SLK230. Will not crank and the radiator fan will run full blast.. Please provide update when you find out what it is.
2004 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
1999 Audi A4
1998 SLK230

Last edited by ThunderStrike; 07-02-2009 at 01:26 PM.
ThunderStrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 03:15 PM   #10 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 2009 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2007 SLK280
Found this article. seems ECU could be the cause.

Mercedes SLK230 wont crank, battery is ok, this ... - JustAnswer

Quote:
Okay, if you have no problems with the locking/unlocking, this leads me to believe the PSE is fine (I would check it just in case, but most likely its good).

The aux fan coming on can be a few things. If it is not related, the actual aux fan control unit can be bad (this has happened before) or it could be a problem with the front SAM control module. This also fail from time to time but its hard to tell without actually diagnosing the car personally.

Now, if both the aux fan coming on and the car intermittantly not starting, this will lead me to believe the actual control module for the engine is faulty. The ecu (engine control module) sends the signal to the front sam to turn on the engine fans when the car reaches a certain temp. It also sends a signal to turn the fan off. If the front sam does not see a signal either way to turn it off or on, it will default and turn the fan on full speed to prevent the engine from overheating. A bad ecu will also cause your intermitant no start. It could also be a bad connection at the ecu. Check the connections to make sure there is no oil or water at the ecu. The ecu is on the right hand side of the engine bay (as you sit in the car) next to the battery under the black cover. Remove the torx screws to gain access to the ecu. It will be the silver control module with 5 connectors going to it. Unplug the connectors starting from the outside (either side) in. Let me know what you find
ThunderStrike is offline   Reply With Quote

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R170 SLK Class