Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Can anyone identify this box and cables/jacks? (modem burner!)

859 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  leapyfish 
#1 · (Edited)
I found a handful of items in my '03 230 that I'm unable to identify. Do any of these look familiar to anyone and, if so, can you clue me in on what they are:

This box was sitting (loose and unconnected to anything...) in the boot/trunk when I received the car. I don't know if it's related, but the OEM Mercedes CD-changer unit was sitting (loose) next to it (it was removed because the OEM head unit was replaced with a Kenwood, which doesn't mate with the Mercedes CD-changer):

These three cables/jacks are in the arm rest/storage box between the seats (I know about the circular antennae mast removal nut):

And, finally, this cable in the glove box:

It's possible that some (or all) of these items may be related to a Kenwood KNA-G510 GPS Navigation System that appears to've been installed previously (I received the GPS Instruction Manual along with the head unit's manual). Unfortunately, I've never had a GPS system before, so I know nothing about them.

See less See more
#2 ·
The rectangular, gray box looks like the Bipes Roof Commander module. And the jack and antenna connection appears to be for the integrated cellular phone.

#3 ·
Thanks. Are you talking about the three connections in the arm rest or the single connection in the glove box?

While following some leads on the Bipes Vario Roof Commander, I found a link that may answer the gray box riddle: it's an "MP3 Adaptor". I found a photo of it about 1/3 of the way down on this page. From the box's name, I'm guessing it added mp3 support to the OEM head unit (which was replaced by the current Kenwood unit, which doesn't require it).

#4 ·
Actually, I was referring to the one in the armrest. It's where the connections would have been made to the integrated phone.

#6 ·
That grey box is to connect an MP-3 player to the radio, the wire in the glove box is for an ipod aswell as the RCA single male cable in the center concole (ipod or anything thing that headphones would connect to), the eythernet looking plug looks like it would be for a phone. Looks like the person you bought the SLK from was well aware of his options for modifications, and did a good job installing them pretty neatly

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.