#1 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 11:42 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: May 2009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
BAS/ESP warning light - 02' SLK 200

Hi I purchased my first Mercedes last week - a 2002 SLK 200 manual w/ 35k on the clock - Woohoo!!. However On the 2nd day of owning the car the BAS/ESP warning light came on whilst driving. I looked on these forums and found people with the same problem as mine. From what i gathered the most likely cause was the brake light switch. I rang a mercedes repair garage in Bristol to book the car in and as soon as i told them the problem they said it was also, proberly the brake light switch. After driving the car for a further 2 days, the engine check indicator lamp also came on. This light stayed on whereas the bas/esp light in on intermittently.

Anyway I took the car in for a B service and to repair both warning lights.
The diagostics came up that it was the rear wheel sensor (n/s/r) for the Bas/esp light. This was replaced along with a few other bits it needed which were: cam magnet, pulley belt (which is on order) and the washer jet. Which were for other little probs it had. I collected the car and it was fine with no warning lights on. After driving in for approx 2 hrs the BAS ESP light came on again. Its also coming on intermittely again.

I have read a quite a few forums with people having the same problem and some people have basically kept replacing bits till the prob is fixed which obv can get expensive. I have also read threads where the diagnostics were coming back saying that the rear wheel sensor and other things were faulty, but in actual fact the problem turned out to be something different like tyres pressure, etc

Can anyone who has had the same prob as mine, and found a fix or someone who might know whats wrong or whats best to look at.

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by Alnz_Benz; 05-22-2009 at 12:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 11:54 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: 2001 SLK230 SPORT
bas esp light

mine was on for a while until i checked the air pressure in my tires, the drivers front wheel was under inflated by about 7 pounds, i filled it up, and a few days later the lights went out, maybe it was a coincidence, but my lights went out, well not the check engine light, but i dont think that one will go out till you hook it up to a code reader.
#3 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 11:54 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Apr 2009
Vehicle: 2003 SLK230
It could be a number of things, but here's one fix that's free, quick and works in some cases: With the engine running, turn the steering wheel all the way to the right and then all the way to the left. Sometimes, this will reset the BAS/ESP and turn off the indicator light. If it fails, I'd take the car to an MB dealer.
#4 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 01:24 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jul 2012
Vehicle: 2000 C Class 220Cdi
Smile BAS/ESP Warning Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynhm6 View Post
It could be a number of things, but here's one fix that's free, quick and works in some cases: With the engine running, turn the steering wheel all the way to the right and then all the way to the left. Sometimes, this will reset the BAS/ESP and turn off the indicator light. If it fails, I'd take the car to an MB dealer.
When the BAS/ESP light stayed on I did the lock to lock manouver without success but after I applied brake before turning on the Ignition and held down before and holding during starting, this seems to work. So far so good.
#5 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 07:38 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Apr 2009
Vehicle: 2003 SLK230
For the first year and a half I had my car, the BAS/ESP light would come on intermittently. There was no rhyme or reason to it. It could come on when the car was cold or hot, when it was stopped or going, in rain or dry, night or day. None of these tricks would make it go off. However, turning the engine off and restarting always did the trick. The dealer diagnosed it as a failing wheel sensor and said it would eventually become constant at which point they'd be able to locate and replace the faulty one. Oddly, though, it went the other way and just stopped coming on and it hasn't been a problem for the past two years.
#6 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 10:56 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jul 2012
Vehicle: 2000 C Class 220Cdi
Can always make BAS/ESP Warning light go out at start-up by using the brake as described and everything seems to work correctly. When I start normally the light stays on so investigated further and discovered the Diaphram Travel Sensor (mounted on the Servo) has a short to ground/earth. New sensor ordered at a cost of £105 and is easy to replace so no labour charges. Will let you know if this does not do the trick.

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R170 SLK Class